Mark Carrier (safety)
|No. 20, 27|
|Date of birth:||April 28, 1968|
|Place of birth:||Lake Charles, Louisiana|
|High school:||Long Beach (CA) Poly|
|NFL Draft:||1990 / Round: 1 / Pick: 6|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Carrier went to Long Beach Polytechnic High School and was a letterman in football. In football, he was a three-year varsity starter. Mark was named to the Parade All-American, USA Today All-American, and the Long Beach Press-Telegram 's Best-in-the-West teams in 1985.
Carrier is a 1989 graduate of the University of Southern California. As a junior in 1989, Carrier was named to the Playboy All-American team and became USC's only winner, to date, of the Jim Thorpe Award, presented annually to the nation's best defensive back. A two-time consensus first-team All-American, Carrier had seven interceptions in 1989, plus 107 tackles, three fumble recoveries and ten pass deflections. A three-year starter for the Trojans, Carrier finished his collegiate career with thirteen interceptions. Carrier was inducted into the USC Athletic Hall of Fame, class of 2006.
He was selected with the sixth pick of the 1990 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears. Carrier lined up at free safety and won Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1990, after he led the NFL with 10 interceptions, which also set the Bears record for most interceptions in a season. Carrier has also been fined for several of his hits, and also suffered three concussions during his career. Carrier played for the Bears from 1990 to 1996, the Detroit Lions (1997–99) and Washington Redskins until 2000. Carrier was known as a smart player, often leading the defense. He played in three Pro Bowls, in 1990, 1991 and 1993.
|Stats||Team||Games||Combined Tackles||Tackles||Assisted Tackles||Sacks||Forced Fumbles||Fumble Recoveries||Fumble Return Yards||Interceptions||Interception Return Yards||Average Yards per Interception Return||Longest Interception Return||Interceptions Returned for Touchdown||Pass Defended||Stuffs||Stuff Yards||Kick Blocks|
On February 13, 2012, he was hired by the Cincinnati Bengals as their defensive backs' coach until 2016 when he was fired.
- "Will Cutler set new Bears passing records?". Chicagobears.com. 2012-07-10. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- Fred Mitchell (2012-05-25). "Mark Carrier: Mark Carrier tries to understand deaths of Dave Duerson and Junior Seau - Chicago Tribune". Articles.chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- WARNER HESSLER (2000-07-25). "A Quarterback On Defense - Daily Press". Articles.dailypress.com. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- Cannizzaro, Mark (2010-02-13). "Pro Bowl safety to coach Jets' defensive line". NYPOST.com. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- "Mark Carrier Stats". ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 24 January 2014.