|The Most Reverend|
|Archbishop of Brisbane|
Coleridge in Canberra, 2011
|Archdiocese||Archdiocese of Brisbane|
|Appointed||2 April 2012|
|Installed||11 May 2012|
|Other posts||Member of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications (2011–present)|
|Ordination||18 May 1974|
by John Anthony Kelly
|Consecration||19 June 2002|
by Denis Hart
|Birth name||Mark Benedict Coleridge|
|Born||25 September 1948|
|Denomination||Roman Catholic Church|
|Parents||Bernard and Marjorie (née Harvey) Coleridge|
|Previous post||Archbishop of Canberra–Goulburn (2006-2012);|
Auxiliary Bishop of Melbourne (2002-2006)
|Alma mater||University of Melbourne;|
Corpus Christi College, Melbourne
|Motto||Sanguis et Aqua |
("Blood and Water")
|Coat of arms|
|Reference style||The Most Reverend|
|Spoken style||His Grace|
Mark Benedict Coleridge (born 25 September 1948) is an Australian Catholic bishop. Since 11 May 2012 he has served as the seventh Archbishop of Brisbane. He previously served as the Archbishop of Canberra–Goulburn (2006–12) and as an auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Melbourne (2002–06).
Mark Colerdide was born in Melbourne, Victoria. The third of five siblings born to Bernard and Marjorie (née Harvey) Coleridge, he was educated at Saint Joseph's School, Tranmere, South Australia, Rostrevor College, Adelaide, and St Kevin's College, Toorak. Contemplating a career in the Australian diplomatic service, he graduated from the University of Melbourne in 1968 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English in French. As a Melbourne seminarian, he entered Corpus Christi College, then in Werribee and later in Glen Waverley and Clayton.
On 18 May 1974, Coleridge was ordained a priest at St Patrick's Cathedral, Melbourne, by Bishop John A. Kelly, an auxiliary bishop of Melbourne. He worked as a parish priest there until moving to Rome where he earned a Licentiate in Sacred Scripture at the Biblicum in 1984 and a Doctorate in Sacred Scripture with dissertation on the Infancy Narrative in Luke's Gospel in April 1992. He returned to Melbourne in 1992, where he spent three years at several theology appointments. After some time in Rome devoted to doctoral studies and another stint in Melbourne, in 1997 he was appointed to a position in the Roman Curia at the Secretariat of State, where he spent four years.
On 3 May 2002, Pope John Paul II appointed Colerdige as an auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Melbourne. On 19 June 2006, Pope Benedict XVI named him as Archbishop of Canberra and Goulburn. On 29 December 2011 he was appointed a member of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications for a five-year renewable term. On 2 April 2012, Pope Benedict XVI named him Metropolitan Archbishop of Brisbane and he was installed on 11 May 2012.
As a member of the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference, Coleridge serves on that body's permanent committee, chairs its Commission for Evangelisation, and is a member of its Commission for Church Ministry.
The Australian Catholic Bishops Conference nominated Coleridge to serve as a delegate to the Synod on the Family in Rome in October 2015. There he served as the relator (reporting secretary) for one of the four English-language working groups.
Opposition to same-sex marriage
In 2017, during the national postal survey on same-sex marriage, Coleridge said he personally believed that the love shared by a same-sex couple could only ever be simply "the love of friends". He granted that excluding same-sex relationships from marriage was not the same as excluding close relatives from marrying, but said: "That is not to say that [same-sex couples] are not equal. It's simply saying that they are not the same and that they don't qualify for what we call marriage." He justified the position by arguing that children were not permitted to marry their parents, nor siblings permitted to marry one another.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mark Coleridge.|
- "Appointment of the new Metropolitan Archbishop of Brisbane: The Most Revd Mark Benedict Coleridge, DD" (PDF) (Press release). Catholic Church in Australia. 2 April 2012. Archived from the original on 4 May 2018. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Archbishop Mark Benedict Coleridge". Archdiocese of Canberra – Goulburn. 2009. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- "Biography". Archdiocese of Brisbane. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Nomina di membri del Pontificio Consiglio delle Comunicazioni Sociali" (Press release) (in Italian). Rome: Roman Catholic Church. 29 December 2011. Archived from the original on 2 June 2012. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- "Commissions Memberships". Catholic Church in Australia. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- McElwee, Joshua J. (13 October 2015). "Australian archbishop: Synod must change church's language, actions". National Catholic Reporter. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- Koziol, Michael (26 September 2017). "Like parents and kids, same-sex couples don't 'qualify' for marriage: Archbishop Mark Coleridge". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Archbishop Mark Coleridge biography". Archdiocese of Brisbane. Archived from the original on 10 March 2018. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
|Catholic Church titles|
| Archbishop of Canberra – Goulburn
| 7th Archbishop of Brisbane