Mark Costello (Oklahoma politician)
|Oklahoma Labor Commissioner|
January 10, 2011 – August 23, 2015
|Preceded by||Lloyd Fields|
|Succeeded by||Melissa Houston|
November 10, 1955|
Bartlesville, Oklahoma, U.S.
|Died||August 23, 2015
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, U.S.
|Resting place||Lockridge Cemetery
|Spouse(s)||Cathy Cerkey Costello (1982–2015; his death)|
|Residence||Edmond, Oklahoma, U.S.|
|Website||Oklahoma Department of Labor official website|
Mark Costello (November 10, 1955 – August 23, 2015) was the Commissioner of Labor of Oklahoma from 2011 to 2015. A Republican, he was elected in 2010, defeating the Democratic incumbent, Lloyd Fields. Before his election he was a businessman who founded several technology companies.
- July 27, 2010 Republican Primary
- November 2, 2010 General Election
- November 4, 2014 General Election
Costello was born in Bartlesville and graduated from College High School, then attended the University of Kansas while working summers on oil rigs in the North Sea. He married Cathy Cerkey in 1982; they had five children.
Costello founded American Computer & Telephone (AMCAT) in 1991, a telephone software company based in Oklahoma City. AMCAT was sold in 2007. He founded another telecommunications company, USA Digital Communications, in 1997. He identified as Catholic and pro-life, and was a member of the National Rifle Association.
Costello died from stab wounds suffered during a domestic incident on August 23, 2015, at a Braum's restaurant in Oklahoma City. His son, Christian Costello, was arrested following the incident.
- Susan Simpson, "Oklahoma elections: Costello wins primary, will meet Fields for labor commission spot", The Oklahoman, July 28, 2013.
- Randy Krehbiel, "Labor commissioner takes aim at public employee unions", Tulsa World, September 13, 2011 (pay site).
- "Okla. Labor Comm. says US rules attack rural farms", boston.com, November 30, 2011.
- "SUMMARY RESULTS: Primary Election – July 27, 2010". ok.gov. Retrieved August 24, 2015.
- "SUMMARY RESULTS: General Election – November 2, 2010". ok.gov. Retrieved August 24, 2015.
- "SUMMARY RESULTS: General Election – November 4, 2014". ok.gov. Retrieved August 24, 2015.
- "Oklahoma Agencies, Boards, and Commissions: Elected Officers, Cabinet, Legislature, High Courts, and Institutions", Oklahoma Department of Libraries, September 1, 2012.
- "SW Oklahoma Republican Women to host Costello at Tuesday meeting", altustimes.com, April 2010.
- Sharpton, Bethany (August 24, 2015), "Oklahoma State Labor Commissioner killed in stabbing at northwest Oklahoma City restaurant", KOCO TV 5, Oklahoma City: Ohio/Oklahoma Hearst Television Inc, retrieved 2015-08-24
- Holly Yan and Amanda Watts (August 24, 2015). "Oklahoma Labor Commissioner Mark Costello fatally stabbed by son, police say". CNN. Retrieved August 24, 2015.