This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
September 21, 1951 |
St. Albans, New York
He was a catcher at Golden West College before transferring to California State University, Long Beach where he was a member of Sigma Pi fraternity. Cresse was drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the third round of the 1971 MLB draft. He played three seasons of minor league baseball where he reached the Triple-A team of the Cardinals' organization.
Cresse was released by the Cardinals in 1974 then tried, and failed, to join the California Angels. He was able to join the Dodgers in the 1974 season as a bullpen catcher and batting practice pitcher, which were non-roster positions. He was named bullpen coach in 1977 by Tommy Lasorda, making him one of the youngest coaches in professional baseball at the age of twenty-seven.
He had a 25-season run as a member of the Dodgers' coaching staff, primarily as the bullpen coach, during which time he was a trusted advisor to the Dodgers' managers.
The Mark Cresse School of Baseball was established in 1984
The list of past students that played Major League Baseball includes Hall of Fame catcher Mike Piazza, Jeff Kent, J.T. Snow, Craig Wilson, Michael Young, Howie Clark, Rocky Bidle, Mark Trumbo and l Hank Conger
Cresse won two World Series championships with the Dodger in 1981 and 1988.
- Platt, Ben (Spring 1997). "Two Brothers in Dodger Blue" (PDF). The Emerald of Sigma Pi. Vol. 83 no. 2. p. 8.
- Edquist, Darrell (Winter 1982). "He Left Sigma Pi But Brotherhood Didn't" (PDF). The Emerald of Sigma Pi. Vol. 69 no. 4. p. 3.
- "Baseball Camps - Mark Cresse School of Baseball". Mark Cresse School of Baseball. Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- Career statistics and player information from The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Baseball-reference Mark Cresse at the baseball-reference.com bullpen page
- Los Angeles Dodgers' coaches page
- Mark Cresse School of Baseball
|Los Angeles Dodgers Bullpen Coach