Mark Cross (musician)
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (March 2011)|
2 August 1965 |
|Genres||Classic Rock Hard Rock Heavy metal, power metal|
|Associated acts||Ian Gillan
|Website||MC's OFFICIAL WEBSITE
Drum Dungeon/Vocal Lounge
Backline services/Gigs or what?
Mark Cross (born 2 August 1965, London) is a hard rock and heavy metal drummer. He was born to an English father and German mother, raised in Germany, the UK and Greece. Cross has played in many bands in his career and is based in London, England and Hamburg, Germany. He grew up in three countries and speaks fluent English, German, Greek and some French. Over the past 25 years he has been working as a professional musician with bands and artists, and earned a reputation in the international music industry as a musician and drummer.
Bands in his roster such as legendary German Power metallers Helloween and Metalium, Deep Purple's frontman Ian Gillan, gold sellers Kingdom Come, British classic rock band Saracen, Greek Power-Metal band Firewind, melodic Rock outfit Outloud, Whitesnake's and Thin Lizzy's bass player Marco Mendoza, New Wave of British Heavy Metal pioneers Tank and UK´s Tainted Nation and working with known Producers such as Chris Tsangarides, Charlie Bauerfeind, Frederik Nordstrom, Kip Winger and Tommy Hansen have left a great mark in his career.
In 2002, Cross was forced to leave his position in Helloween when he was diagnosed with mononucleosis, a severe virus that affected his immune system and ability to play for nearly one year, but has since fully recovered. In the end he recorded only two tracks with Helloween, both of which eventually featured on their Rabbit Don't Come Easy album in 2003.
In 2005 he featured as a touring musician for At Vance feat. Swedish rock singer Mats Leven and God´s Army´s bass player John ABC Smith and also appeared on the British rock band Saracen's album, Vox in Excelso and Tim Ripper Owen´s (ex Judas Priest, YJ Malmsteen, Iced Earth) first band Winters Bane's comeback album, Redivivus.
With Firewind he released Allegiance in July 2006, and toured with them extensively throughout the world in 2006 and 2007 playing more than 150 shows. With their strongest release The Premonition released in April 2008, they started another world tour in Europe in April – May followed by thirty concerts in North America with Swedish metallers Arch Enemy. The same year they announced various festivals and their first headline tour across Europe, which started on 15 September in the UK. On 13 January 2010 Cross left Firewind. While Cross was not pictured in any of the album artwork or the line up for Firewind's album Days of Defiance, he was credited in the liner notes for performing all drums on the album, but not for writing some of their music and lyrics.
In 2009 Cross and his former band mate Bob Katsionis from Firewind launched a new band and album Outloud. "We'll rock you to hell..." by Frontiers Records and gained superb press feedback, which apparently led to a dispute between Firewind and Cross.
On 27 July 2011 Outloud's second album Love Catastrophe had been released by AOR Heaven in Europe, which once more gained tremendous reviews from the world press. In June 2011 they opened a show for Twisted Sister in Athens, Greece.
In October 2010 Cross announced UK Supergroup Tainted Nation, with main song writer Pete Newdeck, on vocals (drummer of Eden's Curse, ex Killerrs, Grim Reaper), Ian Nash on Guitar (Steve Grimmet band), Joel Peters on Guitar (Fury) and Pontus Egberg on Bass of (currently) King Diamond, ex - The Poodles.
The album had been mixed in 2011 by Dennis Ward (PInk Cream 69, Unisonic ...) and got signed by German Management Rock'n Growl and Massacre Records in 2012. With their first album, which has been described as "Rock 2012" and with the quite unique and identifying sounding voice of Pete Newdeck, TN definitely achieved a promising and modern sounding rock mix and worth listening to. The band has toured the UK and attended on the Smokehead Rocks Tour in October 2011 and a headline tour in Spain in October 2013. They also landed their first song "Dare You" on the Magazine Fireworks CD in 2011.
The band also released their first video "Loser", the remake of the song "Bimbo", originally written by Max Martin, Alexander Kronlund and Per Aldeheim for the Swedish pop-rock band Lambretta, which had landed in the Swedish charts a No2 in 2001, has now been re-titled "Loser" and received over 240K hits on YouTube. The video can be heard and watched on YouTube
Loser appears on Tainted Nation's debut album, F.E.A.R., which was released on 25 January 2013 via Massacre Records.
In February 2012 Greece's most popular rock singer George Gakis released his new CD "Too much ain't never enough" via Perris Records, where Mark drummed on the entire album, except for two songs, which were played by Bobby Rondinelli and James Kottak. This extraordinary album features also special guests vocalist Joe Lynn Turner, Greg Smith (Over the Rainbow) on Bass and legendary Greek guitar player Yannis Spathas. Mixed and mastered by Kip Winger, a must buy for every Classic Rock fan!
At Christmas 2011 Outloud announced the release of "More Catastrophe", a six-song EP which contains three brand new songs plus the aforementioned Christmas single, and a Flamenco version of the song "Falling Rain" and a piano & vocals version of the track "We Run". The EP is available in stores and digitally across Europe via AOR Heaven and via Rubicon Records in Japan since February 2012.
In 2012 Cross recorded a song for Italian composer and bass player Alberto Rigoni's new album Three wise monkeys and also played a few shows alongside Marco Mendoza, ex Whitesnake, Ted Nugent, Thin Lizzy's (now Blackstar Riders') bass player and Soren Anderson on guitar (Glenn Hughes). The three of them played six shows in the UK in October.
Mark became a father to his son Anthony, born 4 July 2012, and devoted more time to his family in 2012. Besides playing shows with Tainted Nation and London Club shows with friends Davey Rimmer (Uriah Heep) and singer Luka Twich Ravase throughout the year mostly, he fit in on 19 October 2013 for a sold out headline show at FIREFEST in Nottingham, England with US act HARDLINE.
On 5 April 2014 Mark replaced James Kottak's, who got arrested in Dubai, for one show with the SCORPIONS at the Grand Prix Formula 1 in Bahrain in front of 30000 spectators. Rumours say that he had been asked to fit in weeks before Kottak's arrest.
In March Mark also released the long awaited debut with a band called "God's Army A.D.", who had kept this great album in working process for nearly ten years! A severe car accident of frontman and bassist John ABC Smith and Cross'obligations with Firewind obviously delayed the release until now.
Cross recently finished the recording for the new Tainted Nation album and newcomers Tower of Babel´s first album, a new combo featuring Csaba Zvekan on vocals, Joe Stump on Guitar, Maestro Mistheria and originally Craig Gruber (Rainbow, Elf) on Bass, who died on May 5, 2015.
Tainted Nation are currently mixing their second album and are planning the release in October 2015.
Cross recently announced leaving his endorsement with Paiste cymbals after 16 years.
Cross is endorsed by Tama Drums, Vic Firth drumsticks, Evans drumheads and cymbals in the shape of Iron Crosses made by [Factory Metal Percussion] and is also sponsored by Pirate Wear. and Flaming 13.
In his free time Cross gives private drum lessons in the UK and in Germany and workshops whenever and wherever asked.
- [1985 feat. on Soundtrack "Time of Growing" by Dimitri Papadimitriou CBS Records]
- [1987 feat. with Analog Dreams on "Greece Attacks" Metal compilation]
- [1989 Magna Carta "Magna Carta" MBI Music ]
- [1992 Bad Habit "Bad Habit" CRP Records 2002]
- [1993 Mike Rakintzis feat. Ian Gillan "Getaway" EMI Records]
- [1999 Nightfall "Diva Futura" Holy Records]
- [1999 Nightfall "Electronegative" single - Holy Records]
- [2000 Kingdom Come "Too" Eagle/Spitfire Records]
- [2000 Metalium "State of triumph Chapter II" Massacre Records]
- [2000 Metalium feat. Helloween tribute "Ride the sky" Arise Records]
- [2000 Metalium feat. Abba tribute "Thank you for the music" Nuclear Blast Records]
- [2000 Metalium feat. Scorpions tribute "Another piece of meat" Nuclear Blast Records]
- [2001 Metalium "Metalium Attack Vol I" DVD - Locomotive Records]
- [2001 Metalium "Metalium Live Attack Vol I" Locomotive Records]
- [2002 feat. Metalium "Hero Nation" Bonus live CD ]
- [2003 feat. Helloween "Rabbit don´t come easy" Nuclear Blast]
- [2005 At Vance "Chained" AFM Records]
- [2005 Winters bane "Redivivus" ]
- [2006 Firewind "Allegiance" Century Media Records]
- [2006 Firewind "Breaking the silence" single - Century Media Records]
- [2006 Firewind "Falling to pieces" single - Century Media Records]
- [2006 Saracen "Vox in Excelso" Escape Records]
- [2007 feat. Battleroar "Age of Chaos"]
- [2008 Firewind feat, Nevermore tribute " " Century Media Records]
- [2008 Firewind "Mercenary Man" single - Century Media Records]
- [2008 Firewind "Premonition" Century Media Records]
- [2009 Firewind "Live Premonition" Century Media Records]
- [2009 Firewind "live Premonition" DVD - Century Media Records]
- [2009 Outloud "We´ll rock you to hell ...." Frontiers Music]
- [2011 Outloud "Love catastrophe" AOR Heaven]
- [2011 Firewind "World on Fire" single - Century Media Records]
- [2011 Firewind "Days of defiance" Century Media Records]
- [2012 Outloud "More Catastrophe" single - AOR Heaven]
- [2013 Tainted Nation "F.E.A.R." Massacre records]
- [2013 feat. George Gakis "Too much ain´t never enough"]
- [2014 God´s Army AD "God´s Army" Massacre Records]
Bands to have featured Mark Cross
- 1993 Ian Gillan
- 2000–2001 Metalium
- 2001–2003 Helloween
- 2000 Kingdom Come
- 2006–2010 Firewind
- 2011 Tank
- 2009-20011 Outloud
- 2010–Current Tainted Nation
- 2012 Tainted Nation official YouTube channel
- 2013 Hardline
- 2014 The Scorpions