Mark Cross (musician)
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
2 August 1965 |
|Genres||Rock, hard rock, heavy metal, power metal|
|Associated acts||Ian Gillan, Metalium, Helloween, Kingdom Come, Winter's Bane, Firewind, Saracen, Tainted Nation, Outloud, Hardline|
Mark Cross (born 2 August 1965) is a British hard rock and heavy metal drummer. He was born in London, England, to an English father and German mother, raised in Germany, the UK and Greece. Cross has played in many bands in his career and is based in London, England and Hamburg, Germany. Over the past 30 years he has been working as a professional musician and earned a reputation in the international music industry as a drummer. Bands in his roster include German power metal bands Helloween and Metalium, Deep Purple's frontman Ian Gillan, gold sellers Kingdom Come, British classic rock band Saracen, Greek power metal band Firewind, melodic rock outfit Outloud, Whitesnake's and Thin Lizzy's bass player Marco Mendoza, new wave of British heavy metal pioneers Tank and UK´s Tainted Nation. He worked with known producers such as Chris Tsangarides, Charlie Bauerfeind, Frederik Nordstrom, Kip Winger and Tommy Hansen, who have left a great mark in his career.
At an early age Cross started playing Piano and Guitar, but soon found his main path in drums when he was nine. With hard work, he made it from small stages to the big ones. He loved Jazz and Rock, although his parents tried to guide him to classical music. But in fact 60s Jazz and 70s Rock mostly drew his attention and Billy Cobham, Ian Paice and Jon Bonham became his primary idols, who left a great mark in his playing.
In 2002, Cross was forced to leave his position in Helloween when he was diagnosed with mononucleosis, a severe virus that affected his immune system and ability to play for nearly one year, but has since fully recovered. In the end he recorded only two tracks with Helloween, both of which eventually featured on their Rabbit Don't Come Easy album in 2003.
In 2005 he featured as a touring musician for At Vance feat. Swedish rock singer Mats Levén and God´s Army´s bass player John ABC Smith and also appeared on the British rock band Saracen's album, Vox in Excelso and Tim "Ripper" Owens´s (ex Judas Priest, Yngwie Malmsteen, Iced Earth) first band Winter's Bane's comeback album, Redivivus.
With Firewind he released Allegiance in July 2006, and toured with them extensively throughout the world in 2006 and 2007 playing more than 150 shows. With their strongest release The Premonition released in April 2008, they started another world tour in Europe in April – May of the same year, followed by thirty concerts in North America with Swedish Death Metal Band Arch Enemy. The same year they were present at various festivals and headlined their first tour across Europe, which started on 15 September in the UK. On 13 January 2010 Cross left Firewind. While Cross was not pictured in any of the album artwork or the line up for Firewind's album Days of Defiance, he was credited in the liner notes for performing all drums on the album, but not for writing some of their music and lyrics.
In 2009 Cross and his former band mate Bob Katsionis from Firewind launched a new band and album Outloud. Their debut album We'll Rock You to Hell and Back Again! was released by Frontiers Records and gained superb press feedback, which apparently led to a dispute between Firewind and Cross, although band leader Gus G had joined the band of Ozzy Osbourne. On 27 July 2011, Outloud's second album Love Catastrophe was released by AOR Heaven in Europe, which once more gained tremendous reviews from the world press. In June 2011 they opened a show for Twisted Sister in Athens, Greece and shortly after released the Christmas single More Catastrophe, a six-song EP which contained three new songs plus the aforementioned Christmas single, a flamenco version of the song "Falling Rain" and a piano and vocals version of the track "We Run".
In October 2010 the UK supergroup Tainted Nation was announced, with main song writer Pete Newdeck, on vocals (drummer of Eden's Curse, ex-Killerrs, Grim Reaper), Ian Nash on guitar (Steve Grimmet band), Joel Peters on guitar (Fury) and Pontus Egberg on bass (King Diamond, ex-The Poodles) and Mark on the drums. The album had been mixed in 2011 by Dennis Ward (Pink Cream 69, Unisonic) and got signed by German label Massacre Records in 2012. The band has toured the UK and attended on the Smokehead Rocks Tour in October 2011 and toured as headliners in Spain in October 2013. They also landed their first song "Dare You" on the Magazine Fireworks CD in 2011. The band released their first video "Loser", the remake of the song "Bimbo", written by Max Martin, Alexander Kronlund and Per Aldeheim for the Swedish pop-rock band Lambretta, which had landed in the Swedish charts a No. 2 in 2001; it has now been re-titled "Loser" and received over 240K hits on YouTube. "Loser" appears on Tainted Nation's debut album, F.E.A.R., which was released on 25 January 2013 via Massacre Records. In 2012 they released their second Video clip of "Dare you". The band toured Spain and played some shows across Europe, but mainly focused on the UK and on February 2016, they released their second album On the Outside via German Label Pride & Joy/Edel.
Besides Mark´s busy band schedule, he stood in as touring drummer for NWOBHM veterans Tank in 2011, featuring original members Mick Tucker and Cliff Evans on guitar, Doogie White (Rainbow, Schenker) on vocals and Chris Dale (Bruce Dickinson) on Bass, with Marco Mendoza, ex-Whitesnake, Ted Nugent, Thin Lizzy, Backstair Riders (now Dead Daisies') bass player and Soren Anderson on guitar (Glenn Hughes) on the UK Tour in 2012. On October 19, 2013, Cross stood in for US act Hardline's sold out headline show at Firefest in Nottingham. In 2016 he played a few shows with Frank Blackfire, ex-guitarist of German thrash metal bands Sodom and Kreator in Germany and in Japan and with Suisse Doom Metal band Exorcism in the Netherlands and Belgium. He recorded drums on the Albums of Greek rock singer George Gakis Too Much Ain't Never Enough , Tower of Babel´s (to be released in 2017 by Lion Music) , featuring Csaba Zvekan on vocals, Joe Stump on guitar, Maestro Mistheria and originally Craig Gruber (Elf, Rainbow) on Bass, who sadly passed away on May 5, 2015. Nic Angilieri was given the position of bass player instead.
In 2015 Romanian Rock Band "Resident EX" recruited Mark for the recordings of their new album "Audio Doping", which has recently been released in 2017 and also features on Italian composer and Bass player Alberto Rigoni's album Three Wise Monkeys and on the masterpiece "Vivaldi Metal Project", released by Pride & Joy Music in 2016.
On April 4, 2014, Cross received an early morning call and found himself playing with the Scorpions at the Grand Prix Formula 1 in Bahrain in front of 30000 spectators. In March 2014, Cross released the debut with NWOBHM act God's Army. The band first started in 2006, but due to a severe car accident of frontman and bassist John ABC Smith and Cross' commitments with Firewind, a release had been postponed to 2014. The band started playing shows again and entered the studio in 2016 to record the second album in Hamburg, Germany, which is most likely to be released in 2017.
Out of his well equipped Studio "The Drum Dungeon" in Hamburg, Germany, Mark is recording drums on new projects for Bands and Producers. http://www.facebook.com/TheDrumDungeon and https://soundbetter.com/profiles/49544-mark-cross-(the-drum-dungeon) One can also see him at a regular show in London at "The Big Red" with the super line up "Stonehenge", presenting a Best of Classic Rock ..... feat. Luka Ravase on Vocals (Mick Underwood´s Glory Road, Metalworks), Matt Pearce on Guitar (Voodoo Six), Davey Rimmer on Bass (Uriah Heep), Ade Emsley on Bass (Independent) and Gab Soulavy on Organ and Synth (Independent) on e Thursday of each month. In Germany he also sometimes performs with his power Trio "L.S.C.", a "Best of Hard Rock....." combo featuring longtime friends Matthias Lange (Metalium, Bon Scott) on Guitar and John ABC Smith on Bass/Vocals (God´s Army).
- [1985 feat. on Soundtrack "Time of Growing" by Dimitri Papadimitriou CBS Records]
- [1987 feat. with Analog Dreams on "Greece Attacks" Metal compilation]
- [1989 Magna Carta "Magna Carta" MBI Music ]
- [1992 Bad Habit "Bad Habit" CRP Records 2002]
- [1993 Mike Rakintzis feat. Ian Gillan "Getaway" EMI Records]
- [1999 Nightfall "Diva Futura" Holy Records]
- [1999 Nightfall "Electronegative" single - Holy Records]
- [2000 Kingdom Come "Too" Eagle/Spitfire Records]
- [2000 Metalium "State of triumph Chapter II" Massacre Records]
- [2000 Metalium feat. Helloween tribute "Ride the sky" Arise Records]
- [2000 Metalium feat. Abba tribute "Thank you for the music" Nuclear Blast Records]
- [2000 Metalium feat. Scorpions tribute "Another piece of meat" Nuclear Blast Records]
- [2001 Metalium "Metalium Attack Vol I" DVD - Locomotive Records]
- [2001 Metalium "Metalium Live Attack Vol I" Locomotive Records]
- [2002 feat. Metalium "Hero Nation" Bonus live CD ]
- [2003 feat. Helloween "Rabbit don´t come easy" Nuclear Blast]
- [2005 At Vance "Chained" AFM Records]
- [2005 Winters bane "Redivivus" ]
- [2006 Firewind "Allegiance" Century Media Records]
- [2006 Firewind "Breaking the silence" single - Century Media Records]
- [2006 Firewind "Falling to pieces" single - Century Media Records]
- [2006 Saracen "Vox in Excelso" Escape Records]
- [2007 feat. Battleroar "Age of Chaos"]
- [2008 Firewind feat, Nevermore tribute " " Century Media Records]
- [2008 Firewind "Mercenary Man" single - Century Media Records]
- [2008 Firewind "Premonition" Century Media Records]
- [2009 Firewind "Live Premonition" Century Media Records]
- [2009 Firewind "live Premonition" DVD - Century Media Records]
- [2009 Outloud "We´ll rock you to hell ...." Frontiers Music]
- [2011 Outloud "Love catastrophe" AOR Heaven]
- [2011 Firewind "World on Fire" single - Century Media Records]
- [2011 Firewind "Days of defiance" Century Media Records]
- [2012 Outloud "More Catastrophe" single - AOR Heaven]
- [2013 Tainted Nation "F.E.A.R." Massacre records]
- [2013 feat. George Gakis "Too much ain´t never enough"] Perris Records
- [2014 God´s Army AD "God´s Army" Massacre Records]
- [2015 feat. George Gakis "Too much ain´t never enough"] Rock of Angels Records (re issued)]
- [2016 Tainted Nation "On The Outside" Pride & Joy Records (Edel)]
Bands that have featured Mark Cross
- 1993 Ian Gillan
- 2000–2001 Metalium
- 2001–2003 Helloween
- 2000 Kingdom Come
- 2006 - current God´s Army
- 2006–2010 Firewind
- 2011 Tank
- 2009-2011 Outloud
- 2010–current Tainted Nation
- 2012 Tainted Nation official YouTube channel
- 2013 Hardline
- 2014 The Scorpions
- 2014 - current Tower of Babel
- 2016 Frank Blackfire
- 2017 - current Stonehenge
- 2017 - current LSC - Lange, Smith & Cross
- Mark Cross official Website
- Mark Cross official YouTube channel
- Mark Cross official Facebook page
- Crossroads Productions - Artist Event Agency
- CRP official Facebook page
- Drum Dungeon Studios Hamburg
- DD Studios official Facebook page
- MC Drum Tuition≥ official Facebook page
- Studio Recordings - Hire Mark Cross for your Production