Mark Davies (bishop of Middleton)
|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Middleton|
|Diocese||Diocese of Manchester|
|Other posts||Archdeacon of Rochdale (2006–2008)
acting Bishop of Manchester (2013; with Chris Edmondson)
|Consecration||25 April 2008
by John Sentamu
|Born||12 May 1962|
|Residence||The Hollies, Rochdale|
|Alma mater||University of Leeds|
Early life and education
His first pastoral appointment was as a curate at St Mary's Church in Barnsley from 1989 to 1992, after which he served as the Priest-in-Charge at St Paul’s Church, Old Town, Barnsley from 1992 to 1995. His next appointment was as Rector of Hemsworth from 1995 to 2006. Whilst at Hemsworth, he was a Vocations Advisor and Assistant Director of Ordinands for the Diocese of Wakefield from 1998 to 2006, and Rural Dean of Pontefract and member of the General Synod from 2000 to 2006. He was also an honorary canon of Wakefield Cathedral from 2002 to 2006.
He was nominated Bishop of Middleton on 10 March 2008 in succession to Michael Lewis who was translated to the Anglican Diocese of Cyprus and the Gulf. At the time of his appointment, he was the Church’s youngest bishop.
Davies, along with Chris Edmondson (Bishop of Bolton) and Robert Paterson (Bishop of Sodor and Man), was consecrated on 25 April 2008 at York Minster by John Sentamu, Archbishop of York. He was installed at Manchester Cathedral on 27 April 2008.
Davies' residence is The Hollies, Manchester Road, Rochdale in Greater Manchester. He has immediate Episcopal concern over all of the Archdeaconry of Rochdale, and, within the Archdeaconry of Manchester, the deaneries of the city of Manchester. Between the retirement of Nigel McCulloch on 17 January 2013 and David Walker's confirmation on 7 October 2013, Davies and Edmondson were (co-equally) acting Bishops of Manchester.
Davies was married to Joanne and they have one son. It was announced on 30 May 2012 that Davies and his wife of 21 years were to divorce. His interests include literature, music, food, walking and gardening.
- The Reverend Mark Davies (1989–2002)
- The Reverend Canon Mark Davies (2002–2006)
- The Venerable Mark Davies (2006–2008)
- The Right Reverend Mark Davies (2008–present)
- Who's Who 2012 – Middleton, Bishop Suffragan of
- "Suffragan See of Middleton". Number10. 10 March 2008. Archived from the original on 9 September 2008.
- "Bishop of Middleton". Diocese of Manchester. Retrieved 13 March 2010.
- Andy Russell (11 March 2008). "New bishops in pledge". Manchester Evening News.[permanent dead link]
- Fr Andrew Teather (10 March 2008). "The New Bishop of Middleton". Anglican Wanderings. Retrieved 13 March 2010.
- "Making History at York" (PDF). CRUX. Diocese of Manchester. 38 (9): 8–9. June 2008.
- "A triple Bishop making". BBC Manchester. Retrieved 13 March 2010.
- BBC Manchester — A triple Bishop making
- "Provincial Directory: Manchester". Anglican Communion Official Website. Retrieved 13 March 2010.
- Diocese of Manchester – Bishop of Manchester has retired (Accessed 16 November 2015)
- "New Greater Manchester bishops revealed". Rochdale Online. Retrieved 13 March 2010.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Middleton
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mark Davies (Anglican bishop).|