Mark Davies (Bishop of Shrewsbury)
|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Shrewsbury|
Bishop Mark Davies at the 2011 Invocation Festival
|Appointed||1 October 2010|
|Ordination||11 February 1984|
|Consecration||22 February 2010
by Brian Noble
12 May 1959 |
Born in Manchester, Lancashire in 1959, he attended two schools in Longsight: St Richard's R.C. Primary School and St Robert's R.C. Primary School, and two others in Heaton Chapel, Stockport: Broadstone Hall Primary School and St Anne's Roman Catholic High School. Following his secondary education, he attended the University of Durham and trained for the priesthood at Ushaw College, Durham for the Diocese of Salford.
He was ordained a priest on 11 February 1984 at St Joseph's Church, Reddish, Stockport, by the Right Reverend Thomas Holland, Bishop of Salford. His first pastoral appointments was as an assistant priest at Our Lady of Grace's Church in Prestwich from March to September 1984, followed by at St Mary’s Church, Swinton from September 1984 to December 1988.
He was appointed the parish priest at St John Bosco's Church, Blackley, Manchester (1992–2003) and became the Dean of North Manchester Deanery. He was appointed the Vicar General of the Diocese of Salford from January 2003 to February 2009.
On 22 December 2009, he was appointed the Coadjutor Bishop of Shrewsbury, and consecrated to the Episcopate at St Anthony's Church, Wythenshawe, Manchester on the 22 February 2010. The principal consecrator was Bishop Brian Noble of Shrewsbury; the principal co-consecrators were Archbishop Patrick Kelly of Liverpool and Bishop Terence Brain of Salford.
- Bishop Mark Davies. Catholic Hierarchy. Retrieved on 12 March 2010.
- Right Reverend Mark Davies. The Catholic Church in England and Wales website. Retrieved on 12 March 2010.
- "Monsignor Mark Davies announced as new Coadjutor Bishop of Shrewsbury", 22 December 2009.
- "Bishop Mark Davies ordained as Coadjutor Bishop of the Diocese of Shrewsbury", Retrieved 12 March 2010.
- "Shrewsbury's new Catholic bishop succeeds in October". BBC News: Shropshire. 7 September 2010.
- "New Bishop of Shrewsbury hoping for long career". BBC News: Shropshire. 2 October 2010.