Mark Derr is an American author and journalist, noted for his books on dogs, as well as the social and environmental developments of Florida. His articles have appeared in various well-known magazines, such as The Atlantic Monthly and Natural History, in addition to several other periodicals.
Born in Baltimore, Maryland, Derr was educated at Johns Hopkins. He currently lives with his wife Gina in Miami Beach.
His books include:
- Over Florida (Mark Derr and Cameron Davidson) 1992 Mallard Press New York 
- The frontiersman : the real life and the many legends of Davy Crockett, New York : W. Morrow, 1993.In 903 WorldCat Libraries 
- A dog's history of America : how our best friend explored, conquered, and settled a continent . New York : North Point Press, 2004 In 554 WorldCat libraries 
- Dog's best friend : annals of the dog-human relationship. New York : H. Holt and Co., 1997. in 553 worldCat libraries 
- Translated into Japanese as 美しい犬、働く犬 : アメリカの犬たちはいま... / Utsukushii inu hataraku inu : amerika no inutachi wa ima. ITōkyō : Sōshisha, 2001. SBN 9784794210814 
- Review, The New York times book review. (August 10, 1997): 6 
- Some kind of paradise : a chronicle of man and the land in Florida New York : W. Morrow, 1989. In 435 WorldCat libraries 
- Review, Forest & Conservation History, Jul., 1992, vol. 36, no. 3, p. 141 
- How the dog became the dog: From wolves to our best friends 2011 Overlook Duckworth United States and United Kingdom