Duplass in October 2011
|Born||Mark David Duplass
December 7, 1976
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Katie Aselton (2006–present)|
|Relatives||Jay Duplass (brother)|
Mark David Duplass (born December 7, 1976) is an American film director, film producer, actor, musician, and screenwriter. He is the brother of director, writer, and actor Jay Duplass. Together, the brothers started the film production company Duplass Brothers Productions, and have directed films such as The Puffy Chair (2005), Jeff, Who Lives at Home (2011), and The Do-Deca-Pentathlon (2012). Mark and Jay co-created the HBO television series Togetherness in 2015. He is married to his The League co-star Katie Aselton.
Duplass was born in New Orleans, Louisiana, to Cynthia (née Ernst) and Lawrence Duplass. He was raised as a Roman Catholic, and attended Jesuit High School, University of Texas at Austin, and City University of New York-City College. Duplass is of part Cajun ancestry.
Duplass has written, directed, and produced several feature films with his brother Jay Duplass. In 2005, he wrote and produced The Puffy Chair with his brother, in addition to portraying one of the main characters.
The two brothers later wrote, directed, and produced the films Baghead (2008) and Cyrus (2010) together and have a unique style which consists of a great deal of ad-libbing off of the original script, shooting a number of takes, and editing scenes down 15 to 20 times. Their films Jeff, Who Lives at Home and The Do-Deca-Pentathlon were released in 2012. He stars in the FX comedy television series The League, with his wife, Katie Aselton. In 2015, the HBO series Togetherness debuted, which was created by and stars Duplass. That same year, Duplass co-starred with Evan Peters and Olivia Wilde in David Gelb's thriller film The Lazarus Effect.
|2005||The Puffy Chair||Uncredited||Yes||Yes|
|2012||Lovers of Hate||No||Yes*||No|
|2011||Jeff, Who Lives at Home||Yes||No||Yes|
|2012||Your Sister's Sister||No||Yes*||No|
|2012||Safety Not Guaranteed||No||Yes*||No|
|2014||The One I Love||No||Yes*||No|
|2014||The Skeleton Twins||No||Yes*||No|
|2015||The Lazarus Effect||No||Yes*||No|
Independent and short film
|2002||The New Brad||Short film||No||Yes||Yes|
|2003||This Is John||Short film||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|2005||The Intervention||Short film||No||Yes||Yes|
|2002||The New Brad||Brad|
|2005||The Puffy Chair||Josh|
|2007||Hannah Takes the Stairs||Mike|
|2009||Other People's Parties||Doug Rhineau|
|2009–15||The League||Pete Eckhart|
|2011||Your Sister's Sister||Jack|
|2012||Safety Not Guaranteed||Kenneth Calloway|
|2012||Darling Companion||Bryan Alexander|
|2012||People Like Us||Ted|
|2012||Zero Dark Thirty||Steve|
|2012–16||The Mindy Project||Brendan Deslaurier|
|2014||The One I Love||Ethan|
|2015||The Lazarus Effect||Frank Walton|
|2015||Comedy Bang! Bang!||Himself|
|2016||Blue Jay||Jim Henderson|
- "The Week Ahead; Low budget and brotherly". Los Angeles Times. July 3, 2006. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- King, Susan (July 6, 2006). "Puffy Chair carves out a living". Kansas City Star.
- "Mr. John Anthony Ernst, Jr. Obituary - Lake Lawn Metairie Funeral Home and Cemeteries". Stei-23818.tributes.com. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- Hood, Shannon (March 19, 2010). "SXSW Interview: 'Cyrus' Directors Mark and Jay Duplass". The Flickcast. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- "Jay Duplass Talks Moving To The Mainstream At The 2011 Savannah Film Festival". Indiewire. March 2, 2012. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- Lamble, David. "The Bay Area Reporter Online | Now playing & resonating". Ebar.com. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- Freydkin, Donna (November 12, 2009). "Mark Duplass, Katie Aselton: In 'The League' and in love". USA Today. Retrieved January 18, 2010.
- D'Addario, Daniel (March 14, 2012). "Mark and Jay, Who Live in L.A.: The Post-Mumblecore Duplass Brothers Grow Up". The New York Observer.
- "I'm Still Excited Volcano - Volcano, I'm Still Excited!! LP". CD Universe. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- Dargis, Manohla (June 17, 2010). "Mommy Dearest, You're Mine Forever". The New York Times.
- Needles, Tim. "5 Questions for the cast of the new film Cyrus". Short and Sweet NYC. Retrieved January 27, 2012.
- Scott, A. O. (March 15, 2012). "Up From the Basement, Slacker Metaphysics". The New York Times.
- Holden, Stephen (July 5, 2012). "Too Old for Sibling Rivalry? Never, Brothers Say". The New York Times.
- Holden, Stephen (July 5, 2012). "The Lazarus Effect". The New York Times.
- Rotten, Tomatoes (May 28, 2015). "'Mars'". Rotten Tomatoes.
- Miska, Brad (July 5, 2012). "'The Lazarus Effect' Trailer Resurrects…Hell?!". The New York Times.