Farmer at the 2018 Phoenix Comic Fest
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
|Awards||Eagle Award for Favourite Comic Book Artist (inks) (2000)|
Inkwell Award for Favorite Inker (2012)
He is primarily known these days as an inker, although he has done some pencilling as well (for instance, collaborating with writer Len Wein on an early 1980s run on Green Lantern). Like nearly all those involved in the British Invasion, Farmer got his start at the British weekly comic 2000 AD, where he pencilled such series as Judge Dredd and Anderson: Psi Division.
Farmer usually forms a team with writer/penciler Alan Davis. The pair, who first teamed on 1987's D.R. and Quinch for 2000 AD, have worked together on such titles as Marvel Comics' Excalibur, Avengers, Fantastic Four and Uncanny X-Men. For DC their work includes Superman and JLA as well as cover work on Green Lantern. He also helped co-write Gen¹³: Bootleg.
In 2004, Farmer inked John Byrne's pencils on Superman: True Brit a graphic novel written by former Monty Python member John Cleese and Kim Johnson. It reimagines the origin of Superman, by considering how Clark Kent's upbringing would be different if his spaceship had crashed in England instead of the fictional town of Smallville.
In 2012 Farmer was awarded the Inkwell Award for Favorite Inker.
- Tharg's Future Shocks:
- Rogue Trooper: "Killothon" (inks, with Pat Mills and pencils by Mike Collins, in Dice Man No. 3, 1986)
- Slaine (with Pat Mills and Mike Collins):
- "Spoils of Annwn" (in 2000 AD #493–499, 1986)
- "The Ring of Danu" (in Dice Man No. 4, 1986)
- Judge Dredd:
- "The Taxidermist" (inks, with John Wagner/Alan Grant and pencils by Cam Kennedy, in 2000 AD #507–510, 1987)
- "Heatwave" (with John Wagner/Alan Grant and Mike Collins, in 2000 AD Sci-Fi Special 1987)
- "The Horsemen of the Apocalypse" (with John Wagner/Alan Grant and Mike Collins, in 2000 AD Sci-Fi Special 1987)
- "The Stunning Stunts Club" (with Alan Grant, in Judge Dredd Annual 1990, 1989)
- D.R. and Quinch: "DR & Quinch's Agony Page" (inks, with Jamie Delano and co-author and pencils by Alan Davis, in 2000 AD #525–534, 1987)
- Action Force: "Old Scores" (with Grant Morrison, in Action Force Monthly, Marvel UK, 1988)
- Anderson: Psi Division (with Alan Grant, in 2000 AD #607–609, 1989)
- Doctor Who (inks, with pencils by Lee Sullivan):
- Animal Man: Origin of the Species (with Grant Morrison, tpb collects Animal Man #10–17 and Secret Origins No. 39, Vertigo, 2002 ISBN 1-56389-890-X)
- The Avengers
- Batman: Year Two: Fear The Reaper
- Nightwing: On the Razor's Edge
- Gen¹³: Bootleg
- Superboy's Legion (inker and writer; pencils by Alan Davis, 2-issue mini-series, DC Comics, 2001)
- The Legion (2003)
- Superman: True Brit (inks, with John Cleese and Kim Johnson, and pencils by John Byrne, DC Comics Elseworlds, 2004)
- Fantastic Four: The End (inks, written and drawn by Alan Davis, Marvel Comics, 2007)
- ClanDestine #1–5 (inks, written and drawn by Alan Davis, Marvel Comics, 2008, tpb, ClanDestine: Blood Relative Premiere, hardcover, 120 pages, October 2008, ISBN 0-7851-2740-2)
- 2001 Eagle Award (comics) for Favourite Comic Book Artist (inks)
- 2012 Eagle Award for Favorite Inker
- 2012 Inkwell Award for Favorite Inker
- 1992 Eisner Award for Best Inker Eisner Award, for The Incredible Hulk
- 2000 Eagle Award for Favourite Comic Book Artist: Inks
- 2006 Eagle Award for Favourite Comic Book Artist: Inks
- 2007 Eagle Award for Favourite Comic Book Artist: Inks
- "Mark Farmer". Motor City Comic Con. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- Cowsill, Alan; Dolan, Hannah, ed. (2010). "2000s". DC Comics Year By Year A Visual Chronicle. Dorling Kindersley. p. 315. ISBN 978-0-7566-6742-9.
Comedy legend John Cleese joined forces with artist John Byrne, inker Mark Farmer and writer Kim Johnson for a unique take on the Superman story. Superman: True Brit saw Kal-El's rocketship land on a farm...in the UK.
- "2012 Winners". Inkwell Awards. 25 June 2012
- Old Scores Archived 13 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- Irvine, Alex (2008), "Animal Man", in Dougall, Alastair, The Vertigo Encyclopedia, New York: Dorling Kindersley, p. 27, ISBN 0-7566-4122-5, OCLC 213309015
- Previous Winners: 2001 Archived 6 February 2011 at the Wayback Machine.. The Eagle Awards. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "1992 Will Eisner Comic Industry Award Nominees and Winners". Hahn Library Comic Book Awards Almanac. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "2000 Eagle Awards". Hahn Library Comic Book Awards Almanac. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Previous Winners: 2006 Archived 7 October 2013 at the Wayback Machine.. The Eagle Awards. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Previous Winners: 2007 Archived 7 October 2013 at the Wayback Machine.. The Eagle Awards. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Mark Farmer at the Comic Book DB