Mark G. Lebwohl
|Mark G. Lebwohl, M.D.|
Harvard Medical School
|Institutions||The Mount Sinai Hospital|
Mark G. Lebwohl, M.D., is an American dermatologist and author and the Sol and Clara Kest Professor and Chairman of the Department of Dermatology at the Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City. Lebwohl's books include the leading book on dermatologic therapy, Treatment of Skin Disease (ISBN 0323036031), as well as Atlas of the Skin and Systemic Disease (ISBN 044306539X). He has authored more than 400 publications, multiple book chapters and has been named as one of New York Magazine’s “Best Doctors” every year since the inception of the annual list.
Lebwohl graduated from Columbia University in 1974. He earned his medical degree from Harvard Medical School in 1978 and subsequently completed residencies in both internal medicine and dermatology at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. In 1983, he was made Assistant Professor of Dermatology at Mount Sinai. In 1997, he was named Chairman of the Department which, under his leadership, has been at the forefront of the management of psoriasis.
Lebwohl was the first to report the cardiac complications of pseudoxanthoma elasticum, and, additionally, he has developed new techniques for diagnosing the disease. He was also the first to use immunomodulators (imiquimod) to treat preccancerous skin lesions; the first to use topical calcineurin inhibitors to treat psoriasis; and the first to identify interactions between topical vitamin D analogues such as calcipotriol and calcitriol with other topical medications and with ultraviolet light.
Lebwohl has served as president of the New York Dermatological Society, the Manhattan Dermatologic Society, and the New York State Society of Dermatology, and as chairman of the Dermatology Section of the New York Academy of Medicine. He served as chairman of the Psoriasis Task Force of the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), and was a member of the Scientific Assembly Council. He chaired the Academy’s summer meeting in 2001 in California and the AAD annual meeting in Washington, D.C. in 2004. He was elected to the Board of Directors of the AAD for 2010-2014. He is the founding editor of Psoriasis Forum and was medical editor of the bulletin of the National Psoriasis Foundation, Psoriasis Advance. He is on the editorial board of the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology and was the editor of the Dermatology Section of Scientific American Medicine, now called ACP Medicine.
Awards and honors
Lebwohl earned Presidential Citations in 2002, 2005 and 2006 from the American Academy of Dermatology. Additional awards include:
- 1993 Founder’s Award, National Psoriasis Foundation
- 2001 PXE International Award
- 2003 The Jacobi medallion, Mount Sinai Medical Center
- 2003 British Medical Association Medical Books Competition
- Highly commended electronic media award for Treatment of Skin Disease, PDA version.
- 2005 Distinguished Service Award, American Dermatological Association
- 2006 Winner,The Society of Authors and the Royal Society of Medicine Book Awards for New Edition of an Edited Book, Treatment of Skin Disease: Comprehensive Therapeutic Strategies (2nd edition)
- Lebwohl M, Heymann WR, Berth-Jones J, Coulson I, editors. Treatment of Skin Disease, 3rd edition (2010). London, Mosby 2nd edition (2006) 1st edition (2002) Also published in electronic versions and in Polish and Portuguese. ISBN 0-7020-3121-6
- Koo, JM, Lebwohl, MG, Lee, CS. (Eds.). (2009). Moderate-to-Severe Psoriasis. New York: Informa Healthcare. ISBN 1-4200-8867-X
- Koo JM, Lebwohl MG, Lee CS, editors. Mild-to-Moderate Psoriasis 2nd edition(2008). New York, Informa Healthcare 1st edition (2006) ISBN 1-4200-8860-2
- Lebwohl MG. The Skin and Systemic Disease: A Color Atlas and Text, 2nd edition (2004). New York, Churchill Livingstone Also published in French.
- Lebwohl M. Atlas of the Skin and Systemic Disease (1995). New York, Churchill Livingstone
- Lebwohl M, editor. Difficult Diagnoses in Dermatology (1988). New York, Churchill Livingston ISBN 0-443-08460-2
- Lebwohl M, DiStefano D, Prioleau PG, Uram M, Yannuzzi LA, Fleischmajer R: Pseudoxanthoma elasticum and mitral valve prolapse. N Engl J Med 307:228-231, 1982.
- Lebwohl M, Phelps RG, Yannuzzi LA, Chang S, Schwartz I, Fuchs W: Diagnosis of pseudoxanthoma elasticum by scar biopsy in patients without characteristic skin lesions. N Engl J Med 17:347-350, 1987.
- Lebwohl M, Halperin J, Phelps R: Occult pseudoxanthoma elasticum in patients with premature cardiovascular disease. N Engl J Med 329:1237-1239, 1993.
- Persaud A, Shamuelova E, Sherer D, Lou W, Singer G, Cervera C, Lamba S, Lebwohl M: Imiquimod 5% cream is safe and effective in the treatment of actinic keratosis. J Invest Dermatol 117(2):890, 2001.
- Lebwohl M, Dinehart S, Whiting D, Lee PK, Tawfik N, Jorizzo J, Lee JH, Fox TL. Imiquimod 5% cream for the treatment of actinic keratosis: results from two phase III, randomized, double-blind, parallel group, vehicle-controlled trials. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2004; 50(5):714-21.
- Lebwohl M, Hecker D, Martinez J, Sapadin A, Patel B: Interactions between calcipotriene and ultraviolet light. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1997;37(1):93-5.
- Lebwohl M, Quijije J, Gilliard J, Rollin T, Watts O. Topical calcitriol is degraded by ultraviolet light. J Invest Dermatol 2003;121(3): 594-5.
- Lebwohl M, Freeman AK, Chapman MS, Feldman SR, Hartle JE, Henning A; Tacrolimus Ointment Study Group. Tacrolimus ointment is effective for facial and intertriginous psoriasis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2004;51(5):731-8.
- Lebwohl M, Callen J. Obesity, smoking and psoriasis. JAMA 2006;295:208-10.
- Krueger GG, Langley RG, Leonard C, Yielding N, Guzzo C, Wang Y, Dooley Lt, Lebwohl M; CNTO 1275 Psoriasis Study Group. A human interleukin-12/23 monoclonal antibody for the treatment of psoriasis. N Engl J Med. 2007;356(6):580-92.
- Lebwohl M, Tan M-H: Psoriasis and stress. Lancet. 1998;351(9096):82.
- Roenigk HH Jr, Auerbach R, Maibach H, Weinstein G, Lebwohl M. Methotrexate in psoriasis: consensus conference. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1998;38(3):478-85.
- Rudikoff D, Lebwohl M: Atopic dermatitis. Lancet. 1998;351(9117):1715-21.
- Lebwohl M. Psoriasis. Lancet. 2003;361:1197-1204.
- Papp KA, Langley RG, Lebwohl M, Krueger GG, Szapary P, Yielding N, Guzzo C, Hsu MC, Wang Y, Li S, Dooley LT, Reich K; PHOENIX 2 study investigators. Efficacy and safety of ustekinumab, a human interleukin-12/23 monoclonal antibody, in patients with psoriasis: 52-week results from a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial (PHOENIX 2). Lancet. 2008;371(9625):1675-84.
- Lebwohl M. New treatments for alopecia areata. Lancet. 1997;349(9047):222-3.
- Kalb RE, Strober B, Weinstein G, Lebwohl M. Methotrexate and psoriasis: 2009 National Psoriasis Foundation Consensus Conference. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2009;60(5):824-37.
- Lebwohl M, Ellis C, Gottlieb A, Koo J, Krueger G, Linden K, Shupack J, Weinstein G: Cyclosporine consensus conference: with emphasis on the treatment of psoriasis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1998;39(3):464-75.
- Lebwohl M, Bagel J, Gelfand JM, Gladman D, Gordon KB, Hsu S, Kalb RE, Kimball AB, Korman NJ, Krueger GG, Mease P, Morison WL, Paller A, Pariser DM, Ritchlin C, Strober B, Van Voorhees A, Weinstein GD, Young M, Horn L: From the Medical Board of the National Psoriasis Foundation: monitoring and vaccinations in patients treated with biologics for psoriasis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2008;58(1):94-105.
- Rapaport, Marvin J., Lebwohl, Mark. Corticosteroid Addiction and Withdrawal in the Atopic: The Red Burning Skin Syndrome. Clinics in Dermatology, 2003; 21:201-214.
- TheDerm.org – Editorial Board and Advisors
- New York Magazine Best Doctors 2009
- American Registry
- Aufses, Jr., Arthur H; Barbara Niss (2002). This House of Noble Deeds. NYU Press. pp. 197–198. ISBN 0-8147-0500-6. Retrieved November 2009. Check date values in:
- Persaud AN, Shamuelova E, Sherer D, Lou W, Singer G, Cervera C, et al. (2002). "Clinical effect of imiquimod 5% cream in the treatment of actinic keratosis.". J Am Acad Dermatol. 47 (4): 553–6. doi:10.1067/mjd.2002.123492. PMID 12271300.
- Lebwohl M, Dinehart S, Whiting D, Lee PK, Tawfik N, Jorizzo J, et al. (2004). "Imiquimod 5% cream for the treatment of actinic keratosis: results from two phase III, randomized, double-blind, parallel group, vehicle-controlled trials.". J Am Acad Dermatol. 50 (5): 714–21. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2003.12.010. PMID 15097955.
- Lebwohl M, Freeman AK, Chapman MS, Feldman SR, Hartle JE, Henning A, et al. (2004). "Tacrolimus ointment is effective for facial and intertriginous psoriasis.". J Am Acad Dermatol. 51 (5): 723–30. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2004.07.011. PMID 15523350.
- Patel B, Siskin S, Krazmien R, Lebwohl M (1998). "Compatibility of calcipotriene with other topical medications.". J Am Acad Dermatol. 38 (6 Pt 1): 1010–1. doi:10.1016/s0190-9622(98)70171-9. PMID 9632021.
- Lebwohl M, Hecker D, Martinez J, Sapadin A, Patel B (1997). "Interactions between calcipotriene and ultraviolet light.". J Am Acad Dermatol. 37 (1): 93–5. doi:10.1016/s0190-9622(97)70217-2. PMID 9216529.
- Business Week
- British Medical Association Medical Books
- Society of Authors
- The Mount Sinai Hospital homepage
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai homepage
- Psoriasis Information at Mount Sinai
- Psoriasis: Routes to Relief with Dr. Mark Lebwohl. WebMD Live Events Transcript
- New & Effective Psoriasis Drug. Interview transcript: Dr. Mark Lebwohl discusses Stelara with The Saturday Evening Post