Mark G. Mastroianni
|Mark G. Mastroianni|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts|
|Assumed office |
June 5, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Michael Ponsor|
|District Attorney of Hampden County|
January 5, 2011 – June 5, 2014
|Preceded by||William Bennett|
|Succeeded by||James Orenstein (Acting)|
|Born||Mark Gerald Mastroianni|
[ May 30, 1964citation needed]
|Education||American International College (B.A.)|
Western New England University School of Law (J.D.)
Mark Gerald Mastroianni (born May 30, 1964) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts and former Massachusetts District Attorney.
Mastroianni received a Bachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude, in 1986, from the American International College. He received a Juris Doctor in 1989 from Western New England School of Law. He began his career in the Hampden District Attorney's Office as an Assistant District Attorney in 1990. From 1995 to 2011, he worked as an attorney in private practice as a sole practitioner, focusing his practice on criminal defense matters in State and Federal court. He then became District Attorney for Hampden County, Massachusetts, serving as the chief law enforcement officer of the county and managing an office of nearly 140 employees.
Federal judicial service
On September 24, 2013, President Barack Obama nominated Mastroianni to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts, to the seat vacated by Judge Michael Ponsor, who took senior status on August 15, 2011. He received a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on February 11, 2014. His nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote on March 6, 2014. On May 22, 2014 Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed for cloture on the nomination. On Tuesday June 3, 2014 the United States Senate voted 56–39 on the motion to invoke cloture. On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 the United States Senate voted in favor of final confirmation by a vote of 92–2. He received his judicial commission on June 5, 2014.
- "President Obama Nominates Two to Serve on the United States District Courts". 24 September 2013.
- "Mastroianni, Mark Gerald – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate". 24 September 2013.
- "Judicial Nomination Materials: 113th Congress". United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary. United States Senate. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress – 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 168. United States Senate. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress – 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 171. United States Senate. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- Mark G. Mastroianni at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Mark G. Mastroianni at Ballotpedia
| Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts