Galli, a native of California, is a graduate of the University of California at Santa Cruz and holds a M.Div. from Fuller Theological Seminary. He was a Presbyterian pastor for ten years. Subsequently, he changed his denominational affiliation to the Anglican Church in North America.
Moving into journalism, he was the associate editor of Leadership and editor of Christian History, a sister publication of Christianity Today. For the next 20 years he worked for Christianity Today in various capacities, including seven years as editor in chief. In October 2019 he announced he would retire effective January 3, 2020.
He wrote books and editorials about the nature of the Evangelical faith, including how belief relates to political activity. On December 19, 2019, a day after the U.S. House of Representatives voted to file two articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump, Galli wrote an editorial entitled, "Trump Should Be Removed from Office." The publication noted that the criticisms of Trump were consistent with the magazine's approach to the impeachment proceedings of presidents Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton.
In 2011, Roger E. Olson, a theologian specializing in Christian ethics, described Galli as, "a serious evangelical scholar with an irenic approach to controversial material", that being defined as favoring and operating toward peace, moderation, or conciliation.
- With Craig Brian Larson, Preaching that Connects, Zondervan, 1994, ISBN 978-0-31038621-6
- With James Stuart Bell Jr., The Complete Idiot's Guide to Prayer, Alpha Books, 1st ed. 1999 ISBN 978-0-02863108-0; 2nd ed. 2004, ISBN 978-1-59257245-8
- With Ted Olsen, 131 Christians Everyone Should Know, Broadman & Holman, 2000 ISBN 978-0-80549040-4
- Francis of Assisi and His World, InterVarsity Press, 2002, ISBN 978-0-83082354-3
- Jesus Mean and Wild: The Unexpected Love of an Untamable God, Baker, 2006, ISBN 978-080101284-6
- Beyond Smells and Bells: The Wonder and Power of Christian Liturgy, Paraclete, 2008, ISBN 978-1-55725521-1
- God Wins: Heaven, Hell, and Why the Good News Is Better than Love Wins, Tyndale, July, 2011. ISBN 978-141436666-1 The Christian Post described God Wins as a "response" to pastor Rob Bell's book Love Wins.
- Chaos and Grace: Discovering the Liberating Work of the Holy Spirit, Baker, October 2011, ISBN 978-0-80101350-8
- Karl Barth: An Introductory Biography for Evangelicals, Eerdmans, 2017, ISBN 978-0-80286939-5
- "Library of Congress Authority Record: Galli, Mark". Library of Congress. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- "Bio". Mark Galli. Mark Galli.
- Olsen, Ted (October 7, 2019). "Mark Galli Announces Retirement as Editor in Chief of Christianity Today". Christianity Today. Retrieved December 19, 2019.
- Carrigan, Henry (July 20, 2011). "Mark Galli: A Fuller, Richer God (Interview)". Publishers Weekly.
- Lupfer, Jacob (June 10, 2015). "Why a 'yes' to gays is often a 'no' to evangelicalism". Washington Post. RNS. Retrieved June 11, 2015.
- Kwan, Lillian (November 21, 2010). "Texas Pastor Leads Evangelicals to Shake Off Isolationism". Christian Post. Retrieved June 11, 2015.
- Galli, Mark (December 19, 2019). "Trump Should Be Removed from Office". Christianity Today. Retrieved December 19, 2019.
- Chappell, Bill (December 20, 2019). "Calling Trump 'Morally Lost,' 'Christianity Today' Editor Calls For His Removal". NPR. Retrieved December 21, 2019.
- Olson, Roger E. (July 7, 2011). "A good new book responding to Bell's Love Wins". Patheos. Retrieved June 11, 2015.
- “Irenic.” The Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster Inc., https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irenic. Accessed 25 December 2019.
- "Jesus Mean and Wild: The Unexpected Love of an Untamable God". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved June 11, 2015.
- "Beyond Smells and Bells: The Wonder and Power of Christian Liturgy". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved June 11, 2015.
- Menzie, Nicola (September 25, 2011). "'Love Wins' Author Rob Bell Tells Mars Hill His Departure Is 'No Surprise'". Christian Post. Retrieved June 11, 2015.
- Menzie, Nicola (November 19, 2013). "Rob Bell's 'Love Wins' Nudged 1,000 People to Leave Mars Hill Bible Church, Says Michigan Megachurch Successor". Christian Post. Retrieved June 11, 2015.
- Everett, Stuart James (2011). "Mark Galli "Chaos and Grace: Discovering the Liberating Work of the Holy Spirit"". Union Seminary Quarterly Review. 64 (1). Retrieved June 11, 2015.
- "Chaos and Grace: Discovering the Liberating Work of the Holy Spirit". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved June 11, 2015.