Mark Hayter (academic)
This article includes inline citations, but they are not properly formatted. (June 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Known for||Research on Nursing|
|Alma mater||Sheffield Hallam University|
University of Sheffield
|Institutions||University of Hull|
Mark Hayter (born 7 November 1963) is a British academic. He is professor of nursing at the University of Hull. He serves as editor of the Journal of Advanced Nursing and on the editorial boards of Journal of School Nursing, Journal of Nursing Interventions, and Nursing Outlook. Hayter is best known for his research on sexual health including psychosexual health, adolescent reproductive health, family planning, contraceptive counseling, and HIV. He was a founding member of The Lancet Commission on Nursing.
Hayter is a Registered Nurse, holds a BA in social dimensions of health from Sheffield Hallam University, a MMed.Sci in clinical nursing from the University of Sheffield, and a PhD from the University of Sheffield.
Hayter is Associate Dean of Research, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Hull. He is an international expert in qualitative research, and has offered highly-cited guidance on the subject. Hayter is a regular contributor to The Conversation (website) arguing that nurses should take the HIV self-test to role-model sexual health behaviors to their patients. And he is a regular contributor to The Guardian encouraging the National Health Service to support an increase in the number and the quality of the training of nurses.
Awards and recognition
Hayter is a fellow of the American Academy of Nursing, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and the European Academy of Nursing Science. He has served on numerous international scientific committees including the Royal College of Nursing research conference (2010 and 2012), the International School Nurse Conference (2011), and the World Association of Sexology Conference (2011).
- "A systematic review of silver-releasing dressings in the management of infected chronic wounds". Journal of Clinical Nursing. 17 (15): 1973–1985. 2008. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2702.2007.02264.x. PMID 18705778.
- "The effectiveness of silver-releasing dressings in the management of non-healing chronic wounds: a meta-analysis". Journal of Clinical Nursing. 18 (5): 716–728. 2009. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2702.2008.02534.x. PMID 19239539.
- "Structured review: evaluating the effectiveness of nurse case managers in improving health outcomes in three major chronic diseases". Journal of Clinical Nursing. 18 (21): 2978–2992. 2009. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.02900.x. PMID 19747197.
- "Professor Mark Hayter". University of Hull. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- "Journal of Advanced Nursing". Journal of Advanced Nursing. doi:10.1111/(ISSN)1365-2648.
- Dean E (2014) Lancet commission to tackle the poor perception of UK nursing Nursing Standard https://journals.rcni.com/doi/abs/10.7748/ns2014.01.28.21.10.s4
- "Data collection and sampling in qualitative research: does size matter?". Journal of Advanced Nursing. 17. 2014. doi:10.1111/jan.12163.
- "Why nurses should take the HIV self-test". The Conversation (website). Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- "Why the NHS needs more graduate nurses". The Guardian. Retrieved 8 March 2019.