Mark Hodder is an English steampunk author, since 2008 living in Spain. His six-part series of 'Burton & Swinburne' steampunk novels opened with The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack, which went on to win the 2010 Philip K. Dick Award. The following two novels, The Curious Case of the Clockwork-Man and Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon, were released in 2011 and 2012 respectively to wide acclaim from fans of the genre, with the latter nominated for a Sidewise Award. His fourth novel in the Burton & Swinburne series, The Secret of Abdu El Yezdi, was also nominated for a Sidewise Award.
Hodder is a noted enthusiast for the character of Sexton Blake. He was an advisor to several reprint volumes of Blake stories, and the author of the first book in the relaunched sixth series of the Sexton Blake Library, 'The Silent Thunder Caper'.
- Hodder, Mark (2012). A red sun also rises. Pyr.
- Sexton Blake: The Silent Thunder Caper. Obverse Books. 2014. ISBN 978-1-90903-121-0.
- Burton & Swinburne series
- The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack. Pyr. 2010. ISBN 1-61614-240-5.
- The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man. Pyr. 2011. ISBN 1-907777-02-4.
- Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon. Pyr. 2012. ISBN 1-61614-535-8.
- The Secret of Abdu El Yezdi. Pyr. 2013. ISBN 978-1-61614-777-8.
- The Return of the Discontinued Man. Pyr. 2014. ISBN 978-1-61614-905-5.
- The Rise of the Automated Aristocrats. Pyr. 2015. ISBN 978-1-63388-052-8. (published August 2015)
Critical studies and reviews of Hodder's work
- A red sun also rises
- Di Filippo, Paul (August 2013). "On Books". Asimov's Science Fiction. 37 (8): 107–111.
- "2010 Philip K. Dick Award Nominees Announced". Retrieved February 25, 2012.
- "Mark Hodder". Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- Sidewise Award Nominees, SF Site News, July 1, 2013.
- "The Secret of Abdu El Yezdi". Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- "2014 Sidewise Award Finalists". Locus. 2014-06-06. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- "A Red Sun Also Rises". Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- "A Red Sun Also Rises". Archived from the original on 29 August 2014. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Author's tweet announcing The Oxford Equation". Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- Blakiana Website
- Silent Thunder Caper page
- Burton & Swinburne series listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Mark Hodder at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Hodder's website dedicated to Sexton Blake
- Hodder's blog
- Hodder's Twitter account
|This article about a science fiction writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|