This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Life and work
Klett was born in Albany, New York. After graduating from St. Lawrence University with a B.S. in Geology in 1974, he worked as a photographer with the U.S. Geological Survey. In 1977, he completed the MFA program at Visual Studies Workshop in Rochester, New York studying with Nathan Lyons.
Klett's photographic work focuses on explorations of man’s interaction with the American landscape, and more recently on issues of photography in time including rephotography.
He is a Regents Professor and teaches photography at Arizona State University, and lives with his wife and two daughters in Tempe, Arizona.
- Second View: The Rephotographic Survey Project. With Ellen Manchester and JoAnn Verburg, University of New Mexico Press, 1984.
- Traces of Eden: Travels in the Desert Southwest. David R. Godine, 1986.
- Headlands: the Marin Coast at the Golden Gate. With Miles De Coster, Mike Mandel,Paul Metcalf, and Larry Sultan, University of New Mexico Press, 1989.
- One City/Two Visions. Bedford Arts Publishers, San Francisco, CA, 1990.
- Photographing Oklahoma. 1889-1991. Oklahoma City Art Museum, 1991.
- Revealing Territory. University of New Mexico Press, 1992.
- Capitol View: A New Panorama of Washington DC. With Merry Foresta, Smithsonian Institution and Book Studios, 1994.
- Desert Legends: Restoring the Sonoran Borderlands. With Gary Paul Nabhan, Henry Holt, 1994.
- The Black Rock Desert. With Bill Fox, University of Arizona Press, 2002. ISBN 0816521727.
- Third Views, Second Sights, A Rephotographic Survey of the American West. Museum of New Mexico Press, 2004. ISBN 0-89013-432-4.
- Yosemite in Time: Ice Ages, Tree Clocks, Ghost Rivers. With Rebecca Solnit and Byron Wolfe, Trinity University Press, 2005. ISBN 1-59534-042-4.
- After the Ruins: Rephotographing the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake and Fire. University of California Press, 2005. ISBN 0-520-24556-3.
- Mark Klett: Saguaros by Gregory McNamee and Mark Klett. Radius Books, 2007. ISBN 1-934435-00-7.
- 1979: Emerging Artist Fellowship for the National Endowment for the Arts
- 1982: National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship
- 1984: National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship
- 1993: Photographer of the Year from Friends of Photography
- Japan/U.S. Creative Artist Fellowship
- 2001: Regents' Professor, Arizona State University
- 2004: Guggenheim Fellowship
- Genocchio, Benjamin (29 August 2004). "ART REVIEW; Photographs of Time and the Desert". The New York Times. p. 7. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- Warren, Lynne (2006). Encyclopedia of 20th century photography. CRC Press. pp. 880–. ISBN 978-0-415-97665-7. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
American Mark Klett is among the most accomplished landscape photographers in the ranks of twentieth century American....
- Levere, Douglas; Yochelson, Bonnie; Abbott, Berenice (2005-02-01). New York changing: revisiting Berenice Abbott's New York. Princeton Architectural Press. pp. 13–. ISBN 978-1-56898-473-5. Retrieved 26 June 2011.
- Hagen;, Charles (14 June 1992). "PHOTOGRAPHY VIEW; Tricky Attempts to Balance Esthetics and Politics". The New York Times. p. 27. Retrieved 26 June 2011.