Mark Knopfler discography
|Mark Knopfler discography|
Mark Knopfler in Chicago, 2006
The Mark Knopfler discography consists of recordings by British singer-songwriter and guitarist Mark Knopfler, not including his work with Dire Straits. Knopfler began recording apart from Dire Straits in 1983, when he released his first soundtrack album Local Hero. That same year he produced his first album, Infidels for Bob Dylan. Between 1983 and 2002, Knopfler composed and released eight soundtrack albums. He also produced four additional albums for other artists, including Land of Dreams in 1988 for Randy Newman.
After he quietly disbanded Dire Straits in 1995, Knopfler released his first solo album Golden Heart in 1996. In total, he has released nine studio albums, four collaborative albums with Chet Atkins and Emmylou Harris, two EPs, and twelve singles. In addition, Knopfler has appeared on 115 albums by other artists, providing guitar tracks or guest appearance vocals.
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
|2000||Sailing to Philadelphia||4||16||2||19||3||7||2||1||11||2||1||60|
|2002||The Ragpicker's Dream||7||47||9||18||7||4||2||1||8||5||5||38|
|2007||Kill to Get Crimson||9||41||10||—||15||9||4||2||2||4||3||26||
|2018||Down the Road Wherever||17||14
- Local Hero (1983)
- Cal (1984)
- Comfort and Joy (1984)
- The Princess Bride (1987)
- Last Exit to Brooklyn (1989)
- Wag the Dog (1997) (released in 1998)
- Metroland (1999)
- A Shot at Glory (2002)
- Altamira (2016) with Evelyn Glennie
- Missing...Presumed Having a Good Time (1990) with The Notting Hillbillies
- Neck and Neck (1990) with Chet Atkins
- All the Roadrunning (2006) with Emmylou Harris
- Real Live Roadrunning (2006) with Emmylou Harris
- Infidels (1983) by Bob Dylan. Although Mark disowned the reworked version of the album as released, his production is still noticeable. Left off the album, but later released on The Bootleg Series, is the critically acclaimed "Blind Willie McTell", featuring only Dylan, singing and playing piano, accompanied by Mark Knopfler on acoustic guitar.
- Knife (1984) by Aztec Camera. This Scottish indie/new wave band was mostly a vehicle for the work of Roddy Frame, much as Dire Straits only ever recorded Mark Knopfler compositions.
- Miracle (1987) by Willy DeVille. The album was dedicated to Mark and his wife "for their support which was nothing short of a Miracle in a time of Dire Straits." The album ends with the ballad "Storybook Love", the theme from The Princess Bride movie.
- Land of Dreams (1988) by Randy Newman. The album includes the single "It's Money that Matters", which unabashedly revisits the Dire Straits song "Money for Nothing".
- The Sailor's Revenge (2012) by Bap Kennedy was recorded at British Grove Studios in 2011.
- The Booze Brothers by Brewers Droop (1973)
- Slow Train Coming by Bob Dylan (1979)
- Sandy McLelland & the Backline by Sandy McLelland (1979)
- Oh What a Feeling by Mavis Staples (1979)
- Gaucho by Steely Dan (1980)
- Solo in Soho by Phil Lynott (1980)
- The Philip Lynott Album by Phil Lynott (1982)
- Beautiful Vision by Van Morrison (1982)
- Release by David Knopfler (1983)
- Phil Everly by Phil Everly (1983)
- Love Over and Over by Kate & Anna McGarrigle (1983)
- Climate of Hunter by Scott Walker (1984)
- Never Told a Soul by John Illsley (1984)
- The Rock Connection by Cliff Richard (1984)
- Boys and Girls by Bryan Ferry (1985)
- Stay Tuned by Chet Atkins (1985)
- Break Every Rule by Tina Turner (1986)
- The Color of Money Soundtrack (1986)
- ...Nothing Like the Sun by Sting (1987)
- Primitive Dance by Paul Brady (1987)
- Sails by Chet Atkins (1987)
- Soldier of Fortune by Thin Lizzy (1987)
- C.G.P. by Chet Atkins (1988)
- Down in the Groove by Bob Dylan (1988)
- Glass by John Illsley (1988)
- The Shouting Stage by Joan Armatrading (1988)
- Foreign Affair by Tina Turner (1989)
- River of Time by The Judds (1989)
- Brendan Croker & the Five O'Clock Shadows by Brendan Croker (1989)
- Hell to Pay by Jeff Healey (1990)
- Knebworth: The Album (1990)
- Voices That Care (1991)
- Damn Right, I've Got the Blues by Buddy Guy (1991)
- The Bootleg Series Volumes 1–3, 1961–1991 by Bob Dylan (1991)
- Honky Tonk Demos (1991)
- Seminole Wind by John Anderson (1992)
- Country Rockers (1992)
- Dulcimer Sessions by David Schnaufer (1992)
- Ain't I a Woman by Rory Block (1992)
- Cookin' with the Blues (1992)
- Citizen Steely Dan by Steely Dan (1993)
- Heartbeat by Hank Marvin (1993)
- Beloved One by Dee Carstensen (1993)
- The Grand Tour by Aaron Neville (1993)
- Southwestern Cookin (1994)
- Flyer by Nanci Griffith (1994)
- Bradley Barn Sessions by George Jones (1994)
- Read My Licks by Chet Atkins (1994)
- Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 by Weird Al Yankovic (1994)
- Adios Amigo: A Tribute to Arthur Alexander (1994)
- Long Black Veil by The Chieftains (1995)
- Confessin' the Blues (1995)
- Big River by Jimmy Nail (1995)
- Just Pickin' by Steve Phillips (1996)
- The Way I Should by Iris DeMent (1996)
- Paradise by John Anderson (1996)
- Twang!: A Tribute to Hank Marvin & the Shadows (1996)
- Not Fade Away (Remembering Buddy Holly) (1996)
- Dunblane tribute record (1996)
- Pickin' the Hits by Chet Atkins (1997)
- Nothin' but the Taillights by Clint Black (1997)
- Blues Legends (1997)
- Closing in on the Fire by Waylon Jennings (1998)
- Guilty: 30 Years of Randy Newman (1998)
- Man to Woman: Men of Note Sing for a Cause (1998)
- Celtic Christmas, Vol. 4 (1998)
- Tribute to Tradition (1998)
- Austin Sessions by Kris Kristofferson (1999)
- Another World by Gerry Rafferty (2000)
- Showbiz Kids: The Steely Dan Story 1972–1980 (2000)
- Prince's Trust 10th Anniversary Birthday Party (2000)
- Guitar Heroes (2001)
- Singles Collection by Hank Marvin (2001)
- Timeless: Hank Williams Tribute (2001)
- Good Rockin' Tonight: The Legacy of Sun Records (2001)
- Buried Treasures, Vol. 3 by Lindisfarne (2001)
- Human by Rod Stewart (2001)
- Small World Big Band by Jools Holland (2001)
- Seminole Wind by John Anderson (1992)
- Chet Picks on the Grammys by Chet Atkins (2002)
- Jools Holland's Big Band Rhythm & Blues by Jools Holland (2002)
- RCA Country Legends by John Anderson (2002)
- Vagabonds, Kings, Warriors, Angels by Thin Lizzy (2002)
- Parallel Tracks by the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (2003)
- Double Shot Rocks by Alan Merrill (2003)
- Deja Vu (All Over Again) by John Fogerty (2004)
- Is It Rolling Bob? A Reggae Tribute to Bob Dylan (2004)
- Very Best of Celtic Christmas (2004)
- Guitar Ballads by Hank Marvin (2004)
- B. B. King & Friends: 80 by B.B. King (2005, guest appearance)
- Is It Rolling Bob? Dub Versions (2005)
- Just for a Thrill by Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings (2005)
- 36 Classic Guitar Favourites by Hank Marvin (2005)
- Sea Fever by William Topley (2005)
- Prairie Home Companion Duets (2006)
- East to West by Paul Burch (2006)
- Take the Weather with You by Jimmy Buffett (2006)
- Uncovered by Tony Joe White (2006)
- Timeless (2007)
- After Midnight Live by Eric Clapton (2007)
- Songbird: Rare Tracks and Forgotten Gems by Emmylou Harris (2007)
- Earth to the Dandy Warhols by The Dandy Warhols (2008, dobro)
- Burning Your Playhouse Down by George Jones (2008)
- South of I-10 by Sonny Landreth (1995, guest appearance)
- From the Reach by Sonny Landreth (2008, guest appearance)
- Inamorata by Guy Fletcher (2008, guest appearance)
- Legacy, Vol. 1 by Jeff Healey (2009, guest appearance)
- Life Goes On by Gerry Rafferty (2009)
- Greatest and Latest: Just a Thrill and Live by Bill Wyman (2009)
- The Secret Policeman's Balls (2009)
- Live at Knebworth (2010)
- Streets of Heaven by John Illsley (2010)
- Just Across the River by Jimmy Webb (2010, guest appearance)
- Mercury by Pieta Brown (2011)
- Gathering by Diane Schuur (2011)
- Freak Flag by Greg Brown (2011)
- Back Pages by America (2011)
- A Map of the Floating City by Thomas Dolby (2011, guest appearance)
- Chimes of Freedom: Songs of Bob Dylan (2012, guest appearance)
- Impressions by Chris Botti (2012, guest appearance)
- Angels Without Wings by Heidi Talbot (2013)
- These Wilder Things by Ruth Moody (2013)
- The Breeze: An Appreciation of JJ Cale by Eric Clapton & Friends (2014)
- Street Tracker by Pieta Brown (2017)
- Shine on Me by Dan Auerbach (2017)
- Have All The Songs Been Written? by The Killers (2017)
- You Don't Wanna Get You One of Those by Tommy Emmanuel (2018)
- "Going Home (Theme of 'Local Hero') (1983) - UK #56
- "Darling Pretty" (1996) - UK #33
- "Cannibals" (1996) - UK #42
- "Rüdiger" (1996)
- "What It Is" (2000)
- "Sailing to Philadelphia" (2001)
- "Silvertown Blues" (2001)
- "Why Aye Man" (2002) - UK #81
- "Boom, Like That" (2004) - UK #34
- "True Love Will Never Fade" (2007)
- "Punish The Monkey" (2007)
- "Border Reiver" (2009)
- "Remembrance Day" (2009)
- "Redbud Tree" (2012)
- "Beryl" (2015)
- "Good on you Son" (2018)
|1990||"Poor Boy Blues" (w/ Chet Atkins)||David Hogan|
|1991||"Voices That Care" (Various)||David S. Jackson|
- "Mark Knopfler | full Official Chart history". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 24 November 2018.
- "Discography Mark Knpfler". Australian-Charts.com. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Discographie Mark Knopfler". AustrianCharts.at. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Mark Knopfler – Chart history: Canadian Albums". Billboard. Retrieved 29 November 2018.
- "Discographie Mark Knopfler". finnishcharts.com. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Discographie Mark Knofler". lescharts.com. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Discografie Mark Knofler". DutchCharts.nl. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Discography Mark Knofler". norwegiancharts.com. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Discography Mark Knofler". Charts.ord.nz. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Discography Mark Knopfler". SwedishCharts.com. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Discography Mark Knopfler". SwissCharts.com. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Mark Knopfler Chart History: Billboard 200". Billboard. Retrieved 27 November 2018.
- "Certified Awards Search". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved on 17 March 2015. Note: User needs to enter "Mark Knopfler" in the "Search" field, "Artist" in the "Search by" field and click the "Go" button. Select "More info" next to the relevant entry to see full certification history.
- "Certified Awards Search Archived 2012-10-01 at WebCite". Music Canada. Retrieved on 26 January 2012. Note: User needs to enter "Mark Knopfler" in the "Search" field, "Artist" in the "Search by" field and click the "Go" button. Select "More info" next to the relevant entry to see full certification history.
- "Certified Awards Search Archived 2012-11-08 at the Wayback Machine". Retrieved on 26 January 2012. Note: User needs to enter "Mark Knopfler" in the "Search" field, "Artist" in the "Search by" field and click the "Go" button. Select "More info" next to the relevant entry to see full certification history.
- "". Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved on 26 January 2012
- "Certified Awards Search Archived 2009-06-01 at the Wayback Machine".FRA . Retrieved on 27 January 2012.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank ('Sailing to Philadelphia')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Searchable Database". Recording Industry Association of America. Archived from the original on 26 June 2007. Retrieved 26 January 2012. Note: User must define 'Artist' search parameter as "Mark Knopfler".
- "ARIA Australian Top 50 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association. 26 November 2018. Retrieved 24 November 2018.
- "Le Top de la semaine : Top Albums Fusionnes – SNEP (Week 47, 2018)" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- Bob Dylan: Behind the Shades Clinton Heylin, Summit Books (1991) ISBN 0-671-73894-1
- "Mark Knopfler Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- "Mark Knopfler". Discogs. Retrieved 28 November 2013.