McEwan discusses Top Chef Canada in 2011
|Education||George Brown College|
Mark McEwan is a Canadian celebrity chef based in Toronto. He had his own television show on Food Network Canada entitled The Heat, which followed his catering team from North 44 Caters as they served the influential and elite. He was also head judge on Food Network Canada's Top Chef Canada.
McEwan graduated from George Brown College in 1979. In 1981, McEwan was hired by the Sutton Place Hotel in Toronto as executive sous chef.[failed verification] Two years later he was promoted to chef. He opened his first restaurant, North 44, in 1990.[failed verification] Around 2002, he opened Bymark restaurant in the Financial District, Toronto. In August 2007, McEwan opened ONE at the Hazelton Hotel, a luxury hotel in Yorkville, Toronto. In 2010, McEwan opened Fabbrica, an Italian restaurant, at Shops at Don Mills.
In 2012, McEwan was commissioned by US-based OTG Management to aid in the opening of two restaurants, Fetta Panini Bar and Heirloom Bakery Café, in Toronto Pearson International Airport, consulting on their opening menus. McEwan, his grocery store, also creates "grab-and-go" items such as sandwiches, salads, snack boxes, and meals that are sold throughout the airport at 10 different kiosks.
McEwan's first book, Great Food at Home, was published in early 2011 and his second book Rustic Italian is based on the recipes from Fabbrica. McEwan teamed up with Jascor/Fresco in 2011 to brand a set of cookware that is now sold on the Shopping Channel and Hudson's Bay across Canada.
Since 1990, Mark has been an ambassador for Second Harvest in Toronto, helping to spread the word about food rescue and hunger relief. He also has partnered with the Sunnybrook Foundation and sits on the board of his alma mater, with George Brown Foundation.
- "Q&A: Celebrity chef Mark McEwan". Toronto Star. March 8, 2010.
- "10 Things You Didn't Know About Mark McEwan". Food Network. January 8, 2016.
- Food Network Canada. "Mark McEwan". www.foodnetwork.ca. Retrieved 2011-04-22.
- "Fabbrica". BlogTO. October 8, 2010.
- "First Look: Mark McEwan opens his second gourmet grocery store in the PATH at the TD Centre". PostCity. July 17, 2015.
- "Toronto Pearson Welcomes Chef Mark Mcewan & Baker Devin Connell". Toronto Pearson International Airport. March 6, 2013.
- Mark McEwan: "Mark McEwan is the chef that has won my utmost respect and admiration."