Mark Millar (footballer)
Millar playing for Falkirk in 2013
|Full name||Mark Millar|
|Date of birth||23 February 1988|
|Place of birth||Greenock, Scotland|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Current club||Falkirk (on loan from Dundee United)|
|2009–2010||→ Újpest (loan)|
|2013–||→ Falkirk (loan)||21||(6)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 4 March 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
He started his career with Scottish Premier League club Celtic, spending a six-month spell on loan at Újpest in Hungary. He then moved on a free transfer to Scottish First Division club Falkirk. In June 2012 he signed a three year deal with Scottish Premiership side Dundee United FC.
On 21 September 2011, he scored a 90th minute freekick in the League Cup to give Falkirk a 3–2 win over Rangers. The 2011–12 season was very successful for Millar as he was one of Falkirk's best players. With his contract expiring at the end of the season he attracted interest from several clubs, including English Premier League team Swansea City. On 1 April 2012, he played for Falkirk in their 1–0 win over Hamilton in the 2012 Scottish Challenge Cup Final.
Millar agreed to sign for Scottish Premier League club Dundee United for the 2012–13 season. Manager Peter Houston said that he thought United had signed the two best players in the First Division in Millar and Michael Gardyne of Ross County. He also said that he thought Millar was a different type of player to what United already had and that he would become a fans' favourite due to his style of play.
Return to Falkirk on loan
After only making one appearance for United in the opening quarter of season 2013/14, on 31 October 2013, Millar returned to former club Falkirk on a short-term loan deal until January 2014.  He scored his first goals in his return to the Falkirk Stadium on 23 November 2013, with a brace in a 4–0 win over Cowdenbeath. On 6 January 2014, the deal was extended until the end of the season. 
Millar played three times in friendlies for Scotland under 19s. His debut came on 23 March 2007 against Netherlands. He played twice the following month against Norway and Austria. He has also played once for Scotland under 21s. His debut came on 18 November 2008 in a friendly match against Northern Ireland.
Style of play
Millar is a central midfielder. Although he is small he is an aggressive tackler. During his time in Hungary he noted how the players there were skilful but didn't like being closed down and he used this to his advantage by putting in lots of tough tackles. Millar is also a good player technically and has been described as a "playmaker". He is also good at scoring from free-kicks.
- As of 3 September 2013.
- "Scottish Communities League Cup: Falkirk playmaker Mark Millar desperate to dump boyhood heroes Celtic". Daily Record. 26 January 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Hearts should go in hard, says Millar". Herald Scotland. 27 July 2011. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Falkirk sign midfielder Mark Millar from Celtic.". BBC News. 12 June 2010. Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Falkirk 3–2 Rangers". BBC Sport. 21 September 2011. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Swansea eye up move for Falkirk ace Mark Millar". Daily Record. 19 January 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Falkirk 1–0 Hamilton Accies". BBC Sport. 1 April 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Mark Millar to join Dundee United after leaving Falkirk". BBC Sport (BBC). 31 May 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Profile – Mark Millar – U19 Squad Matches". Scottish Football Association. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Profile – Mark Millar – U21 Squad Matches". Scottish Football Association. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Mark Millar". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 May 2012.