Mark Millar (footballer)
Millar playing for Falkirk in 2013
|Full name||Mark Millar|
|Date of birth||23 February 1988|
|Place of birth||Greenock, Scotland|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Queen of the South|
|2009–2010||→ Újpest (loan)||13||(1)|
|2013–2014||→ Falkirk (loan)||25||(6)|
|2015–||Queen of the South||14||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20:20, 16 August 2015 (UTC).
He started his career with Scottish Premier League club Celtic, spending a six-month spell on loan at Újpest in Hungary. He then moved on a free transfer to Scottish First Division club Falkirk. In June 2012 he signed a three-year deal with side Dundee United. He returned to Falkirk on loan for much of the 2013-14 season before being released from his Dundee United contract in May 2014.
Millar signed for First Division side Falkirk in June 2010, he signed on a two-year contract and Falkirk said that two SPL clubs were interested in him. On 21 September 2011, he scored a 90th minute freekick in the League Cup to give Falkirk a 3–2 win over Rangers. The 2011–12 season was very successful for Millar as he was one of Falkirk's best players. With his contract expiring at the end of the season he attracted interest from several clubs, including Premier League team Swansea City. On 1 April 2012, he played for Falkirk in their 1–0 win over Hamilton in the 2012 Scottish Challenge Cup Final.
Millar agreed to sign for Scottish Premier League club Dundee United for the 2012–13 season. Manager Peter Houston said that he thought United had signed the two best players in the First Division in Millar and Michael Gardyne of Ross County. He also said that he thought Millar was a different type of player to what United already had and that he would become a fans' favourite due to his style of play.
After only making one appearance for United in the opening quarter of the 2013–14 season, on 31 October 2013, Millar returned to former club Falkirk on a short-term loan deal until January 2014. He scored his first goals since his return to the Falkirk Stadium on 23 November 2013, with a brace in a 4–0 win over Cowdenbeath. On 6 January 2014, the deal was extended until the end of the season. Millar played a pivotal role in helping The Bairns reach the play-offs, putting in many fantastic performances in the centre of the park. He was the scorer of a last minute penalty against Queen of the South on 23 February 2014, which put Falkirk clear in 3rd spot. His last appearance in his second spell at Falkirk came in a 1-0 (2-1 on agg.) defeat to Hamilton in the Scottish Premiership Play-Off Semi-Final 2nd leg.
After making 30 appearances in all competitions and scoring 6 goals, Millar returned to his parent club Dundee United. On 4 June 2014, Millar was released from his contract by Dundee United. On 16 August 2014, Millar signed for Peterhead on a short-term contract until January 2015. He made his debut on the same day in a 2–0 win against Airdrieonians.
Millar played three times in friendlies for Scotland under 19s. His debut came on 23 March 2007 against Netherlands. He played twice the following month against Norway and Austria. He has also played once for Scotland under 21s. His debut came on 18 November 2008 in a friendly match against Northern Ireland in a match played at Hamilton.
Style of play
Millar is a central midfielder. Although he is small he is an aggressive tackler. During his time in Hungary he noted how the players there were skilful but didn't like being closed down and he used this to his advantage by putting in lots of tough tackles. Millar is also a good player technically and has been described as a "playmaker".
- "Scottish Communities League Cup: Falkirk playmaker Mark Millar desperate to dump boyhood heroes Celtic". Daily Record. 26 January 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Hearts should go in hard, says Millar". The Herald (Herald & Times Group). 27 July 2011. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Falkirk sign midfielder Mark Millar from Celtic". BBC Sport. BBC. 12 June 2010. Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Falkirk 3–2 Rangers". BBC Sport (BBC). 21 September 2011. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Swansea eye up move for Falkirk ace Mark Millar". Daily Record. 19 January 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Falkirk 1–0 Hamilton Accies". BBC Sport (BBC). 1 April 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Mark Millar to join Dundee United after leaving Falkirk". BBC Sport (BBC). 31 May 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "MILLAR BACK AT FALKIRK". Falkirk F.C.
- "Falkirk 4-0 Cowdenbeath". BBC Sport. 23 November 2013.
- Oliver, David (6 January 2014). "Millar time as Mark extends Bairns". Falkirk Herald.
- "Dundee Utd: Gavin Gunning, Mark Millar and Morgaro Gomis exit". BBC Sport. 4 June 2014. Retrieved 16 August 2014.
- Paterson, Colin (16 August 2014). "Airdrieonians 0 Peterhead 2: Red card floors Diamonds". Daily Record. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- "Queen of the South sign up midfielder Mark Millar". BBC Sport. BBC. 8 January 2015. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Profile – Mark Millar – U19 Squad Matches". Scottish Football Association. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Profile – Mark Millar – U21 Squad Matches". Scottish Football Association. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Mark Millar". Soccerbase. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Mark Millar Soccerway profile". Soccerway. Retrieved 17 August 2014.