Mark Morris High School
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Mark Morris High School|
|1602 Mark Morris Court
Longview, Washington 98632
|Motto||"Roar With The Pride"|
|School district||Longview School District|
|Color(s)||Red and Columbia Blue|
The school was built in 1957 and is named for Samuel Mark Morris, the third president of the Long-Bell Lumber Company. The school has a partially open campus. Students are allowed to leave campus during lunch if they wish.
Mark Morris was recognized as one of thirteen high schools identified as a high performing school in the area of math growth during the 2013 Washington Achievement Awards at OSPI in Olympia. OSPI assesses data from state testing over the past three years and it made significant growth during that period.
The Mark Morris Monarchs compete in a wide variety of sports, including American football, basketball, girls' volleyball, soccer, cross country, water polo, wrestling, swimming, baseball, golf, bowling, softball, tennis, cheerleading and track and field. Local rivals include the R.A. Long High School Lumberjacks and the Kelso Hilanders. Mark Morris plays its home football games at Longview Memorial Stadium, which is near the R.A. Long campus.
Mark Morris plays rival R.A. Long at least once a year in football in a game called the "Civil War".
The school has a swimming pool on campus, The Dick Mealy Memorial Pool.
- Baseball: 1973
- Boys Basketball: 1978, 1985, 1987
- Boys Golf: 1998
- Boys Tennis: 1989
- Girls Basketball: 2013, 2015
- Girls Bowling: 2010, 2011, 2013
- Girls Golf: 1994
- Girls Tennis: 1979, 1980
- Volleyball: 1979, 1980
- Bud Black – former Major League Baseball pitcher and current San Diego Padres manager
- Doug Christie – former basketball player, retiring with the Los Angeles Clippers
- Trevor Smith - Wa State Champion wrestler; NJCAA All-American wrestler; professional mixed martial artist currently competing in the UFC's Middleweight Division
- Rick Sweet – former Major League Baseball catcher and current coach in the Cincinnati Reds farm system
- Brian Thompson – Actor, known for his work in action films and television series. Class of 77.
- Lisa Sari – an American soccer midfielder who last played for the Los Angeles Sol of Women's Professional Soccer. She also coaches FC Portland. Her jersey still hangs in the main hallway at Mark Morris.