Mark Perry (author)
Mark Perry (born 1950) is an American author specializing in military, intelligence, and foreign affairs analysis. He has authored nine books: Four Stars, Eclipse: The Last Days of the CIA, A Fire In Zion: Inside the Israeli-Palestinian Peace Process, Conceived in Liberty, Lift Up Thy Voice, Grant and Twain, Partners In Command, Talking To Terrorists, and The Most Dangerous Man in America: The Making of Douglas MacArthur. Perry’s articles have been featured in a number of leading publications including The Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, The Nation, Newsday, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Christian Science Monitor, and The Plain Dealer (Cleveland, Ohio). He is a graduate of Northwestern Military and Naval Academy and of Boston University.
Perry is the former co-Director of the Washington, D.C., London, and Beirut-based Conflicts Forum, which specializes in engaging with Islamist movements in the Levant in dialogue with the West. Perry served as co-Director for over five years. A detailed five-part series on this experience was published by the Asia Times in March and in July 2006. Perry served as an unofficial advisor to PLO Chairman and Palestinian President Yasser Arafat from 1989 to 2004.
Perry has appeared on numerous national and international televised forums. He is a frequent guest commentator and expert on Al-Jazeera television, has appeared regularly on CNN’s The International Hour and on Special Assignment. Perry’s work on the CIA’s program to destabilize the Saddam Hussein regime, originally published by Regardies magazine, was the basis for an award winning BBC Panorama production of “The Intelligence War Against Iraq”. His son, Cal Perry, was a CNN Mideast correspondent and is currently al-Jazeera's Jerusalem correspondent.
Perry’s books have met with critical acclaim from Kirkus Reviews, The Washington Post, The New York Review of Books, The New York Times, The New Yorker, and many other publications. He has served as editor of Washington D.C.’s City Paper, and the Veteran, the largest circulation newspaper for veterans. Perry was also Washington correspondent for The Palestine Report, and is currently a senior fellow at the Jerusalem Media and Communications Center.
Perry was a senior foreign policy analyst for Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation (VVAF). VVAF, a leading international humanitarian organization, co-founded the International Campaign to Ban Landmines, the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize recipient. Perry served as the political director for the VVAF’s Campaign for a Landmine Free World.
- Kitfield, James (September 9, 2009). "Four Stars : The Inside Story of the Forty-Year Battle Between the Joint Chiefs of Staff and America's Civilian Leaders (9780395429235): Mark Perry: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "Eclipse: The Last Days of the CIA (9780756751807): Mark Perry: Books". Amazon.com. September 9, 2009. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- Perry, Mark. "A Fire in Zion: The Israeli-Palestinian Search for Peace (9780688121716): Mark Perry: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- Rains, Alice. "Conceived In Liberty: William Oates, Joshua Chamberlain, and the American Civil War (9780140247978): Mark Perry: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- Washington, Booker T. "Lift Up Thy Voice: The Grimke Family's Journey from Slaveholders to Civil Rights Leaders (9780142001035): Mark Perry: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- Hackett, David. "Grant and Twain: The Story of a Friendship That Changed America (9780679642732): Mark Perry: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "Partners In Command: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- Coleman, Isobel. "Talking to Terrorists: Why America Must Engage with its Enemies (9780465011179): Mark Perry: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- Perry, Mark (April 1, 2014). "The Most Dangerous Man in America: The Making of Douglas MacArthur". Basic Books. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- "Conflicts Forum". Conflicts Forum. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "Islamism Fascism Terrorism". Asia Times Online. September 11, 2001. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "Jonathan Neumann, "Our Defenders at the CIA"". Retrieved September 16, 2014.
- "Experts: Strike may speed up nuclear plan". Ynet. 29 Sep 2012.
...Mark Perry, who served as the unofficial advisor of former Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat in 1989-2004 and presented the Palestinian stance in interviews to US television stations.
- "Mark Perry". Eisenhower Institute. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- Shott, Chris (October 15, 2011). "D.C. Arts, News, Food and Living". Washington City Paper. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "The VVA Veteran". Vva.org. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "Palestine Report – Palestinian news in English". Palestinereport.ps. September 29, 2005. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "Jerusalem Media and Communications Centre – Breaking News & Opinion on the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict". JMCC.org. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "Message From Bobby Muller". Veterans For America. February 19, 2010. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "International Campaign to Ban Landmines". ICBL. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "Perry-tales in ‘Foreign Policy’". The Times of Israel. Retrieved September 16, 2014.
- "Is Washington undermining Israel's campaign against Iran? - The Globe and Mail". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved September 16, 2014.