Mark Phillips (footballer)
|Full name||Mark Ian Phillips|
|Date of birth||2 September 1982|
|Place of birth||Lambeth, England|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Braintree Town FC|
|2007||→ Darlington (loan)||8||(0)|
|2014||→ Aldershot Town (loan)||7||(1)|
|2014–2015||→ Aldershot Town (loan)||5||(0)|
|2015||Braintree Town F.C.||14||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 12:42, 16 April 2015 (UTC).
Mark Ian Phillips (born 2 September 1982, Lambeth) is a professional footballer who is currently unattached.
Phillips was signed as a youth player for Millwall in July 2000, and first appeared with the senior team in September 2001. He suffered from frequent injuries and notched up just 67 league appearances during his seven years at Millwall, scoring once against Sheffield United. He was released at the end of the 2007–08 season.
Phillips signed a one-year deal for Brentford on 14 August 2008, after a successful trial spell and played regularly for the first team afterJames Wilson's loan had expired. He ended up being an important member of the Brentford League Two winners squad and consequently was offered a new contract at the conclusion of the 2008–09 season. He scored his first and only goal for the club in a 1–1 draw with Notts County.
He was released by Brentford on 11 May 2010, along with three other players.
Phillips trialled with League Two side Southend United in July 2010. On 31 July, Phillips signed a pre-contract agreement for Southend United. On 4 August 2010, Southend's transfer embargo was lifted and Phillips signed a two-year contract.
Phillips started Southend's first game of the season against Stockport County on 7 August 2010 and on 14 August 2010 against Aldershot Town. Since then Phillips has been plagued by groin injuries which required surgery. In January 2011 Phillips returned to full training.
In 2011–12, Phillips regained his place in the starting 11 for Southend, and formed a solid partnership at centre back with club captain Chris Barker. Despite a few small injuries, Phillips has remained a permanent fixture in the Blues back four, and was named captain for the abandoned game against Aldershot on Boxing Day 2011. At the end of the 2011–12 season, Phillips was named Player of the year down to his frequent strong performances.
- Southend United
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2003). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2003/2004. Queen Anne Press. p. 336. ISBN 1-85291-651-6.
- "Millwall 1–2 Sheff Utd". BBC. 4 December 2004. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "Brentford 1–1 Notts County". BBC. 17 January 2009. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "Brentford release Mark Phillips and Steve Kabba". BBC Sport. 2010-05-11.
- "Mark Phillips: AFC Wimbledon sign Southend defender". BBC Sport. 23 June 2014. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Mark Phillips Returns on Loan". Non League Bets. 3 October 2014. Retrieved 3 October 2014.