A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mark Pigott, KBE, (born February 6, 1954), is an American businessman. He is Executive Chairman of the Board of Directors of PACCAR since April 2014. He was Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Paccar, Inc. from January 1997 to April 2014. Pigott has been highlighted as one of the US's leading CEOs by Forbes magazine, in their annual listing of the top ten CEOs in the country.
Pigott was born in San Francisco and raised in Seattle. He has lived in many cities in North America, studied in Italy, and worked in the United Kingdom from 1984 to 1989. He graduated from Stanford University receiving his B.S. in Industrial Engineering (1976), an M.S. in Business (1984), and a B.A. in Humanities (1998). He has received an Honorary Doctorate in Science (Sc. D.) from Trinity College, Dublin (2007), an Honorary Doctorate of Laws (LL.D.) from Gonzaga University (2008), an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters (D.H.L.) from Lehman College, NY (2010), and a D.H.L. from Seattle University, WA (2012), an Honorary Doctorate of Fine Arts from the University of Puget Sound, WA (2014), and an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from the University of Washington, WA (2016).
Pigott's successful career with PACCAR began in 1978. He is the fourth generation of the Pigott family to lead the company. PACCAR, a Fortune 200 company, celebrated its 110th year in 2015 and has earned 77 years of consecutive profitability. PACCAR (revenues $19.12 billion) (Nasdaq:PCAR) is publicly traded and is a global technology leader in the capital goods and financial services industries. PACCAR's major brands are DAF Trucks, Kenworth and Peterbilt trucks, PACCAR Financial, PacLease, PACCAR Parts and PACCAR Information Technology.
Under Pigott's leadership as Chairman and CEO, Paccar has delivered a 1,700 percent total return to shareholders. Pigott's focus on quality and innovation has resulted in Paccar receiving many J.D. Power and Associates Awards for highest customer satisfaction as well as International Truck of the Year Awards.
Pigott has been Chairman of the DAF Supervisory Board since 1996, served on the Business Council (Washington, D.C.) (retired), and on the Washington State Business Roundtable Executive Committee (retired).
Harvard Business Review (January 2010) named Pigott as one of the top 50 global CEO's based on long term shareholder returns.
Pigott is President of the PACCAR Foundation, which annually donates $5–$10 million in support of education, social services and the arts. Beneficiaries included University of North Texas (2006), Stanford University (2006), Mississippi State University (2007), Gonzaga University (2006), East Mississippi Community College (2007), University of Washington (2008) Seattle University (2009) University of Puget Sound (2013) and Washington State University (2014). Pigott established the prestigious PACCAR Award for Teaching Excellence at the University of Washington in 1997. This is the highest honorarium teaching award for MBA professors in the United States. Pigott's strong support of corporate giving is demonstrated by the fact that in 2014, PACCAR was ranked fifth on a list of 25 top large corporate philanthropists in the state of Washington by the Puget Sound Business Journal Book of Lists.
On a personal basis, Pigott has funded professorships and scholarships at Stanford University, Trinity College Dublin, the University of Washington, Gonzaga University, Kings College, Cambridge, Cambridge University and Trinity College, Dublin.
Pigott holds seats on the Board of the Royal Shakespeare Company America, The British Library Foundation, St. George's Society (New York) Advisory Board,  and Trinity College Foundation. He is a life member of the National Gallery London, The British Library, Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufacture Commerce (RSA), and the Royal National Theatre, UK. Major philanthropy activities of his include strategic planning and implementation of capital projects at St Paul's Cathedral, London, the Royal Shakespeare Company, National Gallery UK and Trinity College, Dublin. An avid bibliophile, Pigott is involved in numerous projects benefiting the British Library and the Folger Shakespeare Library. For over a decade, his dedication to educating the next generation of leaders is evidenced by his participation as a lecturer at numerous graduate schools of business, including the University of Washington, Seattle University, Gonzaga University, Stanford, and Trinity College, Dublin.
Awards and honors
Mark Pigott has been awarded numerous honors, awards, and knighthoods over the course of his career. Notable awards include:
|Year||Award or Honor||Organization||Country|
|2016||Knight of the Order of St. John ||Venerable Order of Saint John||United States|
|2014||Chevalier of Orders and Letters||French Culture||France|
|2013||Inducted into Industry Week's Manufacturing Hall of Fame||Industry Week||United States|
|2012||Honorary Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (KBE)||Order of the British Empire||United Kingdom|
|2010||Medal of Honor from the St George's Society of New York||St George's Society of New York||United States|
|2009||Cross of the Order of Merit||Republic of Hungary||Hungary|
|2009||Commander of the Order of St. John||Venerable Order of Saint John||United States|
|2009||Guild of Benefactors||Cambridge University||United Kingdom|
|2008||Officer of the Order of Orange-Nassau||Order of Orange-Nassau||Netherlands|
|2007||Stanford University Governors’ Award for over 30 years' of dedicated service to the University||Stanford University||United States|
|2007||Albert Schweitzer Leadership Award (HOBY)||Hugh O'Brian Youth (HOBY) organization||United States|
|2006||Ellis Island Medal of Honor ||National Ethnic Coalition of Organizations (NECO)||United States|
|2006||Commander of the Order of the Crown (Belgium)||Kingdom of Belgium||Belgium|
|2005||Honoree of the Ireland Chamber of Commerce (ICCUSA)||Ireland Chamber of Commerce||Ireland|
|2005||Irish America Magazine "Business 100" list||Irish America Magazine||Ireland|
|2003||Washington State CEO of the Year||Washington CEO magazine||United States|
|2003||Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE),.||Order of the British Empire||United Kingdom|
- "Mark Pigott: Executive Profile & Biography - Businessweek". investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- Forbes – CEO Compensation, Performance v Pay rank 3/189. Forbes, 2007.
- "Stanford School of Engineering Alumni Profile". Soe-oldwebserver.stanford.edu. Archived from the original on 11 December 2012. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Trinity College Dublin Annual Report 2006-2007" (PDF). Tcd.ie. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Lehman Today Fall 2010 - Winter 2011" (PDF). Lehman.edu. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
-  Archived February 16, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- "PCAR stock quote - PACCAR Inc. stock price - NASDAQ.com". NASDAQ.com. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "About US - PACCAR". Paccar.com. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Open Line - May 12, 2014 Edition · University of Puget Sound". Pugetsound.edu. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "WSU honors major donation from PACCAR". WSU News. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Jain wins 2009 PACCAR Award for Excellence in Teaching". Foster.washington.edu. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Top Corporate Philanthropists, Companies with more than $500M revenue". Puget Sound Business Journal. 23 May 2014. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Book of Lists - Puget Sound Business Journal". Puget Sound Business Journal. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- Why Mark Pigott Supports Cambridge Archived 2013-03-20 at the Wayback Machine., Cambridge University Development Office.
- American History Lectureship Established at Trinity College Archived 2011-06-07 at the Wayback Machine., Dublin, May 3, 2007.
- "RSC America". Rsc.org.uk. Archived from the original on 18 October 2014. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "THE BRITISH LIBRARY - The world's knowledge". Bl.uk. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
-  Archived July 26, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Development, Trinity College Dublin (21 March 2013). "Development". Tcd.ie. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "The National Gallery, London". Nationalgallery.org.uk. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "RSA - Home". Rsa.org.uk. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Members Online Booking". National Theatre. Archived from the original on 29 July 2012. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- American millionaire Mark Pigott lavishes gifts on UK, Muckety.com, December 2, 2008
- https://web.archive.org/web/20110606152635/http://www.tcd.ie/alumni/news/archive/trinitytoday/12/content2.php. Archived from the original on June 6, 2011. Retrieved May 25, 2010. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20080919045052/http://www.bl.uk/news/2008/pressrelease20080730.html. Archived from the original on September 19, 2008. Retrieved May 25, 2010. Missing or empty
- "-Folger Shakespeare Library". Bl.uk. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
-  Archived July 20, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
-  Archived March 10, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100619215910/http://soe.stanford.edu/alumni/profiles/pigott.html. Archived from the original on June 19, 2010. Retrieved May 25, 2010. Missing or empty
- "IW Manufacturing Hall of Fame 2013 Inductee: Mark Pigott". Industryweek.com. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "St George's Society of New York: The English Ball". Archived from the original on March 23, 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-25.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120425204236/http://www.huembwas.org/szia/mark_pigott.htm. Archived from the original on April 25, 2012. Retrieved October 11, 2012. Missing or empty
- "HOBY - Home". Hoby.org. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "NECO". NECO. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Welcome to the Ireland Chamber of Commerce – USA". Iccusa.org. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- BusinessWeek – “Thinking Outside the Truck”
- PACCAR - The Pursuit of Quality, Alex Groner and Barry Provorse; Documentary Media, Seattle, Washington, 2005 – 4th Edition
- Kenworth Trucks: The First 75 Years, Doug Siefkes; Sasquatch Books, Printed in Canada, 1998
- PACCAR Inc Business Background Report, ChoiceLevel Books, Filiquarian Publishing, LLC / Qontro, June 12, 2009
- Gonzaga Unveils Professorship Initiative