Mark Powell (photographer)
Mark Alor Powell
|Born||1968 (age 50–51)|
|Photos of street scenes and unusual people in Detroit and Mexico City|
Mark Alor Powell (born 1968) is an American photographer. He is best known for his photos of street scenes and unusual people in Detroit and Mexico City. He was a member of the In-Public street photography collective.
Life and work
Powell was born in 1968 in Decatur, Illinois. He has exhibited his work at the Brooklyn Institute of Contemporary Art, the New Museum in New York City and the Museo El Eco in Mexico City.
Publications by Powell
- V.I.P. (Very Important Person). Mexico City: Diamantina, 2006. ISBN 968-5467-12-9.
- Open at Noon. Mexico City: Editorial RM, 2014. ISBN 978-8415118886.
Publications with contributions by Powell
- Fotolog Book: A Global Snapshot for the Digital Age. London: Thames and Hudson, 2006. ISBN 9780500512517. Over 1,000 images selected from the online photo journals found on the Fotolog photoblog website.
- La Ciudad de Mexico (translation: Mexico City). Mexico City: Fundación Televisa, 2008. Spanish.
- Los que se Quedan (translation: Those Who Remain). Mexico City: Diamantina, 2009. ISBN 978-6-079534-50-9. Spanish. "Book inspired by the documentary film that speaks with families in Mexico of people who have gone to work in the United States. Touches on the economic and social impact on the divided families from the point of view of those who remain in Mexico, rather than those who emigrate."
- Street Photography Now. London: Thames & Hudson, 2010. ISBN 978-0-500-54393-1 (hardback). London: Thames & Hudson, 2011. ISBN 978-0-500-28907-5 (paperback). Edited by Sophie Howarth and Stephen McLaren.[n 1]
- 100 Great Street Photographs. Munich, London, New York: Prestel, 2017. By David Gibson. ISBN 978-3791383132. Contains a commentary on and a photograph by Powell.
- 2013: Editorial RM Fotolibro prize, for his then unpublished book Open at Noon.
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- 2007: VIP and Selections, Gallery 40,000, Chicago, IL.
- 2007: Loca Tristeza Mexicana, Art Print Gallery, San Miguel Allende, Mexico.
- 2008: Another Day in Paradise, Art Print Gallery, San Miguel Allende, Mexico.
- 2009: Street Wise, Ten Haaf Gallery, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- 2009: Moving Boxes, Arróniz Arte Contemporaneo, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2009: Home of The Brave, Yautepec Gallery, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2010: Shelf Life, Museo Archivo de la Fotografia, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2011: Ducks, Bulls and Other Encounters, Art Print Gallery, San Miguel Allende, Mexico.
- 2012: The Emperor and His Chairs, Art Print Gallery, San Miguel Allende, Mexico.
- 2015: For Sale Detroit, Arróniz Arte Contemporaneo, Mexico City, Mexico.
- The book is described here at tumblr.com.
- Noble, Barnes &. "Mark Alor Powell: Open at Noon". Barnes & Noble. Retrieved 2019-02-25.
- "MarkPowell". In-Public. Archived from the original on 12 February 2015. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- along (2007). "Location, Location, Location". sundaytelegraph. Retrieved July 20, 2007.
- "Los que se quedan : crónicas gráficas nacidas del documental de Juan Carlos Rulfo y Carlos Hagerman sobre el México que permanece / textos, César Gándara ... [et al.] ; fotografías Gabriel Batiz ... [et al.]". Stanford University. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-05-06. Retrieved 2014-05-06.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Official website
- A description of Powell's 2008 edition from the Mexico City neighborhood of Tlatelolco
- Discussion: Mark Alor Powell, 2point8
- Powell's work at the Brooklyn Institute of Contemporary Art
- Featured Photographer: Mark Alor Powell, Forty Media
- Powell's photos at JPG magazine
- Location, Location, Location, Fotolog
|This article about an American photographer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|