Sir Mark Prescott, 3rd Baronet (born 1948), is a race horse trainer with over 1300 winners to his name. An English baronet he inherited his baronetcy from his uncle and obtained his first trainer's licence in 1970.
The son of a theatre and art critic for Punch, the young Prescott broke his back in a riding accident in 1965 resulting in a 9-month stay at Oswestry Orthopedic Hospital. He was educated at Harrow School.
On 1 September 2009 Prescott and television cook Clarissa Dickson-Wright received an absolute discharge from Scarborough Magistrates Court after pleading guilty to hare coursing whilst attending an event organized by Yorkshire Greyhound Field Trialling Club in March 2007.
Sir Mark trains at the Newmarket yard, Heath House (which traces back to Tregonwell Frampton, England's first professional race horse trainer). He took over running the yard in 1970 on the retirement of Jack Waugh, to whom Sir Mark was assistant. Sir Mark is well known and hugely respected as a patient trainer, whose horses are given time and not rushed. Sir Mark is also a famously skilled 'placer' of horses, choosing horse's races very carefully. He formerly had a decades-long association with veteran jockey George Duffield - the pair shared probably the sport's longest and strongest jockey/trainer alliance. Since George Duffield's retirement, Sir Mark has largely used riders Seb Sanders, Stevie Donohoe and Rosie Jessop. Luke Morris has also been used more recently.
Sir Mark's personal interests include coursing, cock fighting and bull fighting. Sir Mark was also an enthusiastic and valuable supporter of the great Waterloo Cup - the blue riband of the sport of hare coursing.
- Champion Stakes - (2) - Alborada (1998, 1999)
- Cheveley Park Stakes - (1) - Hooray (2010)
- King's Stand Stakes - (1) Pivotal (1996)
- Nassau Stakes - (2) Last Second (1996), Alborada (1998)
- Nunthorpe Stakes - (2) - Pivotal (1996), Marsha (2017)
- Preis von Europa - (1) - Albanova (2004)
- Rheinland-Pokal - (1) Albanova (2004)
- West LB Deutschland-Preis - (1) Albanova (2004)
- Pretty Polly Stakes -(1) - Alborada (1998)
- "Sir Mark Prescott". newmarket race horse trainers. Archived from the original on 2009-09-06. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "Sir Mark Prescott: The legendary trainer's record scrutinised". betfair. January 2008. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- Frances Karon (May 2008). "Sir Mark Prescott: A life less ordinary". European Trainer. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- Simon Milham (January 2007). "Sir Mark Prescott: A life less ordinary". Associated Newspapers Ltd. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- Nick West (September 2009). "Clarissa Dickson-Wright and Sir Mark Prescott plead guilty to hare coursing". Horse & Hound. Archived from the original on 2010-01-24. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- Charlie Brooks (September 2004). "Clarissa Dickson-Wright and Sir Mark Prescott plead guilty to hare coursing". Telegraph Media Group Limited. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
Richard Stanley Prescott
|This British horse racing biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|