Mark Reynolds (sailor)
November 2, 1955 |
San Diego, California, U.S.
|Club||San Diego Yacht Club|
Mark J. Reynolds (born November 2, 1955) is an American Star class sailor and Olympic champion. He has sailed Stars since age four, training with his father James Reynolds who was the 1971 World Champion (as crew for Dennis Conner).
Reynolds competed at multiple Olympics, medaling in 1988 and 1992. In 1996 he came in eighth. Afterwards he formed a new partnership with crewman Magnus Liljedahl, and they went on to win a string of championships, culminating with a gold medal at the 2000 Olympics.
Reynolds sailed for San Diego State University, where he received a BS. As a sophomore, Mark was All American on the San Diego State University sailing team in 1974. Mark led the team to a 2nd place finish both in 1974 and 1975 in the North American Dinghy Championships. He also holds an honorary doctorate from Piedmont College.
He owns a sail making company. He made the sails for almost all of his Star class competitors.
- 1975 ICYRA All-American
- 1978 Snipe US National Champion
- 1979 Snipe Worlds runner up
- 1980,1982 & 1991 Snipe North American Champion
- Continental Star Champion (ten times including 1997, 1998, 2001)
- 1984 Bacardi Cup Champion (again in 1989, 1990, 1993, 1997, 1998, & 2002)
- 1989 & 1992 U.S. Olympic Committee Athlete of the Year for Sailing
- 1995 & 2000 Star World Champion
- 1998 North American Star Champion (again in 2002)
- 2000 ISAF/Sperry World Sailor of the Year
- 2001 Commodores Cup Champion (again in 2002)
- 2002 Inducted into Sailing World's Hall of Fame
- 2002 Farr 40 World Champion (tactician)
- 2004 Rolex Miami OCR Champion
- "Mark Reynolds: Sailing – Inducted into the Breitbard Hall of Fame in 2003". San Diego Hall of Champions Sports Museum. 2004-06-08. Archived from the original on August 10, 2007. Retrieved 2008-04-26.
- "10 Questions: American boat sailor Mark Reynolds". CNN/Sports Illustrated. September 20, 2000. Retrieved 2008-04-26.
- "Mark Reynolds". DatabaseOlympics.com. Retrieved 2008-04-25.
- SAN DIEGO COASTKEEPER
- Zoom Information
|This article about a yacht racing Olympic medalist of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|