Mark Roberts (streaker)
Mark Roberts streaking at the Hong Kong Sevens Rugby tournament in March 1994, his second streak at the tournament.
Mark Roberts is a British streaker who has run naked during several international events. Roberts' streaking began when he saw a news report about a female streaker at a 1993 Rugby Sevens game in Hong Kong. After a bet in a bar, he went naked in front of the crowd himself the next day.
Roberts has done this, as of 2018, 565 times in 23 countries, targeting such events as Hamilton Race Course, a Mr. Universe contest, a Miss World contest, tennis matches, the bull run in Pamplona, the synchronized swimming world championship in Barcelona, and his specialty, association football matches. According to Roberts, he was mandated to surrender his passport whenever an English football team played abroad following a 2001 conviction for streaking. It is unclear how long this mandate was in place.
A 2002 advertisement created by the ad agency Dimension (Spain) for Spanish sportswear company Athletic Bilbao featured Mark Roberts streaking fully clothed during a nude football game. It won a bronze award at the 2003 Cannes Festival.
In January 2003, Roberts flew to San Diego, California, United States, where he planned to streak at the Super Bowl XXXVII. He was unable to get tickets to that game, but succeeded next year on Super Bowl XXXVIII, in Houston, Texas. Just before the start of the second half, he ran onto the field disguised as a referee, undressed, and performed a little dance wearing only a thong. Tackled by members of the New England Patriots and Carolina Panthers, as well as by police and security, he was taken into custody. In June 2004 he was given a fine of $1000 for trespassing.
Roberts planned on retiring by streaking at the 2006 World Cup final in Germany, but was stopped before he could enter the stadium. Later on, in 2007 Roberts ran out on the field of Wembley Stadium during the NFL's first regular season game outside of North America between the New York Giants and Miami Dolphins. The very next year, Roberts struck again, this time in the final of the 2008 World Snooker Championship between Ronnie O'Sullivan and Ali Carter. He did so previously at the same venue in 2004.
In 2011 the artist Benedikt Dichgans hired Roberts to streak in Tate Britain and at the Turner Prize but it ended in arrest. He was also featured in the 2011 Banksy-produced documentary, The Antics Roadshow.
In 2018, Mark Roberts made his first appearance since 2013 by taking to the ice at the Gangneung Oval on Friday in nothing but a pink tutu and skimpy underwear during the 2018 Winter Olympic Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea. As soon as the men's 1,000-meter speed skating medal ceremony concluded, Roberts took to the ice with the words "peace and love" emblazoned across his bare chest.
- Phoebe Judge (July 6, 2018). "The Chase - Interview with Mark Roberts". thisiscriminal (Podcast). PRX.
- Mark Roberts, Professional Streaker, accessed 23 November 2007
- "FA Cup Final 2001". Mark Roberts. May 2001. Retrieved 2007-10-08.
- "TV streaker Mark Roberts makes nude protest over Sir Fred Goodwin..." Daily Record. 7 April 2009. Retrieved 3 September 2009.
- "Athletico Bilbao Advertisement 2002". The Streaker. Retrieved 9 August 2015.
- "Events, Festivals, Awards › Cannes Lions". Coloribus Advertising Archive. Retrieved 9 August 2015.
- Streaker Avoids Jail Archived 2007-06-13 at the Wayback Machine, Sky News, 22 July 2004
- "In pictures: Crufts Dog Show". BBC News. 15 March 2010.
- "Streaker at posh North art bash revealls all". Sunday Sun. 11 December 2011. Archived from the original on 12 January 2012.
- "Video of Museum Streak". Retrieved 7 July 2018.
- Dugan, Emily (10 February 2013). "Mark Roberts: A compulsive streak". The Independent. London.
- Lee Moran (24 February 2018). "Streaker Crashes Olympic Speedskating With A Message For The World". HuffPost Canada.