|Member of the Scottish Parliament|
for Mid Scotland and Fife
|Assumed office |
5 May 2016
1 May 2003 – 2 April 2007
|Born||14 May 1972|
|Political party||Scottish Green Party|
Mark Christopher Ruskell (born 14 May 1972) is a Scottish Green Member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP). He was elected to represent Mid Scotland and Fife 2003−2007, then re-elected again in 2016. In the Scottish Parliament, Ruskell is the Greens' spokesperson on Climate, Energy, Environment, Food and Farming.
Mark Ruskell was born on 14 May 1972. He was educated at Edinburgh Academy, then an all-boys independent school, and at Stevenson College, Edinburgh, a further education college in the city. He studied environmental science and biology at the University of Stirling, graduating with a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree, and sustainable agriculture at the Scottish Agricultural College and University of Aberdeen, graduating with a Master of Science (MSc) degree.
In 2003 he was elected to represent Mid Scotland and Fife. He sat on the Scottish Parliament Environment and Rural Development Committee and served as its Deputy Convenor. He lost his seat in the 2007 elections.
In May 2012 he was elected to represent the Dunblane and Bridge of Allan ward of Stirling Council in the Scottish local elections, the first time the Scottish Green Party has had a representative on the council. He stepped down at the 2017 elections to concentrate on his role as a MSP. His party colleague Alasdair Tollemache replaced him as Councillor for Dunblane and Bridge of Allan at the 2017 poll.
His political career has involved fighting numerous campaigns for the Greens including standing in the 2001, 2010 and 2015 UK Westminster General Elections for Stirling and in every Scottish Parliament election since 1999.
In March 2015, the Scottish Greens announced that Ruskell had been selected as the lead candidate for their Mid Scotland and Fife regional list, following a ballot of their members. and was subsequently elected. On 23 May he was announced as the Scottish Greens spokesperson on Climate, Energy, Environment, Food and Farming. He currently sits as a Member of the Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform Committee.
- "Democracy live: Mark Russell MSP". BBC News. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "Ruskell, Mark Christopher". Who's Who 2018. Oxford University Press. 1 December 2017. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U4000406. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- "Previous MSPs: Session 2 (2003-2007): Mark Ruskell". Scottish Parliament. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "Labour wins outright power in Glasgow as SNP advances elsewhere". The Herald. Glasgow. 4 May 2016. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "Turning Scotland Green". Holyrood. 5 October 2013. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- "Scottish Greens regional list candidates". Holyrood. 11 January 2016. Retrieved 12 May 2016.
- "Scottish Greens announce portfolios of new Holyrood group". The Herald. Glasgow. 23 May 2016. Retrieved 18 June 2016.