Mark Scott (businessman)
Scott speaking at the University of Melbourne in 2014
|Born||Mark Walter Scott
9 October 1962
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Employer||NSW Department of Education|
Mark Walter Scott AO (born 9 October 1962) is an Australian businessman, who was the managing director of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation from 2006 to 2016. Prior to commencing at the ABC, Scott had previously held a senior role at Fairfax Media, responsible for the editorial content of the group's major newspapers including The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, The Sun-Herald and The Sunday Age.
Career and background
Educated at Knox Grammar School, Scott worked for the New South Wales Greiner Liberal government, as chief of staff to the Education Minister, Virginia Chadwick, and as a senior adviser to education minister, Terry Metherell.
In 2010 he was appointed to a second five-year term as the ABC's Managing Director. His time at the ABC has been marked by extensive change, including the creation of ABC3, a digital TV channel for children, and the 24-hour news channel ABC News 24, as well as a major expansion into digital and on-line technology and an expansion of quality drama. Scott has been a strong defender of the value of social media in journalism and skeptical on the capacity of news organisations to charge for content they have previously provided free of charge.
In September 2015, Scott announced he would be retiring as managing director and would be leaving the ABC. In December 2015, Michelle Guthrie was announced as Scott's replacement, and took over the role on 2 May 2016.
Cuts to the ABC
In November 2014, as Managing Director of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Scott announced that after 55 years, the Collinswood ABC television studios in South Australia would be closed. The announcement, following the 2011 demolition of the ABC TV facility in Perth and the 2012 closure of Tasmania's TV production unit also revealed the end of state based current affairs show 7.30 Report (state editions) - Formally Stateline.
Responding to 2014 Liberal Government budget cuts of $254 million over 5 years, Mark Scott axed ABC Radio National program Bush Telegraph and five regional radio outposts. In a senate inquiry about the cuts, Scott rejected claims that ABC management was using the Abbott Government's cuts as an excuse to pursue unpopular cost-saving initiatives.
Awards and honours
On 13 June 2011, Scott was named an Officer of the Order of Australia for distinguished service to media and communications, and to the community through advisory and governance roles with a range of social justice and educational bodies.
- "Mr Mark Scott". Our people. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 23 October 2010.[dead link]
- Urban, Rebecca (12 December 2016). "New education boss told to review controversial sex-ed course". The Australian. Retrieved 12 September 2016.
- Kissane, Karen (13 March 2010). "The ABC goes forth into a brave new world". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
- "Scott of the ABC: A family affair of service". The Sydney Morning Herald. 22 May 2006.
- Meade, Amanda (29 October 2010). "Mark Scott's ABC contract extended". The Australian.
- "Mark Scott confirms he will step down as ABC managing director in 2016". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 14 September 2015. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
- "Google executive Michelle Guthrie to replace Mark Scott as ABC managing director". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 21 December 2015. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- Mitchell, Jake (2 May 2016). "ABC needs more diversity, new boss Michelle Guthrie says". The Australian. News Corp Australia. Retrieved 23 May 2016.
- Bagshaw, Eryk; Nicholls, Sean (2 June 2016). "Mark Scott appointed as secretary of NSW Department of Education". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Archived from the original on 6 June 2016.
- "Mark Scott AO". Australian Honours Database. Retrieved 13 June 2011.
|Managing Director of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation