Early life and education
Seliger was born in Amarillo, Texas, the son of Maurice and Carol Lee. The family moved to Houston in 1964. He attended the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts in Houston, and East Texas State University (now Texas A&M University Commerce). He moved to New York City in 1984.
Seliger began working for Rolling Stone in 1987, and served as its chief photographer from 1992 to 2002  and shot more than 100 covers for the magazine. As of 2010, Seliger lives in New York City, and works for Conde Nast Publications. He has shot a number of covers for GQ and Vanity Fair.
Seliger has also published several books; created a number of CD covers for Burning Spear, Diana Krall and other bands; and directed short films. The celebrities whose portraits Seliger has made include Susan Sarandon, David Byrne, Matthew Barney, Willie Nelson, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Kurt Cobain, Lenny Kravitz, Rob Thomas, Brand Nubian and Tony Bennett.
In 2004, Seliger bought the Richard Neutra-designed Alpha Wirin House in Los Feliz and had designer Mark Haddawy restore the 1949 example of Neutra's Mid-century modern work to maintain its architectural integrity. He sold the house in 2015 for $4.52 million.
- "Listen" Rizzoli (2010) ISBN 978-0-8478-3464-8
- In My Stairwell Rizzoli (2005) ISBN 978-0-8478-2760-2
- Lenny Kravitz by Seliger and Lenny Kravitz, Arena (2001) ISBN 978-1-892041-50-0
- Physiognomy: The Mark Seliger Photographs, Bulfinch (1999) ISBN 978-0-8212-2598-1
- When They Came to Take My Father- voices of the Holocaust Arcade Publishing, (1996) ISBN 978-1-55970-305-5
- Rolling Stone the Complete Covers 1967-1997
- Personal Website at www.markseliger.com
- Mark Seliger at IMDb
- PDN/Nikon Masters series site on Seliger