Mark Smith (basketball)
|No. 13 – Missouri Tigers|
|Born||August 16, 1999|
|Listed height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Listed weight||220 lb (100 kg)|
|High school||Edwardsville (Edwardsville, Illinois)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Mark Smith (born August 16, 1999) is an American college basketball player for the Missouri Tigers of the Southeastern Conference (SEC). He transferred from Illinois, announcing his intent on March 5, 2018. On April 14, 2018 Smith announced he would transfer to Missouri.
Smith is the son of Anthony and Yvonne Smith. His father, Anthony, played college basketball at Southern Illinois and SIU Edwardsville and his mother, Yvonne, also played college basketball at SIU Edwardsville. As a child, Smith was a three-sport athlete, competing in baseball, basketball, and football. While in high school, Smith participated in AAU basketball with the Ramey Jets United program through the Adidas circuit.
High school career
During his junior year of high school, Smith originally committed to play college baseball for Missouri as a right-handed pitcher. However, in July 2016 Smith decommitted from Missouri given Tim Jamieson's retirement and because of an injury to the flexor pronator tendon in his throwing elbow. Prior to switching his athletic focus to basketball, Smith featured a fastball in the low-90s and was considered a major league baseball prospect out of high school.
As a high school senior, he led Edwardsville to a number one ranking in Illinois for the first time in history while averaging 22 points, eight rebounds and eight assists, and was named to the first-team Associated Press All-state team. Smith was also selected as the 2017 Illinois Boys Basketball Gatorade Player of the Year and as 2017 Illinois Mr. Basketball.
On April 26, 2017 Smith announced he would attend college at the University of Illinois to play for the Fighting Illini under new head coach Brad Underwood. In talking about schools he was considering through the recruitment process, Smith listed Duke and Michigan State as his finalists. Smith also considered scholarship offers from Kentucky and Ohio State.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||Commit date|
|Edwardsville, IL||Edwardsville||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)||200 lb (91 kg)||Apr 27, 2017|
|Recruiting star ratings: Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: ESPN:|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 76, 1 (IL), 18 (PG) Rivals: 52 ESPN: 6 (IL), 22 (PG)|
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
Smith left the University of Illinois due to disagreements over the style of play under Brad Underwood. Smith and his parents stated that Underwood was verbally abusive towards Smith during his time on the team. This was later dispelled, but Smith had already been granted eligibility by the NCAA.
- "Mark Smith to transfer from Illinois". Sporting News. March 5, 2018. Retrieved March 27, 2018.
- Larkin, Will. "Mark Smith, former Illini and Mr. Basketball winner, to transfer to Missouri". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- Tupper, Mark (January 3, 2017). "Illini now chasing Edwardsville's Mark Smith". Herald & Review. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- Helfgot, Mike (March 25, 2017). "Mr. Basketball of Illinois for 2017: Edwardsville's Mark Smith". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- O'Donnell, Ricky (April 25, 2017). "How Mark Smith went from potential MLB draft pick to a big-time college hoops recruit". SB Nation. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- Landis, Bill (April 26, 2017). "Mark Smith commits to Illinois basketball over Ohio State, others". The Plain Dealer. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- Kvidahl, Dave (April 27, 2017). "Edwardsville's Smith lives out his dream, signs to play for Illinois". STLtoday. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- "2016-17 Associated Press Boys Basketball All-State Teams". IHSA. March 16, 2017. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- Ryan, Shannon (April 26, 2017). "Mark Smith, 2017's Mr. Basketball from Edwardsville, chooses Illinois". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- Richey, Scott (April 26, 2017). "Smith: 'We're going to be really good'". News Gazette. Retrieved April 27, 2017.