July 9, 1967 |
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|1992–1995||Nordonia (OH) HS (DB)|
|2001–2003||Miami (FL) (DB)|
|2010–2012||Florida State (DC/DB)|
|Head coaching record|
Mark Thomas Stoops (born July 9, 1967) is an American college football coach and former player. He is currently the head football coach at the University of Kentucky, a position he assumed in November 2012. Stoops previously served as defensive coordinator at the University of Arizona from 2004 to 2009, and Florida State University from 2010 to 2012.
Stoops, one of six children born to Ron and Evelyn "Dee Dee" Stoops, attended Cardinal Mooney High School in Youngstown, Ohio, where his father was an assistant coach and defensive coordinator. He is a brother of Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops and former Arizona head coach Mike Stoops, currently the defensive coordinator at Oklahoma.
At Wyoming he served under head coach Dana Dimel. When Dimel was hired at the University of Houston, he took Stoops with him to join the Cougars as co-defensive coordinator (along with Dick Bumpas) and safeties coach in 2000.
On December 11, 2009, Stoops accepted the job as defensive coordinator at Florida State University.
On November 27, 2012, Stoops was hired as the new head coach of the University of Kentucky football program, replacing former head coach Joker Phillips who was fired after a 2–10 season.
Head coaching record
|Kentucky Wildcats (Southeastern Conference) (2013–present)|
|National championship Conference title Conference division title|
Stoops is the younger brother of Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops, former Arizona head coach and current Oklahoma defensive coordinator Mike Stoops, and Ron, Jr., the oldest of the brothers, who is an assistant coach at Youngstown State.
- Thamel, Pete (August 29, 2004). "A Family of Coaches Has Followed Its Leader". The New York Times. Manhattan, New York. Archived from the original on January 23, 2011. Retrieved November 27, 2012.
- Trotter, Jake. - "Stoops@10: Growing Up Youngstown - A symbol of Youngstown - Blue-collar roots, values define Stoops". - The Oklahoman. - August 19, 2008.
- 2007 Big Ten Media Guide. - p.93. - (*.PDF Adobe Acrobat document)
- Cotey, John C. - "USF hires its fourth assistant". - St. Petersburg Times. - January 24, 1996.
- Durrenberger, Charles. - "New Influences". - Arizona Daily Star. - April 17, 2004.
- Lutz, Bob. - Starting Team from Scratch Doesn't Faze Cats' Leavitt". - The Wichita Eagle. - December 29, 1995.
- Gagliardi, Robert. - "Football A Family Affair for Coaches". - Wyoming Tribune Eagle. - September 26, 1998.
- "Houston Cougars". - San Antonio Express-News. - August 20, 2000.
- Degan, Susan Miller. - "Canes Choose DB Coach". - Miami Herald. - February 28, 2001.
- Moredich, John. - "Mark Stoops joins UA as defensive coordinator". - Tucson Citizen. - December 1, 2003.
- ESPN.com FSU Hires Stoops