Mark Swift and Damian Shannon
|Occupation||Screenwriter, film producer|
|Occupation||Screenwriter, film producer|
Mark Swift and Damian Shannon are American screenwriters and film producers. They are known for their collaborative script-writing projects, in particular Freddy vs. Jason and later the 2009 reboot Friday the 13th.
Early life and education
Shannon attended Bishop McNamara High School and New York University. He then enrolled at the University of Southern California, where he met fellow student and later writing partner Mark Swift. Swift went on to graduate from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore; he also attended the Benjamin School.
Swift and Shannon wrote a script for the film Friday the 13th, which was released in 2009. They also wrote a script for a sequel before that project was canceled. They had previously written the script for the 2003 film Freddy vs. Jason, after several previously written scripts had been rejected by the producers at New Line Cinema.
In 2014, Swift and Shannon worked on an original horror project for New Line Cinema, and co-produced O'Lucky Day, a comedy for Paramount Pictures starring Peter Dinklage. In 2015, the pair worked together on a script for an Aladdin prequel, Genies, Some of their unreleased projects include Vikings for Disney; an adaptation of the Image comic Hawaiian Dick, Inland Saints for Paramount, and an adaptation of Howard Chaykin’s graphic novel Power & Glory.
|2003||Freddy vs. Jason||Screenwriters|
|2009||Friday the 13th||From a story by Swift, Shannon, and Mark Wheaton|
|His Name Was Jason: 30 Years of Friday the 13th||Themselves||Documentary film|
|2011||Seconds Apart||Executive Producers|
|2012||I Heart Shakey|
|2013||Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th||Themselves||Documentary film|
|2017||Baywatch||Screenwriters||From a story by Jay Scherick, David Ronn, Thomas Lennon, and Robert Ben Garant|
Nominated- Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Screenplay
- Jim Craddock (2004). VideoHound's Golden Movie Retriever. Visible Ink. p. 317. ISBN 978-0-7876-7470-0.
- "A Comic-Con Panel Psychoanalyzes Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, and Michael Myers". Yahoo Movies, Richard Rushfield, July 25, 2014
- Leslie Halliwell (2006). Halliwell's Film Video and DVD Guide 2007. HarperCollins. ISBN 978-0-00-723470-7.
- "Interview: The Writers of Friday the 13th". Shock till you Drop, Ryan Turek February 3rd 2009.
- "Revisiting all 8 of Freddy’s nightmares, the richest of the slasher franchises". AV Club, By Kenji Fujishima, Jan 14, 2016
- Roger Ebert (6 December 2011). Roger Ebert's Movie Yearbook 2012. Andrews McMeel Publishing. pp. 193–. ISBN 978-1-4494-2150-2.
- Andrew Repasky McElhinney (22 October 2013). Second Takes: Remaking Film, Remaking America. McFarland. pp. 200–. ISBN 978-0-7864-7761-6.
- "Damian Shannon '88 Hollywood Screenwriter". Irish Update, Volume 34 No. 1 Fall 2015. page 18.
- "Hollywood Screenwriter Mark Swift '88 Named 2014 Distinguished Alumnus". The Benjamin School. Buc Banter Online News. 4 June 2014. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "Damian Shannon and Mark Swift". Variety, July 27, 2000.
- "Shark Tale". review by Roger Ebert. October 1, 2004
- " Shark Tale". Slant Magazine, by Nick Schager, September 26, 2004
- "Friday the 13th: Killer Cut (2009)". DVD Talk.
- "Skydance Dives In for Competing Bermuda Triangle Movie (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. June 17, 2015 by Rebecca Ford and Borys Kit
- "A Slice of Life Friday the 13th". New York Times, By NATHAN LEE, FEB. 12, 2009
- "Friday The 13th Producer Says Film Is Now On The Right Track". Pop Culture Now, Jay Jayson. 05/19/2016
- "A Comic-Con Panel Psychoanalyzes Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, and Michael Myers". Yahoo News, Richard Rushfield, July 25, 2014
- Frederick S. Clarke (2003). Cinefantastique. F. S. Clarke. p. 7.
- "Hockey Masks, Machetes and Razor Fingers: The Writers Behind ‘Freddy Vs. Jason’ Tell All!". Bloody Disgusting, By Trace Thurman on May 13, 2016
- "Writer George Richards Previews His Latest, After Dark Originals - Seconds Apart". GeekWeek. Chris Campbell | Jan 28 2011
- "FRIDAY THE 13TH Writers Damian Shannon and Mark Swift to Direct High School Horror Movie". The Collider, by Brendan Bettinger March 22, 2012
- "Dwayne Johnson and David Hasselhoff Strut Their Stuff on ‘Baywatch’ Set". The Wrap, Joe Otterson on March 23, 2016
- "The Baywatch Team Assembles in a New Cast Photo". Coming Soon, Silas Lesnick ON April 26, 2016
- "New Line Picks Up Secret Horror Pitch From Friday the 13th Writers". The Hollywood Reporter. Heat Vision. 12 July 2013. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "Disney’s Wish for Live-Action ‘Aladdin’ Prequel Comes True With ‘Genies’". The Wrap, By Jeff Sneider on July 15, 2015
- "Disney and live action fairytale movies: UK release date calendar". Den of Geek, Rob Leane, 15 Aug 2016
- "Disney conjures up live-action Aladdin prequel in classic “be careful what you wish for” ". AV Club, By William Hughes, Jul 15, 2015
- "NBC Developing Johnny Knoxville Comedy Based on ‘Hawaiian Dick’ Comic Series". Variety, Whitney Friedlander, November 17, 2015
- "New vision for Schumacher’s ‘Saints’". Variety, Tatiana Siegel, November 17, 2008