September 19, 1956 |
Marysville, California, U.S.
Mark Weatherford is an American cybersecurity professional who has held a variety of executive level positions in both the public and private sectors. He was appointed as the first deputy under secretary for cybersecurity at the US Department of Homeland Security from 2011 to 2013 and is a former principal with the Chertoff Group in Washington DC. As of 3 November 2015 he is senior vice president and chief cybersecurity strategist of vArmour.
Weatherford is a graduate of the University of Arizona in Tucson, Arizona, and received his master's degree from the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California. He holds the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) certification.
He is a former US Navy cryptologic officer and led the Navy’s Computer Network Defense operations and the Naval Computer Incident Response Team (NAVCIRT).
Before joining the DHS, he served (2010–11) as the vice president and chief security officer of the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC), where he directed the organization’s critical infrastructure and cybersecurity program for electric utilities across North America. He was also appointed by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger as California's first Chief Information Security Officer in the State of California’s Office of Information Security (2008–09), and was also the first Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) for the State of Colorado (2004–07), where he was appointed by both Governor Bill Owens and Governor Bill Ritter. Most notably, he helped establish the state’s first cybersecurity program and spearheaded some of the nation's first cybersecurity legislation aimed to protect citizens.
Weatherford was one of Information Security magazine’s "Security 7 Award" winners in 2008 and was awarded SC Magazine's "CSO of the Year" award in 2010, In 2012 and 2013 he was named one of the "10 Most Influential People in Government Information Security" by GovInfoSecurity.
- DHS: Secretary Napolitano Appoints Mark Weatherford as Deputy Under Secretary for Cybersecurity
- Chertoff Group: Mark Weatherford Joins Chertoff Group As Principal
- Press release by vArmour.
- NERC: Chief Security Officer Accepts Appointment to Department of Homeland Security Position
- Office of the State CIO California Releases First-Ever Information Security Strategic Plan
- Colorado State CISO Contact Information
- TechTarget.com: Security 7 Award winners tackle important information security issues
- SC Magazine: CSO of the Year
- GovInfoSecurity: Top 10 Influencers in Government IT Security (slide 6)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mark Weatherford.|