Mark Wheatley (comics)
|Born||May 27, 1954|
|Area(s)||Writer, Penciller, Inker, Editor, Publisher, Colourist|
|Breathtaker, Mars, Blood of the Innocent|
|Awards||Inkpot Award, 1992
Mark Wheatley (born May 27, 1954) is an American illustrator, writer, editor, and publisher in the comic book field. Wheatley's comic book and pulp creations include Breathtaker, Mars, and Blood of the Innocent, all illustrated by his frequent collaborator Marc Hempel. Wheatley has written books, comic books, and television shows, and his illustrations have appeared in magazines, books, comic books, and games.
Wheatley came from the world of fandom, having published fanzines in the early 1970s.
In 1978, Wheatley founded the Baltimore-based Insight Studios as a design, illustration, and art production studio; he was joined by Marc Hempel in 1980. Since then, Insight has expanded into publishing and has become home for many notable creators, including Frank Cho.
Film & Television
Breck Eisner is set to direct the upcoming Hollywood film adaptation of Blood of the Innocent, a comic book series Wheatley co-created with Rickey Shanklin and Marc Hempel. Inferno Entertainment has acquired underlying rights to the series and is funding development and production of the feature, which is being co-produced with Circle of Confusion.
- Mars (First Comics, 1984–1985)
- Blood of the Innocent (WaRP Graphics, 1985)
- Breathtaker (DC Comics, 1990)
- Black Hood (DC/Impact Comics, 1991–1992)
- Radical Dreamer (Black Ball Comics, 1994; Mark's Giant Economy Size Comics!, 1995)
- Argus (DC Comics, 1995)
- Titanic Tales (Insight Studios, 1998)
- Jimgrim and the Devil at Ludd (Insight Studios, 1999)
- Hammer of the Gods (co-written with Michael Avon Oeming; Insight Studios, 2001)
- Frankenstein Mobster (Image Comics, 2003)
- Be An Interplanetary Spy (Byron Preiss Visual Publications/Bantam Books)
- Find the Kirillian (1983; story by Seth McEvoy; art by Marc Hempel and Wheatley)
- The Galactic Pirate (1983; story by McEvoy; art by Hempel and Wheatley)
- Robot World (1983; story by McEvoy; art by Hempel and Wheatley)
- Monsters of Doorna (1983; story by McEvoy; art by Hempel and Wheatley)
- Jonny Quest (Comico, 1986–1988)
- Blood of Dracula (Apple Comics, 1987–1988; also editor, 1987–1991)
- 9/11: Emergency Relief (Alternative Comics, 2002)
- 1001 Nights of Snowfall (DC/Vertgo, 2006)
- Miller, John Jackson (June 10, 2005). "Comics Industry Birthdays". Comics Buyer's Guide. Archived from the original on October 30, 2010. Retrieved December 12, 2010.
- McNary, Dave (March 24, 2011). "Inferno funding 'Blood of the Innocent'". Variety.com.
- Given by The Chicago Muckers, a chapter of the international fan organization the Burroughs Bibliophiles.