Mark Whittow (24 August 1957 – 23 December 2017) was a British historian, archaeologist, and academic, specialising in the Byzantine Empire. He was a university lecturer at the University of Oxford and a Fellow in Byzantine Studies at Corpus Christi College, Oxford.
Early life and education
Whittow was a research fellow and lecturer at Oriel College and held faculty positions at the University of Reading and at King's College London, before returning to Oxford in 1998 as a fellow of St Peter's College and University Lecturer in History. He became a fellow of Corpus Christi and University Lecturer in Byzantine Studies in 2009. He was Senior Proctor of the university for the 2016/2017 academic year. In November 2017, he was announced as the next Provost of Oriel College, Oxford; he was to take up the post in September 2018.
He died in a car accident in Oxfordshire late in the evening of 23 December 2017.
- Whittow, Mark (1996). The Making of Orthodox Byzantium, 600–1025. Basingstoke: Macmillan.
- "Recent Research on the Late Antique City in Asia Minor: the second half of the 6th c. revisited" in L. Lavan (ed.) Recent Research in Late Antique Urbanism, JRA Supplementary Series 42, Portsmouth, RI, 2001.
- "Early Medieval Byzantium and the End of the Ancient World", Journal of Agrarian Change, Vol. 9 (2009).
- "The Middle Byzantine Economy", in J. Shepard (ed.) The Cambridge History of the Byzantine Empire, Cambridge, 2009.
- "The Late Roman/Early Byzantine Near East", in The New Cambridge History of Islam I, ed. C. Robinson, Cambridge, 2010.
- England and Wales, Death Index, 1989–2018
- "President and Fellows: Mark Whittow: University Lecturer and Fellow in Byzantine Studies". Corpus Christi College Oxford. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "Dr Mark Whittow". Faculty of History, University of Oxford.
- "Professor Mark Whittow: Lecturer in Medieval History". St. John's College Oxford. Archived from the original on 24 October 2016.
- England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index, 1916–2007
- Callum Keown (27 December 2017). "M40 crash victim named locally as leading Oxford professor Mark Whittow". Oxford Mail.
- Tom Powell (27 December 2017). "Tributes paid to 'witty, brilliant' Oxford University professor killed in M40 multi-car crash". London Evening Standard.
- "Dr Mark Whittow to be Appointed as Oriel's Next Provost". Oriel College. 24 November 2017. Archived from the original on 1 December 2017.
- Badshah, Nadeem (28 December 2017). "Oxford professor Mark Whittow killed in pile‑up". The Times.
|This biographical article about an archaeologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|