Location of Markazi within Iran
|• Total||29,127 km2 (11,246 sq mi)|
|• Density||49/km2 (130/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IRST (UTC+03:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||IRST (UTC+04:30)|
|Main language(s)||Persian, Azeri|
Markazi Province (Persian: استان مرکزی, Ostān-e Markazi ), the medieval Iraq-i Ajam, more recently Arak—is one of the 31 provinces of Iran. The word markazi means central in Persian. In 2014 it was placed in Region 4.
Markazi lies in western Iran. Its capital is Arak. Its population is estimated at 1.41 million. The present borders of the province date to the 1977, when the province was split into the current Markazi and the Tehran Province, with portions being annexed by Esfahan, Semnan Province, and Zanjan.
Markazi province was part of the Median Empire in the first millennium BC, which included all of the central and western parts of modern-day Iran. The region is considered to be one of the ancient settlements on the Iranian plateau. Numerous remaining ruins testify to the antiquity of this area.
In recent times, the expansion of the North-South railroad (commonly known as the Persian Corridor) and the establishing of major industries helped boost development in the area.
Many figures in Iranian history trace their beginnings to this province. namely: Mirza Abulqasem Qaem Maqam, Abbas Eqbal Ashtiani, Mirza Taqi Khan Amir Kabir, Qaem Maqam Farahani, Mahmoud Hessabi, Ayatollah Khomeini, Ayatollah Araki, and many others.
Counties and districts
Markazi province consists of 11 counties and 18 districts (Khondab County has been added to the counties as of 2007).
|Neighbor provinces: E: Esfahan, H: Hamedan, L: Lorestan, Qm: Qom, Qz: Qazvin, T: Tehran|
Colleges and universities
- Arak University of Medical Sciences
- Iran University of Science and Technology, Arak Campus
- University of Arak
- Tafresh University
- Islamic Azad University of Khomein
- Islamic Azad University of Arak
- Islamic Azad University of Saveh
- Islamic Azad University of Farahan
- Islamic Azad University of Ashtian
- Islamic Azad University of Tafresh
- Tarbiat Moallem University of Arak
- Energy University (Saveh)
14th century ceramic bowl with hare and flying Simurghs from Sultanabad (today Arak)
- Selected Findings of National Population and Housing Census 2011
- "معرفی استان مرکزی | وزارت فرهنگ و ارشاد اسلامی". Markazi.farhang.gov.ir. Retrieved 2013-10-23.
- "همشهری آنلاین-استانهای کشور به ۵ منطقه تقسیم شدند (Provinces were divided into 5 regions)". Hamshahri Online (in Persian). June 23, 2014. Archived from the original on June 23, 2014.
- "Islamic Azad University of Khomein". Iaukhomein.ac.ir. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- Islamic Azad University of Saveh (in Persian). Iau-saveh.ac.ir. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "Islamic Azad University of Farahan". Iau-farahan.ac.ir. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "موسسه آموزش عالي غير انتفاعي غير دولتي انرژي ساوه". Energy.ac.ir. 2012-07-25. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Markazi province.|
- Markazi Government General
- Foreign Commercial Centre of Markazi Province
- Cultural Heritage Organization of Markazi province
- Iran Chamber of Commerce, Industries & Mines
||Qazvin Province||Alborz Province||Tehran Province|
|Hamadan Province||Qom Province|
|Lorestan Province||Isfahan Province|