This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type of site
|Headquarters||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Owner||Dow Jones & Company|
|Alexa rank||930 (August 2016[update])|
|Launched||July 31, 1997|
MarketWatch is a financial information website that provides business news, analysis, and stock market data. It is a subsidiary of Dow Jones & Company, a property of News Corp, which also owns The Wall Street Journal and Barron's.
The publication reported it hit a record 33.3 million unique visitors in February 2018. The previous record was 27 million unique visitors in one month. As recently as January 2016, it had 23.3 million unique visitors, which was then a record. It has been honored several times as a top large business-focused website by Editor & Publisher, Media Week, the Society of American Business Editors and Writers, and other publications and organizations.
As per its website, MarketWatch was founded in 1997 by Larry Kramer, Bill Bishop and Thom Calandra, formerly of Bloomberg London editorial department. It received initial funding from the Financial Times and Data Broadcasting Corp., a San Mateo, California, company that owned distribution rights for financial information. Calandra recommended that Kramer hire David Callaway a former colleague of Calandra, as the site's managing editor from Bloomberg two years later. In January 2005, Dow Jones acquired it for $530 million. For a short while, MarketWatch operated in partnership with CBS News. In 2013, Glenn Hall, former editor in chief of TheStreet, became the editor of MarketWatch. In 2014, Jeremy Olshan, a veteran of the New York Post, took over as editor.
- Adinolfi, Joseph (2014-05-14). "Jeremy Olshan takes reins as editor of". MarketWatch. Retrieved 2017-02-07.
- "marketwatch.com Site Overview". Alexa Internet. Retrieved August 14, 2016.
- "MarketWatch.com WHOIS, DNS, & Domain Info - DomainTools". WHOIS. Retrieved 2016-08-14.
- Roush, Chris, "MarketWatch.com sets monthly visitor record", Talking Biz News, March 13, 2018.
- Wilkerson, David B., "Callaway to become top USA Today editor", MarketWatch, July 10, 2012. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- "MarketWatch.com, Inc. ... annual report", WorldCat.org, n.d. Retrieved 2011-12-04.
- By MarketWatch (2013-09-23). "appoints Glenn Hall editor". MarketWatch. Retrieved 2017-02-07.