Market Fresh (or called Marché Frais in French) is a Gatineau, Quebec-based supermarket chain which specializes in fresh food products including fruits, vegetables, dairy, breads, and prepared-products including some meat.
The company was founded in 1991 by Gatineau area businessman Jean-Luc Brazeau. While the first years of operations were concentrated in the Outaouais side of the National Capital Region, stores were later opened all across Ottawa until 2004.
After enjoying some success, especially in the Outaouais in which it won an award from the Outaouais Chamber of Commerce in 1996, the company started to endure several financial difficulties most notably due to the fierce competition by grocery and retail giants such as Costco, Loeb, Loblaws as well as another local business Farm Boy which sells similar products.
By the start of 2006, Market Fresh decided to concentrate its activities once again in Gatineau only due to decreasing profits from the Ontario stores. All stores, including the newest ones in Kanata and Bayshore Shopping Centre, were closed before the year ended. The Bayshore location, which filled some of the gap left by the former Les Ailes de la Mode store, was opened for 14 months, while the Kanata location was opened for an even shorter period. Stores that opened in 1998 at St. Laurent Shopping Centre and Place d'Orleans as well as the first Ottawa store in Vanier and the Bank Street location were also affected. Workers were only informed one day prior to the closure.
- Ducas, Isabelle (November 25, 1996). "Gala des gens d'affaires de la Chambre de commerce et d'industrie de l'Outaouais (Outaouais Chamber of Commerce and Industry awards gala". Le Droit. p. 7.
- La Haye, Dominique (December 31, 2005). "Marché frais ferme ses quatre magasins d'Ottawa (Market Fresh closes its four Ottawa stores)". Le Droit. p. 3.
- Belanger, Mathieu (July 8, 2005). "Un feu criminel responsable de la dévastation à Aylmer (Criminal hand responsible for major Aylmer fire)". Le Droit. p. 6.
- CBOFT (Ottawa-Gatineau) (January 5, 2008). "Marché Frais ferme ses portes (Aylmer Market Fresh store closed)". Radio-Canada.
- Lafortune, Louis (February 23, 2006). "Marché Frais évite la faillite (Market Fresh avoids bankruptcy". Le Droit. p. 25.
- Marché Frais website (in French)
|This retail business article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to Ottawa and to Canada's National Capital Region is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|