Markethill High School
|Markethill High School|
61 Mowhan Road
|Local authority||County Armargh|
|Principal||Mr Colin Berry|
|Age||11 to 16|
Markethill High School is a secondary school located in Markethill, County Armagh, Northern Ireland. The school caters for 11- to 16-year-olds and currently has 490 pupils. It is within the Southern Education and Library Board area.
In March 2012 the school won the British Academy Award for the Best Mainstream School for Modern Languages in Northern Ireland. In addition, the school has been shortlisted to the final 3 entries for the Best Mainstream School in the UK for Modern Languages. In January 2012 the school won £4000 to fund a STEM project (Science / Technology / Engineering / Mathematics) based on an exciting, innovative and highly creative cross-curricular initiative.
In 2011 the school opened a new state-of-the-art fitness suite and gymnasium which is open to the public three evenings per week. In 2012 the school's Art and Music Departments will be refurbished and there will be new rugby posts on the Pinley Green site.
In 2012 the school received its best ever GCSE results, with 85% of pupils attaining five A*-C GCSE passes or better. This is an 8% increase on 2011 and the first time the school has achieved over 80%. The 85% statistic would put the school into the top 6% of all non-selective schools in Northern Ireland, and would make it one of the top two performing non-selective controlled schools in the Southern Education and Library Board, with results more than 20% above the Northern Ireland average for non-selective schools.
The school opened in 1959, and was renovated and extended in 1985.
- 1959 - 1984 Mr J.McCartney
- 1984 - 1994 Mr W.G.S.Parr
- 1994 - 2011 Mr S.J.Loughrey
- 2011–2018 Mr J.A.Maxwell 
- 2019- present Mr Colin Berry
- "Markethill High School" (pdf). Report of a Standard Inspection. Inspection Services Branch, Department of Education. November 2007. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- "Markethill High School". Bygones and Byways. Markethill District Enterprises Limited. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- "Markethill High School" (PDF). Admission to Post Primary Schools. Armagh City and District Council. 2007. Archived from the original (pdf) on 29 September 2011. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- "New principal named at Markethill High School". Armaghi. 23 May 2019.