Dano in November 2014
November 30, 1994|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Weight||215 lb (98 kg; 15 st 5 lb)|
Columbus Blue Jackets|
27th overall, 2013|
Columbus Blue Jackets
Marko Daňo (born November 30, 1994) is an Austrian-born Slovak professional ice hockey right winger who is currently a player for the Columbus Blue Jackets. He most recently played for the Manitoba Moose in the American Hockey League (AHL), while under contract to the Winnipeg Jets of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was originally drafted by the Columbus Blue Jackets in the first round, 27th overall, at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft and made his NHL debut in 2014. Prior to playing in the NHL, Daňo played professionally for Slovan Bratislava of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) for two seasons.
Daňo played in the 2007 Quebec International Pee-Wee Hockey Tournament with a youth team from Bratislava. He was ranked twelfth among International Skaters by the NHL Central Scouting Services in their final rankings for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. He was selected in the first round, 27th overall by the Columbus Blue Jackets. Daňo returned to Slovan Bratislava of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) for the 2013–14 season. On March 14, 2014, the Blue Jackets signed Daňo to a three-year, entry level contract.
Daňo made his NHL debut on October 9, 2014, against the Buffalo Sabres and scored his first career NHL goal, assist and point two days later, on October 11, his second game, against the New York Rangers. He played eight games with Columbus to begin the 2014–15 season before being assigned to the Springfield Falcons, the Blue Jackets' American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate. In February 2015, however, he was recalled back to Columbus, where he played for the rest of regular season. Daňo finished the NHL season with eight goals and 13 assists (21 points) in 35 games played, as well as the AHL season with 11 goals and eight assists (19 points) in 39 games.
On June 30, 2015, Daňo, along with Jeremy Morin, Artem Anisimov and Corey Tropp, were traded to the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for Brandon Saad, Alex Broadhurst and Michael Paliotta. After attending the Blackhawks training camp in preparation for the 2015–16 season, Daňo as a key piece in the Saad trade was surprisingly reassigned to AHL affiliate, the Rockford IceHogs to begin the year and continue his development. On November 2, 2015, Daňo was recalled by the Blackhawks to the NHL. He made his Chicago debut that night in a 4-2 victory against the Los Angeles Kings. He featured in 13 games with the Blackhawks scoring a goal and an assist before he was returned to the IceHogs.
On February 25, 2016, Daňo and the Blackhawks' first-round pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft were traded to the Winnipeg Jets in exchange for Andrew Ladd, Jay Harrison and Matt Fraser. In 21 games for the Jets, he recorded four goals and eight points in 21 games. The following season, Daňo had eleven points in 38 games. He also skated in six games for the team's AHL affiliate, the Manitoba Moose. On June 13, 2017, the Jets re-signed Daňo to a one-year contract worth $850,000. On July 24, 2018, Daňo re-signed with the Jets, to a one year contract, worth $800,000.
After beginning the 2018–19 season as a healthy scratch, on October 14, 2018, the Jets placed Daňo on waivers. He was claimed by division rivals, the Colorado Avalanche the following day. Daňo went scoreless in eight games for the club with 7 penalty minutes before on November 22, he was placed back on waivers. The following day, he re-joined the Jets when they claimed him and was immediately re-assigned to the AHL to join the Manitoba Moose. In remaining in the AHL for the remainder of the season, Daňo contributed with 12 goals and 30 points in 51 games for the Moose.
On June 25, 2019, Daňo's tenure with the Jets ended after he was not tendered a qualifying offer, releasing him as a free agent. He signed a 1-year, 2-way contract with the Blue Jackets on 8 August.
Regular season and playoffs
|2014–15||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||35||8||13||21||14||—||—||—||—||—|
- "Pee-Wee players who have reached NHL or WHA" (PDF). Quebec International Pee-Wee Hockey Tournament. 2018. Retrieved January 5, 2019.
- "CSS Final 2013 International Skater Rankings". NHL.com.
- "Blue Jackets sign First round pick Mark Dano to three-year entry level contract". Columbus Blue Jackets. March 14, 2014. Retrieved March 14, 2014. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Atkinson's two goals lead Blue Jackets past Rangers". October 12, 2014. Retrieved January 17, 2015.
- "First NHL Goal: Dano pockets two points in Blue Jackets' win". November 11, 2014. Retrieved January 17, 2015.
- "Blue Jackets recall forward Dana Tyrell from Springfield, send forward Marko Dano to AHL team". November 8, 2014. Retrieved January 17, 2015.
- "Blue Jackets recall Marko Dano from Springfield Falcons (AHL)". February 16, 2015. Retrieved April 14, 2015.
- Peters, Chris (June 30, 2015). "Blackhawks trade Brandon Saad to Blue Jackets in 7-player deal". CBS Sports. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- "Blackhawks recall Dano, assign Bickell". Chicago Blackhawks. November 2, 2015. Retrieved November 2, 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Marko Dano makes Blackhawks debut in win". Chicago Tribune. November 2, 2015. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- "Blackhawks make big move in bringing back winger Andrew Ladd". Chicago Tribune. February 25, 2016. Retrieved February 25, 2016.
- "Canucks' Biega, Jets' Dano placed on waivers - Sportsnet.ca". Sportsnet.ca. Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- Stephens, Matt L. "Avalanche claims Marko Dano on waivers from the Winnipeg Jets". The Denver Post. Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- "Jets claim forward Marko Dano off waivers from Avalanche". Sportsnet. Retrieved November 23, 2018.
- "Jets won't qualify Beaulieu, Morrow". The Sports Network. June 25, 2019. Retrieved June 25, 2019. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "CBJ sign C Marko Dano to 1-year, 2-way deal". NHL.com. August 8, 2019. Retrieved August 8, 2019.
- "Slovakia reaches world hockey quarters". Calgary Herald. May 19, 2013. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- "Marko Daňo's NHL Draft Profile". National Hockey League. June 27, 2013. Retrieved June 27, 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Biographical information and career statistics from NHL.com, or Eliteprospects.com, or Hockey-Reference.com, or The Internet Hockey Database
|Awards and achievements|
| Columbus Blue Jackets first round draft pick