|Markus Wolfgang Büchler|
22 July 1955 |
|Education||University of Heidelberg, Free University of Berlin, University of Ulm|
|Institutions||University of Bern (Inselspital), University of Heidelberg (University Hospital Heidelberg)|
|Specialism||General surgery, Organ transplantation, Oncology|
Büchler was born in Saarlouis, Saar Protectorate (nowadays Saarland federated state in south-west Germany) to Eugene Büchler, a medical internist, and his wife Erika. He spent his school years in Dillingen and in the catholic boarding school Lender in Sasbach.
From 1974 to 1979, Büchler studied medicine at the Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg. Subsequently, he trained in general and cardiovascular surgery at the Free University of Berlin, where, upon completion of the training in 1980, he obtained the medical license. In the same year he defended his doctoral thesis and received the Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Heidelberg. He further specialised in surgery at the University of Ulm, where he qualified for habilitation and was appointed an attending surgeon in 1987. In 1991 he became associate professor and the vice chairman of the Department of Surgery at the university. In 1993, Büchler moved to Switzerland where he became professor of surgery and chairman of the Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery at the University of Bern, Inselspital. In 1999 he also headed the Department of Gastrointestinal, Liver and Lung Diseases. Since 2001 he is professor of surgery and chairman of the Department of General, Visceral and Transplantation Surgery at the University Hospital Heidelberg. Since 2003 he is managing medical director of the Department of Surgery at the university. In parallel, he heads the Departments of Surgery at Salem hospital in Heidelberg since 2005, at the General Hospital in Sinsheim since 2009, at the General Hospital in Eberbach since 2012, and at the General Hospital in Heppenheim since 2013.
Practical and research activities
Büchler's specialty is surgery of the gastrointestinal tract, hepatobiliary system, and organ transplantation. In particular he specializes in surgical treatment of pancreatic cancer and chronic pancreatitis. At his initiative, the European Pancreas Center was established at the Heidelberg university hospital.
Markus Büchler was elected president of the Swiss Society for Visceral Surgery in 1999 and 2000, vice-president of the Swiss Surgical Society in 2000, president of the European Pancreatic Club in 2002, president of the International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (IHPBA, 2006–2008), chairman of the German Society for General and Visceral Surgery (DGAV) for the 2010-2011 period and president of the German Surgical Society of Surgery (DGCH) in 2012.
Büchler has been awarded the degree of a Honorary Professor by the Railway Medical College of Nanjing, PR China, by the Southeast University of Nanjing, PR China, by the Huazhong University of Science and Technology in Wuhan, China, by the University of the Republic in Montevideo, Uruguay and by the Nanjing Medical University; PR China. He has been awarded a honorary medical doctorate by the Iuliu Hațieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Cluj-Napoca, the Vasile Goldiş West University in Arad, Romania, the University of Belgrade, Serbia, the Belarusian Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education in Minsk, and by Vilnius University, Lithuania.
- Ludwig Rehn Award of the Middle Rhine Area Association of Surgeons (1987)
- Research Award of the Society of Computed Body Tomography and Magnetic Resonance (1991)
- Award of the European Association for Gastroenterology and Endoscopy (1993)
- Research Prize of the Swiss Society of Surgery (1995)
- Surgery Prize of the Swiss Society of Surgery (1996)
- Max Siurala Award, Finnish Society of Gastroenterology (2005)
- Anthony Gimbernat Award, Catalan Society of Surgery (2005)
- Hippocrates Award, Hellenic Society for Internal Medicine (2006)
- Amundsen Medal of the Institute for Surgical Research University of Oslo (2013)
- Rudolf-Zenker Prize of the German Surgical Association (DGCH) (2014)
Büchler is married with Hedwig Maria Breunig-Büchler and has four children.
- Markus W. Büchler. The Pancreopedia.
- "Curriculum Vitae Professor Dr. Markus W. Büchler" (PDF). German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
- "Der Arzt, dem Mubarak vertraut". Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). 8 August 2011. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- "Interview mit Prof. Markus Büchler" (pdf). Heidoskop (in German) (4). 2011. pp. 51–57. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- "Director of the Clinic for General, Visceral and Transplantation Surgery". Heidelberg surgery hospital. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- Markus W. Büchler (1981). "Structural analysis of Meckel's diverticulum with special reference to endocrine cells". Norm. Pathol. Anat. 41: 41. PMID 7335488.
- "Prof. Dr. med. Markus W. Büchler". Heidelberg surgery hospital. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "European Pancreas Center". Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "Publications of M. W. Büchler". PubMed. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "Message from the President Markus Büchler". HPB. Oxford. 9 (1): 75–78. 2007. doi:10.1080/13651820701191476.
- "Former chairmen". German Society for General and Visceral Surgery.
- "Frühere Präsidenten der DGCH" (in German). German Society of Surgery.
- Поджелудочная в "немецком порядке". Медицинский вестник (in Russian). 8 December 2011. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "Ludwig Rehn Award Winners". Middle Rhine Area Association of Surgeons. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- "Max Siurala Award". Finnish Society of Gastroenterology. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- "Pedro Virgil and Anthony Gimbernat Awards" (in Catalan). Catalan Society of Surgery. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- "Preisträger der DGCH". www.dgch.de. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- "Video: Interview with Markus Büchler and an operation of pancreas". European Pancreas Center / Sat1. Retrieved 21 March 2012.