Markus Hilgert (born 11 August 1969) is a German Assyriologist and the current director of the Vorderasiatisches Museum at the Pergamonmuseum in Berlin, a position he has held since 2014. From 2007 until 2014, Hilgert was a professor of Assyriology at Heidelberg University.
Hilgert is a member of several governing bodies and advisory boards, including the German Commission for UNESCO (since 2016)., the Foundation Board of the International Alliance for the Protection of Heritage in Conflict Areas (ALIPH; since 2017), the Advisory Group of the Cultural Protection Fund of the British Council (since 2017), and the Disaster Risk Management Committee of the International Council of Museums (since 2017).
- Literature by and about Markus Hilgert in the German National Library catalogue
- Homepage of Prof. Dr. Markus Hilgert at the Philipps-Universität Marburg (CV, Publications)
- Rolf Brockschmidt: Archäologie und Textwissenschaft: Frühes Lesen auf der Agora, Tagesspiegel, 19 September 2013
- Rolf Brockschmidt, Rüdiger Schaper: An den Ufern von Babylon, Tagesspiegel, 17 March 2014
- Das Zerstörungswerk hat viele Väter. Interview mit Tilman Spreckelsen. Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, 18 March 2015