Markus Kuhn (computer scientist)
Markus Guenther Kuhn|
1971 (age 46–47)
Munich, West Germany
|Known for||EURion constellation|
|Thesis||Compromising emanations: eavesdropping risks of computer displays (2002)|
|Doctoral advisor||Ross J. Anderson|
|Doctoral students||Steven Murdoch|
Kuhn's main research interests include computer security, in particular the hardware and signal-processing aspects of it, and distributed systems. He is known, among other things, for his work on security microcontrollers, compromising emanations, and distance-bounding protocols. He developed the Stirmark test for digital watermarking schemes, the OTPW one-time password system, and headed the project that extended the X11 misc-fixed fonts to Unicode.
In 2002, he published a new method for eavesdropping CRT screens.
In 2010 Kuhn was asked to analyse the ADE 651, a device used in Iraq that was said to be a bomb-detecting device; he found that it contained nothing but an anti-theft tag and said that it was "impossible" that the device could detect anything whatsoever.
Awards and honours
- Markus Kuhn author profile page at the ACM Digital Library
- Kuhn, M. G. (1998). "Cipher instruction search attack on the bus-encryption security microcontroller DS5002FP". IEEE Transactions on Computers. 47 (10): 1153–1157. doi:10.1109/12.729797.
- Kuhn, M. G. (2002). "Optical time-domain eavesdropping risks of CRT displays". Proceedings 2002 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy. pp. 3–4. doi:10.1109/SECPRI.2002.1004358. ISBN 0-7695-1543-6.
- Hancke, G. P.; Kuhn, M. G. (2005). "An RFID Distance Bounding Protocol". First International Conference on Security and Privacy for Emerging Areas in Communications Networks (SECURECOMM'05). p. 67. doi:10.1109/SECURECOMM.2005.56. ISBN 0-7695-2369-2.
- Petitcolas, F. A. P.; Anderson, R. J.; Kuhn, M. G. (1999). "Information hiding-a survey". Proceedings of the IEEE. 87 (7): 1062. doi:10.1109/5.771065.
- Kuhn, M. G. (2011). "Compromising emanations of LCD TV sets". 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility. pp. 931–936. doi:10.1109/ISEMC.2011.6038442. ISBN 978-1-4577-0812-1.
- Markus Kuhn at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Murdoch, Steven James (2008). Covert channel vulnerabilities in anonymity systems (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge.
- The Blue Book – "The Computer Laboratory: an Introduction", University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory, Oct 2006 Archived 4 February 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- Markus Kuhn publications indexed by Google Scholar
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic
- Markus G. Kuhn at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Markus Kuhn's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database, a service provided by Elsevier. (subscription required)
- Markus Kuhn (19 June 1994). "MS-DOS Videocrypt smart card emulator".
- "Iraq backing for 'bomb detector'". BBC News. 24 January 2010.
- UTF-8 and Unicode FAQ for Unix/Linux
- P. Heyderhoff: Bundeswettbewerb Informatik. Informatik Spektrum, Vol. 11, pp. 107–108, Springer-Verlag, 1988
- P. Heyderhoff: Informatik-Olympiade. Informatik Spektrum, Vol. 12, p. 235, Springer-Verlag, 1989
- Results of the IOI 1989 Archived 28 June 2007 at the Wayback Machine.