This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Markus Lupfer is a German fashion designer and founder of the eponymous company based in London, United Kingdom. He is best known for his statement knitwear designs and sequinned lip-motif appliqués.
Life and career
Lupfer was born in the south of Germany. After attending University in Trier he decided to move to the UK to study fashion design at London’s University of Westminster whose alumni includes other well-known designers such as Vivienne Westwood and Burberry’s chief executive officer Christopher Bailey. Graduating from Westminster in 1997 with a first-class honours degree his career immediately took off when his final year collection was bought by one of London’s most reputable new-design-talent boutiques Koh Samui and was sold within two weeks. In 1999, the young designer makes his prêt-à-porter London Fashion Week debut and quickly became a regular. His unique designs are adored by fashion critics and celebrities alike and Lupfer has won a loyal customer base all over the world. His clothes have been worn by a wide range of celebrities reaching from Rihanna, Madonna, Beyoncé, Miley Cyrus, Jennifer Lopez and Katy Perry to Olivia Palermo, Ellie Bamber, Maisie Williams, Cara Delevingne, Elle Macpherson, Salma Hayek, Claudia Schiffer amongst others. In addition, the Duchess of Cambridge has worn the brand during her Royal Tour to Germany in 2017.
Markus Lupfer is particularly known for his unique statement knitwear designs and sequinned lip-motif appliqués. The inspiration for his easily recognisable lip design originates in the designer’s custom of signing letters with little hand-drawn kisses. Vogue.com’s Chief Fashion Critic Sarah Mower describes his approach to sequinned embroidery as “very clever in making his sequinned sweaters an item with a bit of a cult following that draws followers from a really surprisingly broad customer-base. They strike such a great balance between easy and dressed-up and witty and smart – pieces to make people from teenagers to grown ups smile and feel good in it almost anywhere“. Furthermore, Lupfer is known for his use of experimental textiles, playful and vibrant prints, detailed craftsmanship as well as handcrafted embroideries. His collections include both day and evening wear and are known to be contemporary and glamorous as well as comfortable and easy to wear.
Markus Lupfer is sold in many of the most exclusive retailers worldwide, including Harrods, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols, Net-A-Porter, IT Hong Kong, Le Bon Marche Paris, Isetan, Hanwha Galleria, Shopbop, and Tsum.
Markus Lupfer won his first award, the British Fashion Council’s New Generation Award, in 2001 shortly after leaving university. In 2008, Lupfer received the Best Designer of the Year-Award at the Prix de la Mode Awards in Spain and two years later, in 2010, became the International Designer of the Year at the Scottish Fashion Awards.
- Schipp, Anke. "Statement Sweater: Vom Langweiler zum Bestseller". Faz.net. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- Roth, Anna-Lena (15 September 2014). "Deutscher Designer in London: "Warum werden Sie so gern kopiert, Herr Lupfer?"". Spiegel.de. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- Swash, Rosie (4 July 2011). "Q&A: Markus Lupfer discusses his fashion mockumentary". The Guardian. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- "Westminster BA Fashion students show at London Fashion Week". Westminster.ac.uk. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- Shurvell, Joanne. "Six Highlights From London Fashion Week Spring Summer 2018". Forbes.com. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- Holt, Bethan (20 July 2017). "The Duchess of Cambridge masters cocktail glamour on her final night in Germany". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- "An exclusive interview with Markus Lupfer". Globalblue.com. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- [dead link]
- "Markus Lupfer Wants to Give America Sparkle - Interview Magazine". Interviewmagazine.com. 12 January 2010. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- "Markus Lupfer Studio Interview And Images". Refinery29.com. Retrieved 14 September 2018.