|Born||Mark Angelo Cadaweng Cielo
May 12, 1988
Butuan, Agusan del Norte, Philippines
|Died||December 7, 2008
Antipolo, Rizal, Philippines
|Cause of death||Acute pancreatitis|
|Other names||Marky Cielo
|Occupation||Actor, dancer Singer|
Mark Angelo Cadaweng Cielo (May 12, 1988 – December 7, 2008), better known as Marky Cielo, was a Filipino actor, dancer, and the first known Igorot in Philippine showbiz. He is notable for his win in the reality talent competition StarStruck (March 12, 2006). During his two-year career, he was able to star in several television shows and in one film, notably Fantastikids (2006), Asian Treasures (2007), Boys Nxt Door (2007), Zaido: Pulis Pangkalawakan (2007–2008), Sine Novela: Kaputol ng Isang Awit (2008), and his final performance, LaLola (2008). He also voiced the character Ichigo Kurosaki in the anime Bleach (2007).
Mark Angelo Cadaweng Cielo, better known as Boknoi to his family and friends, was born on May 12, 1988 at Manuel J. Santos Hospital in Butuan in Agusan del Norte, where he lived with his mother, Mildred Ban-eg Cadweng and sister, Marcel Andrea or "Bonsai". In 2001, he and his family moved to Bauko, Mountain Province to live with their other relatives, who are of Igorot descent. As a student of the local high school, San Isidro, he would soon become proud of his indigenous roots, despite being raised in the Roman Catholic environment. He fluently spoke Kankana-ey, a language spoken in the Cordilleras. Aside from this, he was also fluent in English, Ilocano, Tagalog, and Visayan languages (specifically Butuanon and Cebuano). According to his life story in Magpakailanman, his parents separated when he was still young and his mother took care of him, along with his sister on her own. Despite this, he was able to reunite with his father, Avelino "Bobby" Cielo, and spend time with him after many years. Later in his life, he had stated, privately, that he truly loves his father.
Prior to his career, Cielo was a freshman studying Architecture at Saint Louis University, Baguio in Benguet, where he was a member of SLU Dance Troupe. When his classmates and close friends convinced him to audition for Starstruck, he accepted so he joined under the stage name, Marky Cielo. He audition for Starstruck where he emerged as "Ultimate Male Survivor" and the first and only "Sole Survivor", defeating his fellow contestants Jackie Rice, Gian Carlos, Iwa Moto, Chuck Allie, and Arci Muñoz. He is the first Igorot ever to join a talent contest. He won 10 million pesos worth of prizes and an exclusive GMA talent management contract, and a house and lot in Antipolo, Rizal. He and his family moved to this new home only on 2008, during his birthday, May 12. Prior to that, he lived in Pasig.
Soon after winning StarStruck, Cielo made his debut as the lead role Daniel Trinidad in the fantasy television show, Fantastikids. After this, he began to appear in primetime with guest starring roles in shows first in Encantadia: Pag-ibig Hanggang Wakas (as Arman), then Bakekang (as Miguelito "Michael" Dimayacyac) and Asian Treasures (as Mateo Madrigal);, as well as a leading role in the Sunday afternoon drama, Boys Nxt Door, which is dubbed in Malay by 8TV and is to be the first Philippine drama to air on KBS2 of South Korea. In 2007, he and fellow StarStruck graduates, Yasmien Kurdi and Rainier Castillo decided to shift from mainstream acting to voice acting for a while by trying characters from the anime Bleach, such as Ichigo Kurosaki. During the same year, he won the Guillermo Mendoza Memorial Scholarship Foundation Award for Most Promising Male Artist. He was soon chosen by his network to be the main protagonist in the Philippine remake of Uchuu Keiji Shaider as Alexis del Mundo or Shaider but Dennis Trillo and Aljur Abrenica were included so the show was reformatted to Zaido: Pulis Pangkalawakan, a spin-off sequel to the Metal Hero Series. He joined the cast of Sine Novela: Kaputol ng Isang Awit, which also stars Glaiza de Castro, Lovi Poe and Jolo Revilla. He was also a spokesman for Department of Health and was seen in a no-smoking ad campaign with secretary Francisco Duque III. In 2008, he joined the cast of Codename: Asero then LaLola. His last appearance was in LaLola, in which he portrayed the character Billy Lobregat.
Cielo, 20, was found unconscious on December 7, 2008 by his mother. The night before, he was last seen playing an online video game up until ten o'clock in the evening in an internet cafe in Quezon City. Marky is said to have made several unanswered calls to his manager-mentor. When he arrived home, he had a discussion with his mother about "something personal". His mother advised Marky to sort out his problem, “Lutasin mo ang problema mo; ikaw lang ang makakalutas n’yan.”  The next morning, his mother entered his room in their house in Antipolo at around six o'clock AM to wake him up for a charity event. When he did not respond, she immediately rushed him to the nearby Antipolo Doctors Hospital where he was declared dead on arrival. At present, the cause of Cielo’s death remains unknown. This led to speculations of suicide precipitated by threats which allegedly came from the son of Governor Luis "Chavit" Singson, Ronald due to him being too close to Lovi Poe. These facts were never discussed or even became and angle for the police to dig more into the case because of their fear of getting caught up with the influence of Gov. Singson.
His wake was held in his home for three days then his remains were brought to the Cathedral of the Resurrection in Baguio City, where it stayed for a day. He was buried on December 15, in Bauko, Mountain Province, in his family's backyard according to traditional Kankanaey custom.
|2008||LaLola (His Last TV Appearance)||Billy Lobregat / Enrico||GMA Network|
|All Star K||Contestant|
|Codename: Asero||Troy / Agent Beatbox|
|GMA News and Public Affairs presents Kalam||Host|
|One Proud Mama||Featured Guest||Q|
|Joaquin Bordado||Young Joaquin Apacible / Young Joaquin Bordado||GMA Network|
|Sine Novela: Kaputol Ng Isang Awit||Eric Valderama|
|2007/2008||Zaido: Pulis Pangkalawakan||Alexis Lorenzo / Zaido Green / Sigma|
|2007||Asian Treasures||Mateo Madrigal|
|Boys Nxt Door||Mario Alberto "Buboy" Almante|
|2006||Till I Met You||Bryan||This was the (first and last) only Marky Cielo's movie.|
|2008||Bleach: Memories of Nobody||Ichigo Kurosaki (voice)||This was Cielo's last voice performance.|
- Posthimously Celebrity Inductee Winner, Eastwood City Walk Of Fame Philippines 2009
- Guillermo Mendoza's Most Promising Male Star of 2007
- Candy Mag's 100 Candy Cuties(#17)
- Cosmopolitan Top 69 Bachelors
- Yes! Magazine's The next Big Thing
- Yes! Magazine's 100 Most Beautiful Stars Of 2007
- StarStruck's First and Only Ultimate Sole Survivor(2006)
- "Film # 007877019 Image Film # 007877019; ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSWQ-H9QG-K — FamilySearch.org". Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- Startalk. 2008-12-13. GMA Network.
- "The last dance of Marky Cielo". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- Showbiz Central. 2008-12-14. GMA Network.
- "Cordillerans mourn Marky Cielo's death". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- "Actor Marky Cielo dead-Cause of death still unknown". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2008-12-14.
- "The Marky Cielo Story". Magpakailanman. 2006. GMA Network.
- "Marky Cielo and his inspiring legacy in showbiz". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- "Marky Cielo finally gets to use house and lot he won in StarStruck". GMA News. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- "Young actor Marky Cielo, 20, is dead". GMA News. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- "Defunct GMA-7 teen show "Boys Nxt Door" to air in Malaysia and South Korea.". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- "Rainier Castillo is happy for Mark Herras's success". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 2008-12-11. (Tagalog)
- Crispina Belen. "Regal Baby and senatorial contender Richard Gomez has Mother Lily's full support". GMA News. Retrieved 2008-12-11.[dead link]
- "GMA-7 acquires exclusive rights to Shaider". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- ""Shaider" will not fly anymore on Philippine television". pep.ph. Retrieved 2007-07-11.
- "Young actor Marky Cielo dies". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- "Marky Cielo spent his last night playing online video game". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- "Tulungan mo kami na harapin na wala ka.-—-Mrs. Mildred Cadaweng to son Marky Cielo". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- "Marky Cielo's death remains a mystery". GMA News. Retrieved 2008-12-11. (Tagalog)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 22, 2011. Retrieved June 24, 2011.
- 24 Oras. 2008-12-10. GMA Network.
- Ricky Lo. "She 'Didith' her way". Philippine Star. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- "PEP: Marky Cielo's burial is set on December 15". GMA News. Retrieved 2008-12-11. Tagalog)