|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
A Marlborough Mall entrance
|Address||515 Marlborough Way NE|
|Management||20 VIC Management Inc.|
|No. of stores and services||107|
|No. of anchor tenants||2 (major)|
|Total retail floor area||52,191.9 m2 (561,789 sq ft)|
|No. of floors||1|
Marlborough Mall is a shopping mall located in Calgary, Alberta. Opened in 1972, the mall has expanded several times and today includes approximately 100 stores and services, and encompasses over 584,000 square feet. The mall also featured a Safeway until the 1990s, when the store moved to its own location west of 36th Street.
Physically it shares the same block as the Applewood Village condominiums. The south and west ends of the mall are bound by 4-lane divided roads. The mall itself is located in a residential zone on the edges of the Franklin commercial area and is nearly surrounded by other commercial ventures. To the west lies a commercial park with a car dealership and several mini-malls and standalone retailers. One block to the northwest lies Pacific Place (formerly Franklin Mall) and directly north is a strip mall. The larger, 2 level Sunridge Mall as well as a Real Canadian Superstore outlet is one C-Train stop to the north, about 2000 metres away, itself in a very large commercial setting with several blocks of stores concentrated together.
In 2005 the mall underwent a total interior renovation that saw the addition of new tile, additional skylights, and a new mall corridor to access an expansion of Wal-Mart that allowed the addition of several small retailers. Construction of a modest, 10,000 sq ft (930 m2). expansion began in the summer of 2010 and will involve the addition of a loading dock and space for three new retailers; construction is scheduled to end in December 2010.
2016 machete attack
On September 17, 2016, an assailant armed with a machete attacked a shopper and a police officer. One victim escaped with minor injuries, but the other remains in hospital with critical injuries.
The mall has served as a focal point for social events, hosting a small carnival midway in the west parking lot every summer in the 1970s and 1980s. The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus has also operated from the west parking lot in the past. Other community activities have included geology displays by the University of Calgary.
The mall is fully enclosed and built as a split level, with the northern portion of the mall slightly higher than the southern. A standard 13-unit food court is located where the split occurs, and has both an upper and lower deck for seating.
A five story "professional building" houses medical offices including dental, general practice, and sports medicine.
- Note: the above diagrams contain an error; Simpsons-Sears should be on the 1990 map, and Sears on the 2005 one.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marlborough Mall.|
- This includes administrative areas and interior trafficways, not just retail space.Project website, accessed Sept. 27, 2010
- As indicated in the article on anchor stores, it was found that grocery stores make poor anchors as visits to the store result in few stops to other shops.
- Project website, accessed Sept. 27, 2010
- Ramsay, Caley (18 September 2016). "Calgary police officer remains in hospital after machete attack at Marlborough Mall". Global News. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- "Two injured, including Calgary cop, after shooting at Marlborough Mall". Calgary Sun. 17 September 2016. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- U of C article[permanent dead link]