Marlon Vera (fighter)
|Born||Marlon Andres Vera Delgado|
December 2, 1992
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Reach||71 in (180 cm)|
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Marlon Vera (born December 2, 1992) is an Ecuadorian mixed martial artist who competes in the Bantamweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He first appeared on The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America.
Vera is married to María Paulina Escobar. They have 2 daughters, Ana Paula (b. 2011), Eliana (b. 2018) and a son, José Igancio (b. 2015). Ana Paula has a rare neurological condition Möbius syndrome, for which Vera created GoFundMe account. In June 2018, Vera told they have raised sufficient donations for a surgery, which is planned to take place in California during the summer 2018.
Vera signed an advertisement deal with Pepsi where his fans will get to see him on billboards all across his home country.
Mixed martial arts career
A native of Chone, Ecuador, Vera began training as an amateur in 2011 and made his professional debut in February 2012.
The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America
Over the course of the show, Vera first defeated Enrique Briones in the quarterfinals via knockout. Subsequently, Vera was forced out of his semi-final bout with a skin infection and was replaced by Guido Cannetti.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Vera was expected to face Ning Guangyou on August 20, 2016 at UFC 202. Subsequently, on August 9, 2016 it was revealed that Guangyou had tested positive for trace amounts of clenbuterol in relation to an out-of-competition drug test taken on May 19. Guangyou was cleared of wrongdoing after it was determined by USADA that he had possibly ingested tainted meat from China. As a result, he will not be punished in any way. The bout was rescheduled and expected to take place the following week at UFC on Fox 21. In turn, the bout was postponed again due to alleged visa issues for Guangyou, which restricted the timing of his travel. The pairing eventually took place at featherweight on November 27, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 101. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
Vera was an injury replacement for Henry Briones to face Brad Pickett on March 18, 2017 at UFC Fight Night 107. Due to the short notice and preparation for Vera, the bout was contested at a catchweight of 140 lbs. He won the fight via TKO in the third round for which he was awarded a Performance of the Night bonus.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|18 matches||12 wins||5 losses|
|Win||12–5–1||Guido Cannetti||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Magny vs. Ponzinibbio||November 17, 2018||2||1:31||Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|Win||11–5–1||Wuliji Buren||TKO (punch to the body)||UFC 227||August 4, 2018||2||4:53||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Loss||10–5–1||Douglas Silva de Andrade||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Anders||February 3, 2018||3||5:00||Belém, Brazil|
|Loss||10–4–1||John Lineker||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Brunson vs. Machida||October 28, 2017||3||5:00||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||10–3–1||Brian Kelleher||Submission (armbar)||UFC on Fox: Weidman vs. Gastelum||July 22, 2017||1||2:18||Uniondale, New York, United States|
|Win||9–3–1||Brad Pickett||TKO (head kick and punches)||UFC Fight Night: Manuwa vs. Anderson||March 18, 2017||3||3:50||London, England||Catchweight (140 lbs) bout. Performance of the Night.|
|Win||8–3–1||Ning Guangyou||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Whittaker vs. Brunson||November 27, 2016||3||5:00||Melbourne, Australia||Featherweight bout.|
|Loss||7–3–1||Davey Grant||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Silva vs. Bisping||February 27, 2016||3||5:00||London, England|
|Win||7–2–1||Roman Salazar||Submission (triangle choke)||UFC Fight Night: Teixeira vs. Saint Preux||August 8, 2015||2||2:15||Nashville, Tennessee, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||6–2–1||Marco Beltrán||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 180||November 15, 2014||3||5:00||Mexico City, Mexico|
|Win||6–1–1||D'Juan Owens||Submission (heel hook)||Inka FC 24||October 23, 2013||1||1:54||Lima, Peru|
|Loss||5–1–1||Bruno Leandro Lobato||Decision (unanimous)||Inka FC 23||August 24, 2013||3||5:00||Lima, Peru|
|Draw||5–0–1||Fábio Bispo||Draw||Inka FC 22||June 29, 2013||3||5:00||Lima, Peru|
|Win||5–0||Luis Roberto Herrera||Decision (unanimous)||FMP 16 - Mexican Fighters Promotions 16||May 25, 2013||1||1:50||Chihuahua City, Mexico|
|Win||4–0||Joel Iglesias||KO (elbows)||300 Sparta||April 24, 2013||1||4:04||Lima, Peru|
|Win||3–0||Javier Umana Munoz||Submission (triangle choke)||Panama Fight League - Ultimate Combat Challenge 13||October 12, 2012||2||4:44||Panama City, Panama|
|Win||2–0||Cesar Moreno||Decision (unanimous)||Samurai FC 7 - Peace and War||July 18, 2012||3||5:00||Quito, Ecuador|
|Win||1–0||Jack Guzman||Submission (triangle choke)||EMMA 2 - Extreme FC: Conflicto||February 20, 2012||1||0:00||Santa Elena, Ecuador|
- "Staff – TEAM OYAMA – MIXED MARTIAL ARTS & FITNESS". Team Oyama. Retrieved July 22, 2017.
- Stupp, Dann. "UFC Fight Night 73 winner Marlon Vera fighting to pay off his daughter's surgery". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-02.
- Johns, Craig. "UFC London: Davey Grant 'over the moon' with comeback win over Marlon Vera after injury-hell". Chronicle Live. Retrieved 2016-03-02.
- Danny Segura (June 21, 2018). "Marlon Vera's daughter to undergo surgery on Friday for Moebius syndrome". mmafighting.com.
- "Marlon Vera Gets Pepsi Advertisement Deal | Fightful MMA". www.fightful.com. Retrieved 2017-09-26.
- Jesse Holland (2014-05-14). "The Ultimate Fighter (TUF): 'Latin America' cast revealed for 'Velasquez vs. Werdum'". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- Danny Downes (2014-09-14). "Episode Five recap: The Ultimate Fighter Latin America". ufc.com. Retrieved 2014-09-14.
- Danny Downes (2014-10-28). "Episode Ten recap: The Ultimate Fighter Latin America". ufc.com. Retrieved 2014-10-28.[permanent dead link]
- Reo Hurskainen (2014-11-10). "UFC 180 Fight Card Finalized with TUF: Latin America Additions". combatpress.com. Retrieved 2014-11-10.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-11-15). "UFC 180 results: Marco Beltran outworks Marlon Vera in UFC's first fight in Mexico". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-11-15.
- Staff (2015-05-29). "Roman Salazar vs. Marlon Vera added to UFC Fight Night in Nashville". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2015-05-29.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-08-08). "UFC Fight Night 73 results: Marlon Vera submits Roman Salazar in second round". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- Mike Sloan (2015-08-08). "UFC Fight Night bonuses: Teixeira, St. Preux, Nunes, Vera pocket $50K in Nashville". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- Staff (2015-12-14). "vs. Vera joins UFC Fight Night 84 in London". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-14.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-02-27). "UFC Fight Night 84 results: Davey Grant overcomes fouls to beat Marlon Vera". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-02-27.
- Danny Segura (2016-07-17). "Marlon Vera vs. Ning Guangyou set for UFC 202". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-07-17.
- "UFC bantamweight Ning Guangyou tests positive for banned substance, will not face suspension". 2016-08-09. Retrieved 2016-08-09.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2016-08-22). "Guangyou-Vera bout off Vancouver card". ufc.com. Retrieved 2016-08-22.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-11-27). "UFC Fight Night 101 results: Marlon Vera has good first, good third for decision over Ning Guangyou". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-11-27.
- Staff (2017-01-06). "Marlon Vera replaces Bryan Caraway, meets Jimmie Rivera at UFC Fight Night 103". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-01-07.
- Newswire (2017-01-07). "Jimmie Rivera explains why he wont fight replacement Marlon Vera: I'll look like a 'bully'". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- John Morgan (2017-01-08). "Jimmie Rivera withdraws from UFC Fight Night 103 after picking Marlon Vera over John Dodson". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-01-08.
- Simon Head (2017-03-11). "Brad Pickett gets new foe for next week's retirement fight at UFC Fight Night 107". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Jed Meshew (2017-03-18). "Marlon Vera retires Brad Pickett with head kick knockout". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- Tristen Critchfield (2017-03-18). "UFC Fight Night 107 bonuses: Manuwa, Nelson, Vera, Diakiese receive $50K checks". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- Dale Jordan (2017-06-07). "Marlon Vera vs. Brian Kelleher added to UFC on FOX 25 in Long Island". mmamad.com. Archived from the original on 2017-09-05. Retrieved 2017-06-07.
- "UFC on FOX 25 results: Marlon Vera's defense leads to slick armbar submission of Brian Kelleher". MMAjunkie. 2017-07-22. Retrieved 2017-07-23.
- Guilherme Cruz (2017-09-19). "UFC adds John Lineker vs. Marlon Vera to Fight Night card in Sao Paulo". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-09-19.
- "UFC Fight Night 119: John Lineker rolls past Marlon Vera by unanimous decision". MMAmania.com. Retrieved 2017-10-29.
- Staff (2018-01-05). "Douglas Silva de Andrade vs. Marlon Vera added to UFC-Belem". mmajnkie.com. Retrieved 2018-01-05.
- "UFC Fight Night 125 results: Douglas Silva de Andrade outworks Marlon Vera in striking battle". MMAjunkie. 2018-02-04. Retrieved 2018-02-04.
- Staff (2018-07-18). "Marlon Vera replaces Bharat Kandare, faces Wuliji Buren at UFC 227". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- "UFC 227 results: Marlon Vera liver shot crumbles Wuliji Buren". MMAjunkie. 2018-08-04. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- DNA, MMA (2018-09-09). "Argentijn Guido Cannetti vecht in geboortestad Buenos Aires tegen Marlon Vera". MMA DNA. Retrieved 2018-09-09.
- "UFC Argentina results: 'Chito' Vera starts slow but stuns, taps Guido Cannetti in second". MMAjunkie. 2018-11-18. Retrieved 2018-11-18.
- Marcel Dorff (2019-01-10). "South American clash between Thomas Almeida and Marlon Vera during UFC 235". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-01-10. (in Dutch)
- Marcel Dorff (2019-01-31). "Following Holm vs. Ladd now also Thomas Almeida vs. Marlon Vera canceled". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-02-01. (in Dutch)
- DNA, MMA. "Frankie Saenz pakt short notice gevecht tegen Marlon Vera tijdens UFC 235 in Las Vegas". Retrieved 2019-02-02.
- Sherdog.com. "Marlon". Sherdog. Retrieved 2018-11-18.