|Opera by Nico Muhly|
by Winston Graham
November 18, 2017
The opera was commissioned by the Metropolitan Opera of New York and was first performed in a co-production of the Met and the English National Opera. The production design, which employed video projections, was by Julian Crouch and 59 Productions, the costumes, by Arianne Phillips, and the stage lighting, by Kevin Adams. The opera premiered at the English National Opera in London on November 18, 2017, and at the Met in New York on October 19, 2018, both directed by Michael Mayer. The New York performances, conducted by Robert Spano (in his Met debut), featured Isabel Leonard (Marnie), Christopher Maltman (Mark Rutland), Iestyn Davies (Terry Rutland), Anthony Dean Griffey (Mr Strutt), Denyce Graves (Marnie's Mother), Ashley Emerson (Laura Fleet), Stacey Tappan (Dawn), Marie Te Hapuku (Miss Fedder), Ian Koziara (Derek). The seventh and last performance of Marnie in the New York season was transmitted in high-definition video as part of the Metropolitan Opera Live in HD series.
|Role||Voice type||Premiere cast, 18 November 2017|
Conductor: Martyn Brabbins
|Mark Rutland||baritone||Daniel Okulitch|
|Terry Rutland||countertenor||James Laing|
|Mrs Rutland||soprano||Lesley Garrett|
|Mr Strutt||tenor||Alasdair Elliott|
|Marnie's Mother||contralto||Kathleen Wilkinson|
|Laura Fleet||soprano||Eleanor Dennis|
|Malcolm Fleet||tenor||Matthew Durkan|
|Dr Roman||bass||Darren Jeffery|
|Little Boy||boy soprano|
|Chorus (office workers, anxiety chorus, hunt riders, country club guests, funeral attendees)|
- "Marnie". ENO. 2017. Archived from the original on September 4, 2017. Retrieved July 26, 2019.
- Woolfe, Zachary (November 22, 2017). "Review: Nico Muhly's Marnie Brings Hitchcock Into the 21st Century". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331.
- Production details, English National Opera
- Park, Elena (October 17, 2018). "Nico Mulhy and Michael Mayer Make Marnie Sing at the Met". Playbill. Retrieved October 21, 2018.
- Driscoll, F. Paul (January 2019). "Marnie New York City, The Metropolitan Opera, 10/19/18". Opera News. 8 (7). Retrieved July 25, 2019.
- Marnie, October 19, 2019 (premiere), Metropolitan Opera Archive.
- Marnie, November 10, 2019 (last night), Metropolitan Opera Archive.
- Ashley, Tim (November 19, 2017). "Marnie review – Nico Muhly's psycho thriller sounds beautiful but fails to thrill". The Guardian.
- "Marnie (November 10, 2018") at Met Opera on Demand. Retrieved July 20, 2019.
- Davidson, Justin (October 21, 2018). "Opera Review: On the Lightness of Nico Muhly's Marnie". Vulture. Retrieved October 21, 2018.
- Fairman, Richard (November 20, 2017). "Marnie – a psychological maze at English National Opera". Financial Times. Archived from the original on October 21, 2018. Retrieved October 21, 2018.
- Fairman, Richard (October 18, 2017). "Opera goes to the movies: composer Nico Muhly on taking on Marnie and Hitchcock". Financial Times. Archived from the original on October 21, 2018. Retrieved October 21, 2018.
- Gewirtzman, David (November 18, 2017). "First Look at the World Premiere of Nico Muhly and Nicholas Wright's Opera Marnie". Playbill. Retrieved October 21, 2018.
- Midgette, Anne (October 21, 2018). "'Marnie' is all too insubstantial at Met Opera premiere". The Washington Post. Retrieved October 21, 2018.
- Tommasini, Anthony (October 21, 2018). "Review: Marnie Stays in the Shadows in Nico Muhly's Opera". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331.
|This article about an English language opera is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|