Maroochy air crash
|Date||30 December 1950|
|Summary||Beach air crash|
|Site||Maroochydore, Queensland, Australia|
|Injuries (non-fatal)||14 (on beach)|
|Fatalities||3 (on beach)|
|Survivors||2 (flight crew)|
|Aircraft type||CAC Wirraway|
|Operator||Royal Australian Air Force|
|Flight origin||Redcliffe, Queensland|
The Maroochy air crash was an aircraft accident that occurred at 11.10am on 30 December 1950 at Maroochydore beach, Queensland, Australia. Three children were killed and fourteen others were seriously injured as a result of the accident.
CAC Wirraway Serial Number A20-212 of the Royal Australian Air Force had been circling between Maroochydore and Alexandra Headland during a routine shark patrol when it suddenly banked steeply and crashed onto the crowded beach in front of the Maroochydore Surf Life Saving Club. The pilot and his observer survived the impact of the crash.
- Graham Blair, age 6, killed 
- Liam O'Connor, age 11, killed 
- Pauline Probert, age 6, killed 
- Robyn Vandersee, age 5, found buried head first in sand, broken arm 
- Beryl Jane Borca, age 32, left foot amputated and compound fracture of the right leg 
- Merle Vinnicombe, age 13, compound fractures of both ankles 
- Flight Lieutenant H.W. Thwaites, age 27, compound fracture of the right leg 
- Sergeant-Fitter Geoffrey Meyer Neill, age 38, head lacerations
- Robyn Gail Austin, age 5, back injuries 
- Linda Iris Hale, age 38, fractured right collarbone, dislocated right shoulder, fractured ribs and shock, at first believed dead 
- Nellie Jane Probert, age 29, compound fracture of the right wrist, serious shock, severe injuries (mother of deceased child)
- Brian John Rowland, age 10, unknown injuries
- Stanley George Holt, age 24, lacerated left foot
- Shane Oldham, age 5, unknown injuries
- Jean Oldham, age 30, unknown injuries
- Eunice McEligott (sp), age 32, unknown injuries
- Enid Shanks, age 34, face, back and hand injuries 
- Roy Simon, age 2, shock 
On 9 March 2013, a 2.4-metre 'Maroochy Air Crash Memorial' was erected at the site in memory of those killed and injured.
- "Site marks plane crash". Sunshine Coast Daily News - Patrick Williams. 29 December 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-30.
- "Shirley remembers losing brother". Sunshine Coast Daily News - Mark Bode. 31 December 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Tragic day in sun never forgotten". The Courier Mail - Peter Hall. 31 December 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "3 killed, 10 hurt when plane crashed on beach". The Advertiser. 1 January 1951. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Survivors recall Wirraway crash". Sunshine Coast Daily News - Mark Bode. 31 December 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Wirraway crash at Maroochydore". Cairns Post. 21 February 1951. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Chaos and horror in Queensland tragedy". The Sunday Herald. 31 December 1950. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Two enquires into aircraft crash on beach". The Mercury. 2 January 1951. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Plane crashes into crowded Maroochydore beach". Cairns Post. 1 January 1951. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- Memorial details
- Sunshine Coast set to have memorial to RAAF aircraft Wirraway after plane crash 60 years ago
- Shirley remembers day she lost young brother (Graham Blair)
- Headstone for Pauline Probert, located in old Nambour Cemetery
- Photo of Liam O'Connor on a camping holiday at Maroochydore, December 1950
- Map of location of air crash
- Marked image of aircraft flight path to beach from The Sunday Mail on 31 December 1950